Frats At UT Today

MaybeACoordinator

Glad to see mine is still "relevant," as the kids say.

et’s be honest, the only frats that are “relevant” are the following: (in no particular order) Sigma Chi, Kappa Sig, Fiji, ATO, Pike, SigEp, Texas Rho, Delt, KA, ZBT, Phi Psi, Sammy.

Now, to rank them:

1) FIJI - (top of top tier) If you dispute this, you’re an idiot, they’re just the richest, have one of the best houses, have some of the best parties, and are most desired by sorority girls. This is just the way it is, everyone thinks “top of the top” when they hear “Fiji”.

2) SIG EP - (top of top tier) One of the nicest houses, great parties, among some of the richest, and are desired next-most by sorority girls. They have a rep for being great looking, but also for being douchey. Everything about balanced man aka “no pledgeship” and “going dry soon” is just white noise. The only thing a top tier can’t protect itself from is getting caught hazing: e.g. Texas Rho.

3) ZBT - (middle of top tier) Before you call me an idiot for placing them so high, hear me out. Texas Rho is ****ed for at least the time being. ZBT mixes with Fiji and SigEp for parties such as avalanche and belly flop. There’s a reason they can do that. They have the only pool of all the frats, and are notorious for crazy parties. They don’t have the same sorority relations as the top two though. 

4) KAPPA SIG - (middle of top tier) Ksig has an OK house, I mean the only really great part is the lodge, over time they’ve ramped up how many parties they throw, their PC’s and sorority relations have been improving. Only reason they’re mid-top is because SAE ****ed up and they don’t have a pitfall like sigma chi, KA, and delt.

5,6,7,8) TX RHO, SIGMA CHI, DELT, KA - (bottom of top tier) These are interchangeable in rank, although I’m not sure about TX Rho. All these have one significant pitfall that keeps them out of top of top/mid top.
Tx Rho still has a lot of attractive and athletic guys and a significant amount of money, whether we like it or not. Losing the house really ****ed them and their PC’s will be ****tier, but for the time being they still have decent sorority relations. Time will tell, this rank might be improper.
Sigma Chi is really similar to Ksig and ZBT in a lot of general respects such as sorority relations, money, looks etc. Their pitfall is that they will be without a house for a little bit while they’re getting a new one - after that they might shoot up in ranks.
Delt is a different animal, usually their parties are pretty good, they have a pretty normal balance of attractive and unattractive guys, sorority relations are good but they get into drugs a bit much sometimes, and their house location is a major pitfall if anything else is going on in west campus.
KA is a top frat I probably know least about. The effects of the whole Texas Omicron deal still somewhat linger, aka they aren’t quite as on-the-map with parties and sororities as other tops. Cool guys though.

9,10,11) SAMMY, PIKE, PHI PSI - (middle tier) to be honest these are all interchangeable.
Sammy has probably the best looking guys and best sorority relations, but they need a new house. Pike has the best parties and decent sorority relations but they need a new house and better PC’s. Phi Psi has a ****ing amazing house, but their parties, sorority relations, and guys are all sub-par.

12,13,14) ATO, LAMBDA CHI, PHI DELT - (bottom tier) ATO = ****ed & under investigation. Welcome to bottom. Lambda and Phi Delt are irrelevant. “Frats” below this don’t deserve discussion.

Funny how shit changes. I used to think Phi Delt was some kind of supersecret society that was so elite nobody even talked about it. And whatever happened to the DKEs? Did they snort their way back to Bolivia? And who the hell are Phi Psi?

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And who the hell are Phi Psi?

They’ve gone up and down over the years the girls ranked them higher in the early 2000 and lower in the early 2010s.  They had the house at 24th and Longview that backed up to PIKE and we’re getting big so they were going to build a huge house on that land so they moved out so they could do construction and took over Sigma Chi’s house (next to Zeta) after the kid died during their fight night and Sigma Chi was kicked off campus.  Then they got in trouble for hazing or something and their alumni sold the land the old house was on to a developer and they bounced around a few places with official and unofficial houses before finally someone recently stepped up and built them a nice house.

Top 10%, 9%, 8% or whatever it is today has killed the greek community. The primary big high schools like HP, Westlake, Memorial, Alamo Heights just don't send their kids to UT like they use to. I don't know how the fraternities are surviving really. 

We had 120 actives when I was at UT and almost every other fraternity had the same. I would guess 30% of the UT student population was greek in the 80's - I doubt it's 10% now.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not having enough rich, white kids that look basically all the same...that's what's killing Greek Life?  Really?  

It's just a function of numbers more than what you've indicated. Take my fraternity when I was there - Mostly guys from West Texas (Midland) with a smattering of HP, Memorial and Westlake. Not the richest / not the poorest - very middle class for the most part and not lilly white.

