Del Conte’s Overture to aggy - bad or good look?

Liquor and Poker

I know we have an omnibus aggy thread and one aggy is plenty, but fuck it.  

So espn’s story that Del Conte reached out to schedule aggy in 2022-23 and aggy said they’d rather play Appalachian State, even though they have at least two open non-con slots.  

At first I was upset because I am firmly in the “if you married an ugly, fat bitch and she leaves, throw a party.  Don’t let her come back for godssakes” camp.  

But after the initial revulsion wore off, I’m thinking this is brilliant. No more aggy nonsense about “they’re ducking us.”. No more bullshit from analysts about “those two teams should play yada yada” directed at us. Moral high(er) ground and so forth.  

That’s my take but I still can’t get completely past the idea that we asked.  Anyone else?

Edited by Liquor and Poker
  • Like 4

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of playing eaTme again in the near future.  However, making an overture to do so does kind of put the kibosh on the aggot spin that we're afraid to play them.

It does feel vaguely ignominious to even ask them, but I think that's just pathological thinking on my part.

Because they declined, I think we can just move on from this issue for the foreseeable future.  I'm good with that.

Given that CDC always seems to play the long game, I consider this to be a brilliant, calculated move.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Seeing as it would be the highest viewed and most expensive ticket in those years for us... why not?

For those saying we should never play them again, or don't care, etc, just send your kids to College Station already because your pussification has begun and you are turning into one of them.

Shoot me for wanting better games that I am more interested in. Good on CDC for trying to get back what the rest of college football fans want... more intriguing games.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 3

I'm glad it happened and turned out the way it did with aggy declining...

Having said that and with that done, CDC (and Herman/anyone else associated with the program) should from this point forward COMPLETELY leave it alone and give it no mind whatsoever. If dumbass reporters persist in asking the question simply say "we tried and they declined, we've moved on to schedule more compelling matchups" and then no comment to follow up questions.

That's it, and if $9.95 fuckheads simply won't take no comment for an answer, tell them we'll answer their question in roughly 92 years or some shit.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Great look. He knows they'll say no, so they look weak.

Still can't believe they're comfortable riding into the sunset with HerpDerp running wild over them as their last memory of the rivalry.

It was the most fitting way for the series to end. aggy somehow finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, losing to Case McCoy, and running out of time for eternity. If we had blown them out, it wouldn't have had the effect. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Seeing as it would be the highest viewed and most expensive ticket in those years for us... why not?

For those saying we should never play them again, or don't care, etc, just send your kids to College Station already because your pussification has begun and you are turning into one of them.

Shoot me for wanting better games that I am more interested in. Good on CDC for trying to get back what the rest of college football fans want... more intriguing games.

Thing is, though, the aggy games were intriguing only in theory, except for about a decade 30 years ago.

It's a good look and it also shows the media that this game isn't coming back and it isn't because of us.

And it isn't coming back for good because that just isn't feasible with a 9 conference game schedule and still playing teams like USC, Ohio State, Michigan... Why play a team 100 miles away when you can get more attractive matchups like Michigan.

I think the media is finally getting it.

• Like 2

After the Aggies declined, Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte scheduled Alabama for those two years instead.

Oh, snap.

So how hard would it be to hack A&M's video screen during the 2019 Alabama game and show Herpaderp's run that led to eternal scoreboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think it matters. Nobody cares except for UT and aggy people. And aggy is obviously irrationally dumb, and will either yell "sips are scared to play us" if they think we turned them down or "we're too good for sips" if they think they turned us down. It's akin to the "he's not SEC ready" for any recruit they don't get, or the countless other examples of things they tell themselves to make them feel good. 

If CDC wanted the game, I trust that he wanted it because he thought is would be a net positive for the program and the university from a financial standpoint. Thus, I am glad that he made the call. 

• Like 3

It's a great look for us.  We offered, they put up a lame excuse.  It's in the most aggy paper ever, the Houston Chronicle, and we can finally shut them up on who is ducking who.  We will get them in a bowl for sure, but until then, the fact remains that we offered.

Its great that he reached out and they said no. Shows we're willing to play, shows a&m has a fear of losing to us. They'd rather play the SEC card and get recruits, that card is crap when they lose to us. It's a win and we didnt have to play a game.

23 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

It's a great look for us.  We offered, they put up a lame excuse.  It's in the most aggy paper ever, the Houston Chronicle, and we can finally shut them up on who is ducking who.  We will get them in a bowl for sure, but until then, the fact remains that we offered.

Nope. Would've happened already once (2014), possibly twice last year. They're just being pussies as is aggy.

