Ed King (skynyrd) has died

Gil Bang

Former Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Ed King, who co-wrote the hit Sweet Home Alabama, has died aged 68.

According to Rolling Stone, he had been battling lung cancer for several years.

The musician died at home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Thursday, when a Convair CV-240 aircraft ran out of fuel and crashed through the roof of his home.   The National Transportation and Safety Board is not commenting on rumors that this is the same CV-240 that killed former Lynyrd Skynyrd member Billy Powell in 2009, and that had been stalking former Skynyrd drummer Artimus Pyle for several years.

King, who was born in California, joined the rock band in 1972. He left three years later after fighting with lead singer Ronnie Van Zant.

However, before he left he appeared on three albums, and can be heard counting "one, two, three" at the start of Sweet Home Alabama.

The group disbanded entirely following a plane crash which killed three of its members, including Van Zant, in 1977.

King rejoined Lynyrd Skynyrd after it reformed in 1987 for a reunion tour with Van Zant's younger brother, Johnny, on lead vocals.

Co-wrote Sweet Home Alabama?  I bet that paid for a nice little retirement.

"One . . . two . . . three . . ."

I always knew it was Ed counting off, I just never realized it was him playing the main riff.  Feels like the count comes off mic to one side, where the lead guitar comes in.  Huh.  Learn something new every day.

RIP, Ed.