Those schools with a history of putting guys into fraternities are sending their kids to Mississippi, OU, Arkansas, Alabama and not UT. Just an opinion.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Top 10%, 9%, 8% or whatever it is today has killed the greek community. The primary big high schools like HP, Westlake, Memorial, Alamo Heights just don't send their kids to UT like they use to. I don't know how the fraternities are surviving really. 

We had 120 actives when I was at UT and almost every other fraternity had the same. I would guess 30% of the UT student population was greek in the 80's - I doubt it's 10% now.

People said that in the 80s too about the prior generation of students.

43 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

It's just a function of numbers more than what you've indicated. Take my fraternity when I was there - Mostly guys from West Texas (Midland) with a smattering of HP, Memorial and Westlake. Not the richest / not the poorest - very middle class for the most part and not lilly white.

Those schools with a history of putting guys into fraternities are sending their kids to Mississippi, OU, Arkansas, Alabama and not UT. Just an opinion.

I've said this before on other threads; the rise of UT in competitiveness/academics has had to have UT Greek/social life shitty compared to the glory years (which are relative to mean the years that you went to UT, probably). Like most of you, I probably would have to go to Tech and be a KA there or something if I was 18 today, because I wouldn't have gotten into UT with my mediocre essay, middling varsity football abilities and gpa in a world where kids are graduating highschool with like a 6.0 GPA by gaming the honors/points system. 

If you think about it, it's a further degradation and loss of (white) privilege and that is both to be lauded (progress!) and, I think it's fair, to mourn (lamentations of things and experiences personal).

Oh well, life goes on.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've said this before on other threads; the rise of UT in competitiveness/academics has had to have UT Greek/social life shitty compared to the glory years (which are relative to mean the years that you went to UT, probably). Like most of you, I probably would have to go to Tech and be a KA there or something if I was 18 today, because I wouldn't have gotten into UT with my mediocre essay, middling varsity football abilities and gpa in a world where kids are graduating highschool with like a 6.0 GPA by gaming the honors/points system. 

If you think about it, it's a further degradation and loss of (white) privilege and that is both to be lauded (progress!) and, I think it's fair, to mourn (lamentations of things and experiences personal).

Oh well, life goes on.

This is exactly what I'm referring to - It's the loss of the towel snapping jocks with good but not great grades in HS - you know .... the ones who give extensively to the University for their entire lives. 

I didn't rush at all in HS and went to one Kappa Sig party right before school started and got sucked in. A few of my HS classmates had already bidded up, I was a legacy through my grandfather, and they needed a few more pledges so they cornered me and asked me to join, and I was like "Why the fuck not?" (I had no idea my dad's Sig Eps had eclipsed Kappa Sig by then -- that was not the case in the 1940s when my grandfather was there and they had the house on MLK looking straight at the Tower.)

Most of my friends were GDIs but it didn't drive much of a wedge between us. Overall I would call my fraternity a wash. Not the greatness some of you remember it as being, but not the horrid nest of overpriveliged turds you GDIs claim it to be either. 

20 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

This is exactly what I'm referring to - It's the loss of the towel snapping jocks with good but not great grades in HS - you know .... the ones who give extensively to the University for their entire lives. 

A tremendous amount of development tracking data flies completely in the face of your assertion.  But high five bro!   And yeah, I was a member of a fraternity.  

49 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

No - in reality we paid to have access to some top notch trim. Have you seen the GDI population on campus? 

I can dig it. My schtick was to go down to Mexico where pretty Mexican girls will flock to white boys like flies to shit. Then with any luck they get hung up trying to follow you across the border.

Was in one of those fraternaties back in the day.  Still keep in touch regularly with one other guy.  But he remains a good friend and stuff.  So there's that.  The rest of it was fun.  Stuff.

Edited by dcbc

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Anybody else remember the sorority thread from way back when, back about three or four sites ago?  Well, on a continuum of Awesomeness, this thread is on one end and that one was on the other.

Early days yet. In fact, let's "pivot" over to the sororities now.

Theta- top houses, these girls all party, have a reputation of taking popular girls from Texas high schools, and very few out of state. A lot of legacies so definitely some girls that are not very cute but then also attractive girls. Worst physical house. 

Pi Phi- top houses. Overall prettier than theta and party hard. Care A LOT about money and are flashy. House like all pretty girls but also the *****iest. great physical house. Takes more out of state girls but only if their from rich area of southern California basically.

Kappa- top house. least *****ey out of above two. some weird girls definitely but also some beautiful ones. Party hard but there are a few that don't go out also. Least cliquey from high school in comparison to Piphi and theta but still cliquey. IMO best physical house. 

Chi omega - top house. takes a solid amount of out of state girls and trys to prevent having high school cliques in the sorority. always a group in chi omega that doesn't go out and religious. Majority party hard, aside from piphi, has the most amount of overall pretty girls. 

