Barry Sanders - Great Read On His Untouchable '88 Season

Wally Pryor

In '88, Barry Sanders didn't rewrite the records books, he incinerated them. He rushed for 2,850 yards, scored 44 touchdowns and broke 34 NCAA records. In the years since, offense has exploded in the college game, while the pace has quickened. And yet, most of Sanders' FBS records remain intact.

The #s were and are insane.  Some of the stories behind that season are just as crazy. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24440133/the-untold-stories-barry-sanders-record-setting-1988-season

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Some would argue Ron Dayne should in that conversation as well.

And it isn't a stupid argument.

That's true. And Marshall Faulk. Hell, Barkley is probably up there. 

If he hadn't missed time with injuries, Jamaal Charles would be in the conversation. He was banged up a lot his sophomore year, and during his junior year he became the best player in college football. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

Anyone who breaks a record of his is illegitmate.  Only 11 regular season games back then (12 now), no CCG, and his 222 yards and 5 TDs in the Holiday Bowl weren't counted back then, whereas today bowl game stats count.  MNC's now play 15 games.  That's a four game difference.  

Barry was before my time, I knew him as a Lion before I knew him as a Cowboy, but the highlights are jaw dropping.  His acclaim in Stillwater is well deserved.  There's been talk of a statue to him at the stadium.  I'm generally against statues of players and coaches, but if anyone in Stillwater deserves one, its Barry.

28 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Another interesting note.

Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders play for 2 years together.

I would argue the closest to that talent level or debatably better were Preist Holmes and Ricky Williams.

Running a distant 3rd Lindale White and Reggie Bush

I can't think of any other tandems that come close.

I believe that Barry and Thurman has been the only time that two future NFL Hall-of-Famers were in the same college backfield.

That Barry story was great. One thing it didn't mention was that Barry was the 1st team All-American kickoff returner in '87 when he was backing up Thurman.

Also - one aspect of the story that has always bothered me.... this bullshit about how Barry didn't get offers from OU, etc., because OSU "kept" his high school tape.  That's such hindsight 20/20 bullshit.  It's not as if Barry was playing playing in some tiny town in North Dakota.  He was playing for a high school in a decent sized city that's like 2.5-hour drive from Norman. You're telling me they didn't have high school contacts in Kansas who would call them up and tell them about this phenom?  They needed some crappy 80s video tape?  Right.

OU didn't offer him for the same reason all of the other "big time" programs didn't offer him...because he was seen as "too small."  OU, Nebraska, etc., were signing 5'11-6'0" physical specimens who could run like deer.... they typically weren't in the business of signing 5'7"-5'8" jitterbugs like Sanders. 

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

Yeah, I get that, and they rushed he snot out of him, but he was the NCAA career rushing yard record holder. 
Not that I'm bitter, but if Ricky got the rock his first 2 years like he did his last two years, Ron would not be the record holder.
  • Like 1

Yeah there's definitely an argument when it comes to had the best college RB CAREER... I actually tend to think that's Ricky Williams.

But nobody can touch Barry's '88 SEASON. I mean... just look at it. Absolutely ridiculous.

And to think that in the vast majority of those games (including the Holiday Bowl) Barry barely played in the second half.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah there's definitely an argument when it comes to had the best college RB CAREER... I actually tend to think that's Ricky Williams.

But nobody can touch Barry's '88 SEASON. I mean... just look at it. Absolutely ridiculous.

And to think that in the vast majority of those games (including the Holiday Bowl) Barry barely played in the second half.

Barry winning the Heisman... #StrikeA-Pose..!

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Eddie George?

Exekiel Elliot was better than him IMO

What about Saquon Barkley? You don't see many guys who are legit MVPs anymore at that position, the Alabama Heisman winners have just been caretaker backs  meaning oyu could have subbed in their backups and not been any less likely to win. 

