Horns in the NFL

maninblack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/gallery/longhorns-in-the-nfl-week-one-performances-and-images/

Longhorns in the NFL: Week One performances and images  

Patrick Conn    September 15, 2020 

With week one now in the books for the NFL we take a look at the former Texas Longhorns now in the league. The games started on Thursday night when the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans kicked off the season. Alex Okafor and Charles Omenihu were the only former Longhorns who represented the University of Texas in that game. Okafor’s Chiefs came out on top.

Throughout the weekend, other former players joined in as the NFL were able to play every scheduled game. A real positive step with the current climate of COVID-19. It was an odd situation watching players play in empty stadiums. Well except in Washington, DC they are quite used to that already. We look through the images of Texas exes playing. Malcolm Roach, Geoff Swaim, Kris Boyd, Calvin Anderson, PJ Locke III, Colt McCoy and Alex Okafor were not pictured. (See link at top for images)

NFL Week 1 Action:

• Jordan Hicks, Arizona: 6 tackles, 1 TFL
  • Devin Duvernay, Baltimore: 1 rec, 12 yards
  • DeShon Elliott, Baltimore: 5 combined tackles
  • Justin Tucker, Baltimore: 1-1 FG, 5-5 XP
  • Trey Hopkins, Cincinnati
  • Connor Williams, Dallas
  • Andrew Beck, Denver
  • Charles Omenihu, Houston
  • Collin Johnson, Jacksonville: 1 rec, 14 yards
  • Malcolm Brown, LAR: 18 carries, 79 yards, 2 TDs
  • Brandon Jones, Miami: 10 tackles
  • Holton Hill, Minnesota: 7 tackles, 1 PD
  • Adrian Phillips, New England: 9 tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT
  • Malcom Brown, New Orleans
  • Hassan Ridgeway, Philadelphia: 4 tackles
  • Michael Dickson, Seattle 
  • Quandre Diggs, Seattle: 4 tackles, 2 PD, 1 INT
  • Poona Ford, Seattle: 4 Tackles
  • Kenny Vaccaro, Tennessee: 6 tackles 1 TFL 1 PD

• Like 1

Texas CB Quandre Diggs thinks his teammates don't care about losing

September 8, 2014        Graham Watson    

Texas CB Quandre Diggs thinks his teammates don't care about losing

Texas defensive back Quandre Diggs has been one of the Longhorns most outspoken players when it comes to the behavior and attitude of his team.

When coach Charlie Strong took over, Diggs was one of the first to endorse Strong’s disciplinary style and said he was in favor of weeding out guys that didn’t have a passion for the game.

Diggs saw that lack of passion rear its ugly head Saturday night after the Longhorns’ 41-7 loss to BYU, and while he didn’t want to talk about it on Saturday, he had no shortage of comments for his teammates during his press availability on Monday.

"I feel like some guys have it, but we don't have enough," Diggs said of players who hate losing, according to Rivals’ site Orangebloods.com. "I'm a guy who grew up winning. I never lost. I don't like to lose. It's not something I've ever accepted. I think sometimes guys accept losing because they come from different high schools where they're the stars, and as long as they are going in and making plays, it's acceptable. That's the thing they grew up with. Me, I never grew up losing. I don't like losing video games, cell phone games, any of that. I barely let my little nephews beat me in games. I take it so seriously.

"I definitely agree with coach (Strong). We don't have enough guys (pause) … When you take a loss, it's something you should be disappointed about. You should go home and just think about that for the rest of the night. That's what I did. I went home. I just sat with my family. We just talked. My mom is one of the people who can get me out of one of those moods, and that's who I talk to in one of those times. We don't have enough guys that just will not accept losing."

The Longhorns went into Saturday’s game hoping to avenge last season's loss to BYU — a loss that put former coach Mack Brown’s future with the program in doubt. Instead, it made a lot of the same mistakes it did in the previous meeting. BYU quarterback Taysom Hill rushed for 99 yards and three scores and threw for another 181 yards. In 2013, BYU rolled up 550 rushing yards in its win.

The Texas offense struggled mightily with backup quarterback Tyrone Swoopes working behind an offensive line that was missing three starters because of suspension or injuries.

The game was just a 6-0 BYU lead at halftime, but in the second half BYU made adjustments and Texas didn’t.

Texas will once again be without starting quarterback David Ash against a UCLA team that’s had issues of its own.

If Texas is going to rebound in that game, it’s going to have to fix it’s attitude, but Diggs acknowledges he’s not entirely sure how that will happen.

"I know it's a cliché, but it's the truth," Diggs said. "It is what it is. You should definitely hate losing. What's fun in being a loser? You don't want anybody going around saying you're a loser. That's disrespectful as a man to be called a loser, and to be called poor. I guess we've got to get guys going. With 85 scholarship guys, it's hard to get guys going with a couple of seniors. We need other guys to lead, too. It's just how it is.

“You're going to have to grow up one day, and I guess guys are not ready to grow up yet."

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...