Favorite sitcom characters of all time

Sbbruin

On 8/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Peter Boyle in everybody loves Raymond 

He was great in that. I think Deborah and Robert are my two favorites, but I love the whole cast. Seems like there were a lot of peripheral characters that added so much. 

Father Hubley always brought the laughs

cd4.jpg

Regarding the MaryAnn vs. Ginger debate, I suggest most of us on  #TeamMaryAnn, are there because we grew up watching Gilligan reruns in our adolescence and teens and MaryAnn represented the romantic girl next door. Ginger was the Playboy model that was definitely fappable but ultimately unattainable.

It's just a theory.

Based on a literal reading of the thread title, (i.e. sitcom "characters" as opposed to the actors who played them), I'll submit:

Fred Sanford

Dr. Harry Solomon

Howard Wolowitz (I know Shaggy/Surly loves to hate BBT, but Howard is a great character)

Dan Fielding

Murphy Brown (although I don't look forward to the revival at all)

18 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Dr. Harry Solomon

It was Dr. Dick Solomon, the physics professor, played by John Lithgow. Harry Solomon was his brother, the one with the transmitter in his head, played by French Stewart. 

That was such a great cast of characters and an excellent cast of actors portraying them. I don't think the show would've worked if not for Lithgow's over-the-top performance as the high commander. It was so big and so outrageous. I remember thinking it was strange for an actor of his caliber to be doing a sitcom and I wasn't sure about the premise but I was sold after watching the first episode.

Jane Curtin was the perfect choice to play Dr. Mary Albright, Dick's love interest. (And let's not forget William Shatner as the Big Giant Head.)

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It was Norton that was the glue.

He was a great sidekick, and played off of Ralph well.  But Alice was the dose of reality that made the show believable.  Otherwise it would have been too harebrained.    She wasn't the best actress and was slow on her lines now and then, but it is still quite remarkable they did that show live. 

8 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

He was a great sidekick, and played off of Ralph well.  But Alice was the dose of reality that made the show believable.  Otherwise it would have been too harebrained.    She wasn't the best actress and was slow on her lines now and then, but it is still quite remarkable they did that show live. 

Yeah she was the sensible one. I'll agree with you on your take.  We'd never have that to the moon Alice without her character.  

On 8/26/2018 at 6:51 AM, d2o said:

Is that Daddy Constanza or Arthur Spooner cause I can see an argument for both

Both characters consistently bring the laughs. Kudos to Jerry Stiller for playing Arthur differently than Frank while still being hilarious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lateshow said:

They were both hilarious, but I don't know if i'd say they were that different. 

They were certainly similar but they had different personalities that their comedy was based on. Frank was an outlandish rageaholic without any empathy for his family while Arthur was a ridiculous childish old man with moments of sincerity.