We should just stop this. Ain't gonna happen because aggy doesn't want it to happen and they knew this when they picked up their ball and went home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Bad look.  We should not play them again unless they rejoin the conference.

Why? UT doesn't need A&M in their conference for any reason. Teams like Baylor and Tech do, but for Texas it doesn't really hurt their bottom line or P5 future.

I say this as a non-Texas or A&M fan, but the fact this game still isn't happening is ridiculous. Texas vs A&M is the reason CFB exists...to see your school play the school of your friends and co-workers. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

It's not in the SECSECSEC best interest to have their Texas recruiting link destroyed by the better big12 school. They tried to trot out Missouri to fuck with us last year in the bowl and got embarrassed. 

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why? UT doesn't need A&M in their conference for any reason. Teams like Baylor and Tech do, but for Texas it doesn't really hurt their bottom line or P5 future.

I say this as a non-Texas or A&M fan, but the fact this game still isn't happening is ridiculous.

Yeah, Texas doesn't need aggy (it's aggy btw, not A&M) in their conference. But for me, the big12 conference keeping fucking BAYLOR is a mistake. We are already in a conference shared with BlowU, who looked away when their star running back knocked some hoe out on camera. This fucking conference makes us look bad in every way possible. 

Scholastically: Complete turds like Tech and Okie lite

Honorable reputation: Huge rape scandal at Baylor and BlowU covering up their players crimes

Football: We have a league full of potential killers (only Kansas and Baylor are cupcakes), have to play them all every year, and the championship game is a guaranteed rematch. None of this helps us because all the teams beat each other and thus, make the conference look weak every year. We know TCU and WVU are pretty tough, but they get ranked fucking 15th in the nation in the preseason. So beating them means diddly shit as far as trying to get ranked high enough for the playoffs.

it's a fucking great look. here's aggy AD's response:

"You look at where national championships come from and the caliber of play, and you see it every week," Woodward said. "It's hard on a team, and it's a pounding. So you have to be careful how you schedule your nonconference games."

in other words, "we don't want to play texas because they're good and we may lose." the fact he then went out and scheduled the best team in college football, who plays the same "brutal" schedule, is so alpha chuck norris blushed.

• Like 1

SEC decides who and where their football teams play in post-season - other than playoff games. SEC will match send agy to play us when they think agy has a better chance against us than they have against Wake Forest or Duke.

agy is not much of an asset to SEC. agy is not an asset, at all, to XII.

In conclusion, fuck agy.

I like the move by CDC because they clearly pussed out and everyone knows it. but does anyone that knows the first thing about aggy really think they will ever stop squawking, facts be damned? it's not the aggy way...they will still talk shit, even after clearly ducking us to try and run the table in the Southland Conference

Edited by Dennis Taylor

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I say this as a non-Texas or A&M fan, but the fact this game still isn't happening is ridiculous. Texas vs A&M is the reason CFB exists...to see your school play the school of your friends and co-workers. 

Uh, no.  Hell fucking no.  Take this shit to the Baylor board.

I could be giving him entirely too much credit, but I choose to believe CDC already had Bama lined up, knew aggy would say no, and asked anyway just so in the exact moment when they felt like they stuck it to us we could announce our date with their prom queen. 

I believe CDC had a strong to very strong indication that a&m would say no. Kind like when you see someone at work that needs help, but they're so strong willed, you know they will say no. You dont want to help them anyways, you know they will say no, then you can always say you tried.

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Uh, no.  Hell fucking no.  Take this shit to the Baylor board.

Why? Your team wins way more often than loses. You have friends (or at least acquaintances) that went to A&M. Why not replace the Tulsa type game with a game against A&M? 

So they took their ball and went to the SEC. Good for them, now beat their asses over and over again like you have for 119 years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why? Your team wins way more often than loses. You have friends (or at least acquaintances) that went to A&M. Why not replace the Tulsa type game with a game against A&M? 

So they took their ball and went to the SEC. Good for them, now beat their asses over and over again like you have for 119 years. 

Those fucking bastards left our conference, lying like dogs to the press at every opportunity.  Why would we choose to play them, especially with the scoreboard in our favor?  I expect to beat them when we play, but the odds are we won’t beat them every time.  Losing to those fucker is unacceptable.  Jmo.

44 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it's a fucking great look. here's aggy AD's response:

in other words, "we don't want to play texas because they're good and we may lose." the fact he then went out and scheduled the best team in college football, who plays the same "brutal" schedule, is so alpha chuck norris blushed.

Also, outside of Bama, Texas scheduled regular A&M abusers Arkansas and LSU, and also schedule national contenders USC, Michigan, and Ohio State over the next 10 year period. But they must be right. We must need aggy for validation.