Reggie Bush was pretty damned good, even with the hype.

from the article

In '88, Sanders didn't rewrite the records books, he incinerated them. He rushed for 2,850 yards, scored 44 touchdowns"

no, he didn't, because bowl games didn't count at that point. until the NCAA retroactively says "OK all bowl game stats count", it's fucking confusing to change famous numbers like 2,628. it would be like saying Roger Maris hit 58 home runs in 1961 because I think the 154-game schedule is more legit than the 162-game schedule

Can someone explain to me why they now count yardage from bowl games for the single season record now...but won't retroactively add yardage from bowl games to previous player's seasons?  (Barry Sanders and others)

Is it that they just want to see 'single season' records broken?    ...as if it wasn't enough they play 12 games instead of 11 now.

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

from the article

In '88, Sanders didn't rewrite the records books, he incinerated them. He rushed for 2,850 yards, scored 44 touchdowns"

no, he didn't, because bowl games didn't count at that point. until the NCAA retroactively says "OK all bowl game stats count", it's fucking confusing to change famous numbers like 2,628. it would be like saying Roger Maris hit 58 home runs in 1961 because I think the 154-game schedule is more legit than the 162-game schedule

Wait, so they are adding his bowl game yardage to the record?  Last I'd looked, they weren't.  Either add it for everyone, or no one...

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Another interesting note.

Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders play for 2 years together.

I would argue the closest to that talent level or debatably better were Preist Holmes and Ricky Williams.

Running a distant 3rd Lindale White and Reggie Bush

I can't think of any other tandems that come close.

Everyone can argue Adrian vs Ricky vs whoever...

Thats all for number 2.  Barry is GOAT.  The man put up those stats and gave zero fucks about accolades.  I grew up a Dallas/Emmitt fan and even as a kid it was obvious Barry was on another planet.  

20 minutes ago, Monster said:

Can someone explain to me why they now count yardage from bowl games for the single season record now...but won't retroactively add yardage from bowl games to previous player's seasons?  (Barry Sanders and others)

Is it that they just want to see 'single season' records broken?    ...as if it wasn't enough they play 12 games instead of 11 now.

I absolutely think they should retroactively do it, and as soon as that becomes the official standard, I'll start using it, but yeah, bowl games prior to 2002 aren't counted and thus Sanders' total is 2628 not 2850

It's sort of splitting hairs, at least in terms of "Does it matter to Sanders' stature", nope, the motherfucker was the best 

Also, if I remember right, he had 300 yards against both K-State and Kansas without playing in the 4th quarter.  (They were absolutely awful at the time.)  That's why the single game records are pointless to me.  Sanders could have had 500 yards against each of them had he played the full game.

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, if I remember right, he had 300 yards against both K-State and Kansas without playing in the 4th quarter.  (They were absolutely awful at the time.)  That's why the single game records are pointless to me.  Sanders could have had 500 yards against each of them had he played the full game.

Exactly.  Again, Barry stands alone.  

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Gotta be Peterson.

When healthy, he was one of the best to ever play. But you do have to factor those in. But hell, Demarco Murray was on pace to be better than Peterson but injuries derailed that.

Without diving into the stats but just watching with my eyes, Ron Dayne, Tomlinson, Ricky, Peterson, Elliott, Bush are definitely up there.

But Sanders' stats are safe in today's game because teams just are not running those types of offenses any longer. You're never going to see those kinds of numbers again. Same thing in the NFL as you aren't going to see Emmitt's record ever broke or even close to it. A lot of teams use multiple backs in games to stay fresh and play the situations. Bell cow RBs like those mentioned above are becoming extinct. Barkley was the closest we have seen. 

Sorry for quoting Switzer but:

‘Whatever you do, don’t hurt Thurman, because they have a backup freshman running back named Barry Sanders and you will never tackle him.’

-Barry Switzer to the OU team before the '87 OSU game, Sanders' freshman year. 