Tridelt- top house, takes a solid amount of out of state girls and also trys to prevent highschool cliques in their sorority. Always has a group that doest you out and religious also. The rest Party pretty hard, pretty girls but also some weird ones. 

Zeta-Lower-top house, This house is the lowest of the top houses but is also different from the rest. takes a lot of cheer girls and most girls are bleach blonde. Has the ****ty-ditzy reputation but their are a lot of really cool girls in it also. If you are blonde, pretty, and like to always get super dressed up then zeta is the place for you. 

--- Below the Big 6, the top frats (sae, Fiji, sigep, and zbt) do not mix with these girls often and are not friends with them. 
--- if you aren't in the houses above but are in the two houses below then you are either girls that are out of state, had no connections, pretty but weird, exc.

Alpha Phi - party pretty hard, has a little ****ty reputation to the top frats. Some beautiful girls and some not. Takes a lot of out of state. Sig ep and Zbt prefer alpha phi over AXO at least for PC17. HAs a reputation of being the girls who don't make the big 6. 

A Chi o - party also, takes a lot of athletes and out of state girls once again. Doesn't mix as much with the top frats, but super close with delt and sigma chi who are lower top frats. less of a sorority that takes the big 6 wannabes

--Below these two sororities their is a significant drop

DG- parties way less then the houses above. Definitely smart girls here and very involved in campus. Girls are not as cute in this house as any of the sororities above. Mixes with the lower top frats at best and primarily the mid their frats such as PIKE. 

--Another significant drop, don't know much about them 

KD- smart girls, don't really party

AXiD- can't say anything about them because I do not know but considered bottom tier forsake
ADPI- same as above.

And countdown to U In Her B in 3 2 1

I see that zeta hasn’t changed in 20 years. 

Plus, a few Zetas were willing to hook up with non-football playing Black guys. They’d come down to the massive apt complex parties on Riverside back in the late 90s, early 00s where we poor, non-Greek affiliated brethren resided.

• Like 1

Phi Psi seems to have gotten a little of their shit together.  They got a brand new house and apparently they got a bad national reputation after I think some TxST Phi Psi died of overdrinking (shocking I know).  My kid (soph) has been hanging around them a lot, they really want him in the frat (talked to their adult overseer or some shit whatever he is, I think they got him to convince parents that they're not like the "national" chapter or whatever and your kid won't die).  Nice guy but I said 1) I ain't payin' for dat shit, 2) it's Junior's decision (I might possibly maybe potentially slight chance pay for it, maybe) but this year he decided that after living now in West Campus the talent and fun is just as good as a frat without the (sometimes creepy) obligation and nightly drinking.  Phi Psi's seem to have a bunch of "regular" guys now and he'd absolutely be the first kid to say they're dweebs or boozehead losers or dicks or whatnot but he likes 'em.  However he decided to just hang out with them off-frat.

By the way, if you haven't been on West Campus the last 5 years, holy shit you wouldn't recognize it.  10 story half-luxury condos geared for students going up everywhere.  I mean it's like mini-Manhattan, you drive through colonnades of apartments one after the other.  And these ain't cheap.  My kid's in a nice but by no means 5-star 4-person unit and it's about $1K per month n.i. utilities/parking.  He said there's a bunch around for easily $2,500K a month.

Someone above mentioned the top 10% or 7% or .0000000000034% or whatever it is now and I think West Campus reflects that.  Before UT had a lot of Ritchie Rich's, but a lot of middle classers.  Now I think it's gotten a little more towards the money crowd - daddy forks over  a good $4K per month for Junior's tuition, room, books, drugs, rubbers, whatever (I'm not that much but it's not far).  I think West Campus in essence is now a bunch of big apartments that for all in tents and porpoises are big frats/sororities. I mean the social life in those things is pretty amazing.  My kid says he's met about 400 people in the 3-4 days he's been there (about 26 and Nueces).

Different world now.  Yeah WC has always been social, but man the upgrade to the living style is pretty stark.  It ain't a cheap place to live anymore.  For that you gotta to to Riverside or something.

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Phi Psi seems to have gotten a little of their shit together.  They got a brand new house and apparently they got a bad national reputation after I think some TxST Phi Psi died of overdrinking (shocking I know).  My kid (soph) has been hanging around them a lot, they really want him in the frat (talked to their adult overseer or some shit whatever he is, I think they got him to convince parents that they're not like the "national" chapter or whatever and your kid won't die).  Nice guy but I said 1) I ain't payin' for dat shit, 2) it's Junior's decision (I might possibly maybe potentially slight chance pay for it, maybe) but this year he decided that after living now in West Campus the talent and fun is just as good as a frat without the (sometimes creepy) obligation and nightly drinking.  Phi Psi's seem to have a bunch of "regular" guys now and he'd absolutely be the first kid to say they're dweebs or boozehead losers or dicks or whatnot but he likes 'em.  However he decided to just hang out with them off-frat.

