Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

18 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

holy shit indeed

Spent a bunch of time in shipyards around the world commissioning equipment on drilling rigs and the heavy lift barges never cease to amaze me.  Here,  let's lift the massive topside module at one time and drop it right into place.   That Hyundai 10000 it a 10K ton lift capacity and almost the biggest one out out.  At the Kiewit yard in Ingleside, they built at 13K ton shearleg crane just to lift the Thunderhorse topside modules (production, compression, generator) in one lift each.  I did an equipment survey on the TH in Korea before it was hauled to Kiewit.    IIRC, just the module topside area was about 60 yards by 115 yards.  I paced it off and laughed at the thought of a regulation size football field on the top of a semisubmersible.    /CSB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, davidg said:

Spent a bunch of time in shipyards around the world commissioning equipment on drilling rigs and the heavy lift barges never cease to amaze me.  Here,  let's lift the massive topside module at one time and drop it right into place.   That Hyundai 10000 it a 10K ton lift capacity and almost the biggest one out out.  At the Kiewit yard in Ingleside, they built at 13K ton shearleg crane just to lift the Thunderhorse topside modules (production, compression, generator) in one lift each.  I did an equipment survey on the TH in Korea before it was hauled to Kiewit.    IIRC, just the module topside area was about 60 yards by 115 yards.  I paced it off and laughed at the thought of a regulation size football field on the top of a semisubmersible.    /CSB

Hadn't heard that name in a while. I was working for a production company at the time and shot the Thunderhorse sailout at Ingleside back in 2006. First and last time I ever pointed a camera at something moving under 0.5 mph for 8 straight hours. /CSB

2 hours ago, brakeman said:

You know you're old when the first thought is "That looks dangerous AF. I'd be in traction for ____ days if I crashed."

Still looks like a lot of fun and something I would have done when I was younger.

The guy at 1:45 was lucky he was wearing a helmet because his head went crashing into that wall.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, brakeman said:

We built a cart like this and went down a long dirt road hill that we lived on when I was a kid. We used bike wheels and discarded lumber. No other houses, carts, or people around though. For a bunch of reasons I’m lucky to be alive. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, nnm said:

We built a cart like this and went down a long dirt road hill that we lived on when I was a kid. We used bike wheels and discarded lumber. No other houses, carts, or people around though. For a bunch of reasons I’m lucky to be alive. 

I had a wagon that was factory built to be a downhill racer. It was about twice the size of a regular wagon, the sides were removable so it was completely flat and it had a foot brake on the back. Problem was you had to ride it like the Skeleton, laying face down so you could use the brakes with the pull handle facing forward so you could steer. A true suicide machine.

21 minutes ago, RPM said:

I had a wagon that was factory built to be a downhill racer. It was about twice the size of a regular wagon, the sides were removable so it was completely flat and it had a foot brake on the back. Problem was you had to ride it like the Skeleton, laying face down so you could use the brakes with the pull handle facing forward so you could steer. A true suicide machine.

Was it sprung from cages on Highway 9?? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, brakeman said:

10-year old me would've moved to Mexico if I had known I could go pro at homemade janky cart racing.  2x4s, a plastic seat ripped from a Big Wheel, and a set of lawn mower wheels... I owned the streets of North Austin for a short time but it would've been nice to learn from the masters on the dirt streets of Guadalajara.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2