Edited by smokebomb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When healthy, he was one of the best to ever play. But you do have to factor those in. But hell, Demarco Murray was on pace to be better than Peterson but injuries derailed that.

Without diving into the stats but just watching with my eyes, Ron Dayne, Tomlinson, Ricky, Peterson, Elliott, Bush are definitely up there.

But Sanders' stats are safe in today's game because teams just are not running those types of offenses any longer. You're never going to see those kinds of numbers again. Same thing in the NFL as you aren't going to see Emmitt's record ever broke or even close to it. A lot of teams use multiple backs in games to stay fresh and play the situations. Bell cow RBs like those mentioned above are becoming extinct. Barkley was the closest we have seen. 

melvin gordon fell way short on tds but was within 50 yards or so rushing . for whatever thats worth . agree with your list with the exception of ron dayne . 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It wasn't just the 4th Quarter.  There were several games when he left in the middle of the 3rd quarter, including the Holiday Bowl.

49 minutes ago, smokebomb said:

Sorry for quoting Switzer but:

‘Whatever you do, don’t hurt Thurman, because they have a backup freshman running back named Barry Sanders and you will never tackle him.’

-Barry Switzer to the OU team before the '87 OSU game, Sanders' freshman year. 

That's a cute quote that I'm sure Barry Switzer made up in hindsight.  

Sanders was actually a sophomore in '87, not a freshman.  And it's not like he was unknown.  He was the first-team All-American kick returner that year... he averaged 31 yards per return and scored 2 TDs... he also had 2 punt returns for TDs.

42 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

melvin gordon fell way short on tds but was within 50 yards or so rushing . for whatever thats worth . agree with your list with the exception of ron dayne . 

I forgot about Gordon. He was very fun to watch. Don't know where I'd list him, though.

Dayne was not as pleasing to the eyes as many others and I hated that he broke Ricky's record that next season but I enjoyed watching him run the ball. 

15 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Even with some bias (Ricky Williams - college)(Emmitt Smith - NFL) I think overall Sanders is the best RB I have ever seen.  I even wonder how he would have done on a few other NFL teams.

I remember the tired Emmitt vs Barry debates. Both were great in their own way. Barry was definitely more of a highlight reel and exciting. But Emmitt worked great for what Dallas wanted to do in that offense. I always wondered if we had Barry, are we as efficient? I always remember that negative yardage game he had in the playoffs. Against GB maybe? 

59 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

That's a pretty good one. I'd say that rivals Bush/White. 

Don't think it's as good Ricky/Holmes or Thomas/Sanders.

Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee. That was 4 SOLID RB's. None of them was a top 10 GOAT but what a collection they had.

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

As amazing as Barry was, I think I would have preferred Emmitt for the reliable 4 yards min every.single.time 

Again, I'm biased, and that bias also knows about Emmitt's 3 rings. 

I'd rather watch Barry play, I'd rather Emmitt on my team.. I think.. 

Emmitt had a HOF O-Line. Barry would have loved to have had those road graders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Emmitt had a HOF O-Line. Barry would have loved to have had those road graders.

And a HOF QB/WR combo to complement the running game.  You couldn't just game plan to stop Emmitt or Troy and Michael would eat you up... (not to mention Novacek, Alvin Harper, etc.)

I don't think it's a stretch to say that every team who played the Lions during Barry's time had a defensive game plan that was singularly focused on slowing him down.

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And a HOF QB/WR combo to complement the running game.  You couldn't just game plan to stop Emmitt or Troy and Michael would eat you up... (not to mention Novacek, Alvin Harper, etc.)

I don't think it's a stretch to say that every team who played the Lions during Barry's time had a defensive game plan that was singularly focused on slowing him down.

Yeah, I'd never try to take away anything from one of my favorite Cowboys of all time but Barry was just a different sort of runner, just thrilling to watch. Emmitt had so much heart. That game where he dislocated his shoulder and then kept grinding? Legendary grit right there.

• Like 1