Golden State Killer

Auto Driller

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If you've committed a crime that you could get busted on by DNA, and you uploaded your DNA to a place like that, you're too stupid to remove it anyways. 

Agreed.

But here's where it gets risky.  I'm a smart serial killer.  I have no record, my DNA isn't on file anywhere.  Even if I accidentally leave some at a scene, there's no sample out there to match it against (and I'm otherwise squeaky clean and not a suspect, so no need to take a sample from me).

But my stupid sister in Boise is obsessed with tracing her genetic line back to Cleopatra or some shit, so she uploads HER DNA profile to one of these sites.....and they run the one drop of blood I left at the scene that one time....against the profiles on that website....and it turns out that I show up as a "relative" of my stupid sister.  They ID her, and they start looking at family.  It's only so long before they get to me, and realize that I lived in Sacramento when all the murders took place.

Not that I (brisketexan) have a problem with this shaking out that way.  It's just that with genetic markers, you don't have to be stupid -- someone related to you (and not a psycho killer) can innocently provide a sample that can lead to your downfall.  Tough shit, psycho killer dude.

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.

But here's where it gets risky.  I'm a smart serial killer.  I have no record, my DNA isn't on file anywhere.  Even if I accidentally leave some at a scene, there's no sample out there to match it against (and I'm otherwise squeaky clean and not a suspect, so no need to take a sample from me).

But my stupid sister in Boise is obsessed with tracing her genetic line back to Cleopatra or some shit, so she uploads HER DNA profile to one of these sites.....and they run the one drop of blood I left at the scene that one time....against the profiles on that website....and it turns out that I show up as a "relative" of my stupid sister.  They ID her, and they start looking at family.  It's only so long before they get to me, and realize that I lived in Sacramento when all the murders took place.

Not that I (brisketexan) have a problem with this shaking out that way.  It's just that with genetic markers, you don't have to be stupid -- someone related to you (and not a psycho killer) can innocently provide a sample that can lead to your downfall.  Tough shit, psycho killer dude.

Yea it looks like this is exactly what happened. They provided his DNA from the original crimes, it matched closely with someone who had uploaded their information. Then they looked up who were closely related and tried to find someone who lived in the right place at the right time.

They had narrowed it down then grabbed DNA off a discarded coffee cup or something at Hobby Lobby. Compared it to their original DNA samples, boom exact match.

I’ve been listening to the Casefile podcast series on this this week.  One common thing that the rape victims reported was that he had a very small dick.  I wonder if jr. high, sr. high, and navy “locker room” derision, and the derision he got from the females who willingly saw it, helped turn him into a monster.

6 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

I’ve been listening to the Casefile podcast series on this this week.  One common thing that the rape victims reported was that he had a very small dick.  I wonder if jr. high, sr. high, and navy “locker room” derision, and the derision he got from the females who willingly saw it, helped turn him into a monster.

I knew he has a small dick as soon as they said he was a cop.

Bernard

• Like 5

I watched an old special on him today with my wife... I told her "they won't mention this on the show but apparently he had a small dick"... and then BOOM they even mentioned it on the show. Shit must've been pretty small to make it onto a Dateline type show. 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, Heisenberg said:

He also had issues with his mother and his exwife or fiance. Dude was totally fucked up. It was pretty awesome seeing how defeated he looked during his arraignment. 

Sucks that this guy got to live a long carefree life (as carefree as you can be knowing that you killed people) but at least he was apprehended in time to suffer some consequences and bring some measure of closure to the family members of his victims.

On 4/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, GhostRider said:

So what you're saying is...  If  you want to become a psycho serial killer, start with your family first.

I have a question.   Do they take DNA samples from victims and catalog them?  Seems like this might not be the simple approach some of you think it is.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

And...if I was the FBI, I would be doing a MASSIVE data dump of all DNA profiles currently on the site....and then comparing it to the list a month from now, and see who pulled theirs down and has something to hide....

This got me negged....and sure, I get the distrust of law enforcement (believe me, I get it).

But this is publicly available info -- people VOLUNTARILY put it out there.  If you want your goodies to be secure from the prying eyes of law enforcement, step #1 is "DON'T PUT YOUR GOODIES OUT THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE."

As for the comparison, that's just common-sense investigation.  Look, when a cop car drives by some guys on the street, the cops would be dumb not to look and see if somebody panics and runs, or tries to hide something in a trash can.  That's reasonably suspicious behavior -- any investigator worth a shit would be dumb not to look into that.

• Like 1