By the way, if you haven't been on West Campus the last 5 years, holy shit you wouldn't recognize it.  10 story half-luxury condos geared for students going up everywhere.  I mean it's like mini-Manhattan, you drive through colonnades of apartments one after the other.  And these ain't cheap.  My kid's in a nice but by no means 5-star 4-person unit and it's about $1K per month n.i. utilities/parking.  He said there's a bunch around for easily $2,500K a month.

Someone above mentioned the top 10% or 7% or .0000000000034% or whatever it is now and I think West Campus reflects that.  Before UT had a lot of Ritchie Rich's, but a lot of middle classers.  Now I think it's gotten a little more towards the money crowd - daddy forks over  a good $4K per month for Junior's tuition, room, books, drugs, rubbers, whatever (I'm not that much but it's not far).  I think West Campus in essence is now a bunch of big apartments that for all in tents and porpoises are big frats/sororities. I mean the social life in those things is pretty amazing.  My kid says he's met about 400 people in the 3-4 days he's been there (about 26 and Nueces).

Different world now.  Yeah WC has always been social, but man the upgrade to the living style is pretty stark.  It ain't a cheap place to live anymore.  For that you gotta to to Riverside or something.

West Campus has been that way to a greater or lesser extent for 30 someodd years.  I'm quite shocked you can find anything for $1000/month within a mile of campus.  The building boom is pretty amazing, but there have always been a goodly number of high dollar-ish apartments and condos there.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

West Campus has been that way to a greater or lesser extent for 30 someodd years.  I'm quite shocked you can find anything for $1000/month within a mile of campus.  The building boom is pretty amazing, but there have always been a goodly number of high dollar-ish apartments and condos there.

There have been, but man not to this degree as I see it.  You could always find a nice old 3-story among the elites. Now it's almost built out completely.  At least in my take.  Maybe it's been longer than I imagine, but it always was a place you could find decently priced, if not older, lodging.  It's almost impossible now.

Oh, BTW, my kid said that Jester (West) was ok last year, but a bunch of really, really weird loner losers there now.  Again I think that reflects the Top 10% thing... "normal" people less in favor of super-duper-6.0-on-a-scale-of-4 autistic, narrow savant-like Super Academics with no social skills.  He said he's glad he did it but for the most part he felt like he was in some weird academic summer camp or something.   He said that San Jac is now the "normal" dorm (athletes stay there) but he's glad he experienced Jester.

I had a sad... Jester is now Dweeb City?

Edited by phdhorn

27 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

There have been, but man not to this degree as I see it.  You could always find a nice old 3-story among the elites. Now it's almost built out completely.  At least in my take.  Maybe it's been longer than I imagine, but it always was a place you could find decently priced, if not older, lodging.  It's almost impossible now.

Oh, BTW, my kid said that Jester (West) was ok last year, but a bunch of really, really weird loner losers there now.  Again I think that reflects the Top 10% thing... "normal" people less in favor of super-duper-6.0-on-a-scale-of-4 autistic, narrow savant-like Super Academics with no social skills.  He said he's glad he did it but for the most part he felt like he was in some weird academic summer camp or something.   He said that San Jac is now the "normal" dorm (athletes stay there) but he's glad he experienced Jester.

I had a sad... Jester is now Dweeb City?

The more things change . . . .

But yeah, West Campus is fairly insane.  Makes sense, though, because the things that were cheap when we were in school should be condemned today.  The luxe places are now cheap, if still standing.

The Jester and other comments about the top 10% are interesting....as we work to promote diversity (socio-economic background, etc) are we actually ending up with other singularities (personality types, etc).  Maybe, maybe not. Obviously anecdotal comments don't prove jack shit, but you hear these kinds of comments a lot from students and parents of students at UT these days...even from some of them who have the loner, dork savant who they were hoping would be rounded by the college experience.

Oh and fuck the KAs....at least the mid to late 90s version.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

The Jester and other comments about the top 10% are interesting....as we work to promote diversity (socio-economic background, etc) are we actually ending up with other singularities (personality types, etc).  Maybe, maybe not. Obviously anecdotal comments don't prove jack shit, but you hear these kinds of comments a lot from students and parents of students at UT these days...even from some of them who have the loner, dork savant who they were hoping would be rounded by the college experience.
My memory of Jester from '03 to '08 is that it was mostly the middle class kids who were either top 10% or did enough to get in otherwise, so it was pretty social.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:
40 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

My memory of Jester from '03 to '08 is that it was mostly the middle class kids who were either top 10% or did enough to get in otherwise, so it was pretty social.

I was 94-98, lived in Jester East my freshman year.  The people there were generally social and cool, though I can't say I became lifelong friends with any of them.