Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

On 11/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, Trey3216 said:

Actually really fun playing that game when flying into DCA 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, Macanudo said:

The thing, I dont really want to know.  I just like thinking about this possibilities.

On a related note, when I'm flying I love looking out the window and trying to pick out landmarks (if I know where things are) or just watching the topography.  S

Checkout the app Flyover Country. Really cool when on long trips over land.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This year I started something new for myself.  Any time anyone I'm interacting with wishes me well between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I donate $5.00 to a charity.  And I let that person know what I'm doing so I can find out their favorite charity.  Doesn't matter to me if it's "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanza, etc. etc."  Don't care what the words are.  I care about the sentiment behind it.  And I think that that sentiment should be rewarded and more importantly encouraged.  The amount that I've donated so far is pretty trivial.  Maybe $50-$60 total.

But the surprised/happy looks I've received back for the gesture have been worth a kings ransom.

Pretty trivial, but goddamn if it doesn't make me feel good.

Edited by Buffsoldier
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

So Underdog and Kennythetiger, since y'all didn't replied to my PM's, $5 has been donated in each of your names to Fisher House.  Neener neener.

Damn, missed it somehow.  Thank you, was only joking but very cool what you're doing.  You deserve bou coup of Rep. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Working alone at the office on a "snow day" everyone else stayed home because the snow was too bad. No bovines talking about their diets and no hens cackling about their kids and families. A person can concentrate and get shit done. It is best when you misjudge the weather and have to stay the night because your snowed in at the office.

Farmhouse renovation is now back on schedule. Home Depot sent me tracking information a couple of days ago telling me my baseboard heaters would be arriving on Monday, the 20th. Which meant I had to reschedule getting the electricity turned on from the 20th to later in the week.

UPS just delivered them. I can finish the install this weekend, and get the power turned on on Monday. I just spoke to the inspector and got my original appointment reinstated.

Yep, 2004. I use mine like a truck. If I take out the back seat I can haul 4' x 8' plywood sheets. Can't close the trunk lid but it works. 2 deer will fit in the trunk at one time. Redneck as hell but it costs me next to nothing other than fuel and insurance. I have several miles of flintrock road everyday and it stands up to it better than most cars and a lot smoother than a truck. I'm obviously not trying to impress anybody.

• Like 1

Well not turnip greens, but brusselsprouts , artichoke and asparagus related....

Had pizza the night before yesterday and all the greens mentioned previously the next day for lunch and as you could imagine today.

Well let’s just say that my molars almost came out, felt right as rain! I don’t smoke, but afterwards I felt I could use a good cigarette! And THAT pleased the ever living shit out of me!

Nothing like a good cleansing is the soul!

I've been in AV pretty much the entirety of my adulthood.  I've collected cables upon cables upon cables for the past 25 years, knowing, someday, I will need this particular cable.  Now, someday happens rarely so I find I have a really expensive collection of cables that for the majority of their time have been spent sitting in a plastic tote.  I needed a particular cable for an install in the home I'm currently doing, and damn it if it wasn't in there, just waiting for me to use it.

I'm damn pleased that I was able to find and use that cable, because I had the foresight to keep it and 800 other ones for someday.

• Like 3

Flip side of what pissed me off this weekend (trash coming out of the back of pickups driving down my road):

Orange County, North Carolina, has the tidiest waste disposal services I have ever encountered. They are so clean, the Virgin Mary would be proud to go to this county dump. So to speak.

Anyway, the recycling areas are all clearly labeled, the tires are neatly stacked, the scrap metal is sorted and moved out quickly, There's a bunch of helpful guys who will assist you with sorting anything that's not allowed in the landfill so you can put it back on your trailer or truck to take to the appropriate bin (almost all recyclable -- I dumped some carpet and MDF, but practically everything else was destined for a recycling center), and there's virtually no liter anywhere -- when something spills over the side of a trailer, someone picks it up immediately.

I don't recall any other part of the government -- not even the IRS -- being quite that efficient. Boggled the mind, but in a good way.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, mulletpelini said:

I've been in AV pretty much the entirety of my adulthood.  I've collected cables upon cables upon cables for the past 25 years, knowing, someday, I will need this particular cable.  Now, someday happens rarely so I find I have a really expensive collection of cables that for the majority of their time have been spent sitting in a plastic tote.  I needed a particular cable for an install in the home I'm currently doing, and damn it if it wasn't in there, just waiting for me to use it.

I'm damn pleased that I was able to find and use that cable, because I had the foresight to keep it and 800 other ones for someday.

at some point in a man's life, as he sits in his garage, alone, drinking a beer, he looks upon the vastness of his kingdom and thinks to himself, "why do i have so much coax?"

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

FedEx with their economy shipping on amazon.

It's on me for not paying attention that it wasnt prime, but ordered a new microsoft surface pro on monday and it is scheduled to be here between the 10th and 13th. Shipped monday from NJ, and is still in NJ tonight. I guess the pony Express is still alive and well.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Flip side of what pissed me off this weekend (trash coming out of the back of pickups driving down my road):

Orange County, North Carolina, has the tidiest waste disposal services I have ever encountered. They are so clean, the Virgin Mary would be proud to go to this county dump. So to speak.

Anyway, the recycling areas are all clearly labeled, the tires are neatly stacked, the scrap metal is sorted and moved out quickly, There's a bunch of helpful guys who will assist you with sorting anything that's not allowed in the landfill so you can put it back on your trailer or truck to take to the appropriate bin (almost all recyclable -- I dumped some carpet and MDF, but practically everything else was destined for a recycling center), and there's virtually no liter anywhere -- when something spills over the side of a trailer, someone picks it up immediately.

I don't recall any other part of the government -- not even the IRS -- being quite that efficient. Boggled the mind, but in a good way.

Orange County? Holy shit, you're in my old backyard. I was up 501 a few miles in Roxboro. Enjoy the good life, the climate is spectacular and the people are interesting.

I love buying sparking grape juice in glass bottles before noon on Sundays. I always get someone tell me "hey you can't buy that! it's not 12" and I tell them I found a loophole in the law. "What's the loophole?". That's my secret. Can't tell anyone or they'll change the law. So stupid but it cracks me up every time. 

• Like 1