Golden State Killer

Auto Driller

3 minutes ago, Don Keibals said:

Just read about this on Daily Mail.  Hard to believe, says some new DNA technique was used and matched to his daughter's DNA.  Be cool if they could catch/figure out the Zodiac too.

Anyone read the book yet?   hopefully he'll fully confess too and that will be made into a book.

Nothing at press conference related to daughter's DNA.  They said that investigation got them a discarded DNA sample of some kind.  As a result, I would anticipate that the daughter DNA rumor is false. 

That being said, a few redditors think based on the press conference and the non-committal nature of things that the cops submitted the actual DNA evidence through one of the public DNA testing sites resulting in the hit with the daughter and then narrowing things down from there.

Sorry but after the 48 hours episode and Oswalt's wife book came out I am heading straight for some tiny island to live the rest of my life in a tiki hut. 

Although I would assume he figured he got away with it for as long as he did he was pretty much home free. 

6 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I haven’t read much about the book. Did the book name this guy? Did the book narrow down something really key? 

Whats the connection there?

Per the Sacramento County DA, this guy has never been a person of interest until six days ago. It’s still unclear what led them to start investigating him but there are rumors that a family member called in a tip.

6 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I haven’t read much about the book. Did the book name this guy? Did the book narrow down something really key? 

The one bit of news to come out of the news conference (other than DNA, DNA, DNA!) was the fact DeAngelo had not been identified as a suspect/person of interest before the last week, so he wouldn’t have been in Michelle’s book. 

38 minutes ago, deech said:

Nothing at press conference related to daughter's DNA.  They said that investigation got them a discarded DNA sample of some kind.  As a result, I would anticipate that the daughter DNA rumor is false. 

That being said, a few redditors think based on the press conference and the non-committal nature of things that the cops submitted the actual DNA evidence through one of the public DNA testing sites resulting in the hit with the daughter and then narrowing things down from there.

So, the theory is something like daughter does a 23 and Me kit, and the result sparks a hit with the six related GSK samples? If that’s true, specimen samples became even more valuable.  Test it all!

Edited by Vito Andolini

Wouldn't "discarded DNA" be his spit, cigarette, drinking cup, chewing gum, etc???  or maybe one of his daughters?

NBC Los Angeles mentions the police received a tip: 

A tip from the public and DNA evidence pointed detectives to a man who was taken into custody overnight in the decades-old Golden State Killer case, authorities said Wednesday. The tip followed renewed attention stemming from a book and recent documentary about the series of rapes, slayings and ...

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

So, the theory is something like daughter does a 23 and Me kit, and the result sparks a hit with the six related GSK samples? If that’s true, specimen samples became even more valuable.  Test it all!

For all we know he could be 7.4% Dutch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The HLN series was the creepiest shit I've ever seen.  Glad to see they caught him.  Will be interesting to see how they zeroed in on him.  A tip + DNA or did DNA give them what they needed?  They kept referencing DNA and needle in a haystack.  Have to think it was a tip with timing in regards to the HLN series finishing up a week or two ago.

8 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This is also some crazy shit- He used to be a cop and got fired for not answering any questions for why he shoplifted a hammer and dog repellant- 

Pretty crazy dude was never a suspect; flashlight in the eyes is a total cop move and the East Area rapes suddenly move south after this guy gets fired for stealing burgler equipment and moves to SoCal.

Cops didnt do shit. Daughter probably watched the show, realized a lot of the circumstantial stuff matched her dad and called it in

On 3/25/2018 at 11:43 PM, Houstonian said:

I read up on this a few days ago. They profile him as super high-functional and highly intelligent. 

Sounds like overcompensation. He's probably dead or incarcerated. Sick fuck.

Looks like I was wrong. Heartbreakingly, his job during the time he committed these murders was to protect us all. #Bernardissimo

Edited by Houstonian

Regarding a public tip, it could go something similar to an exercise I went through with all of this. I read the original thread about this on shaggy and just started noodling around on some stuff in terms of how I’d run questions through for this in a big data exercise. 

Total number of people who lived in Sacto footprint, starting with immediate footprint of crimes, during period and then moved to Santa Barbara (or wherever it was) during the next crime spree. 

+

Filter for military, police, or security backgrounds. 

+

Filter for having families. 

+

Filter for zero prison time post whatever prop number it was. 

+

Filter for white males below 6’0” between 20-50 years of age in 1980.

=

Probably less than 50 men, all of whom could be investigated further. 

That might sound crazy, but I’ve worked/led big data projects and dealt directly with Palantir, who works with numerous LEO agencies in Cali. That kind of query against their pools of unstructured data would probably lead to the exact hit with this guy, give or take 25-50 others on the list as well. I’m actually surprised this wasn’t the way it was resolved and handled in that manner 4-6 years ago. My guess is that Zodiac could get narrowed like this. It’s kind of scary how close that work can get now. It’s legit. 

A group from somewhere like this or reddit could probably run a similar exercise as I just described against an unsolved case with enough facts around it to solve it, provided that one of the players had the ability to get someone at a LEO to push it through their data lake. In the future, data scientists will be more important than detectives at police departments and the FBI. That’s partly disturbing, I guess. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding a public tip, it could go something similar to an exercise I went through with all of this. I read the original thread about this on shaggy and just started noodling around on some stuff in terms of how I’d run questions through for this in a big data exercise. 

Total number of people who lived in Sacto footprint, starting with immediate footprint of crimes, during period and then moved to Santa Barbara (or wherever it was) during the next crime spree. 

+

Filter for military, police, or security backgrounds. 

+

Filter for having families. 

+

Filter for zero prison time post whatever prop number it was. 

+

Filter for white males below 6’0” between 20-50 years of age in 1980.

=

Probably less than 50 men, all of whom could be investigated further. 

That might sound crazy, but I’ve worked/led big data projects and dealt directly with Palantir, who works with numerous LEO agencies in Cali. That kind of query against their pools of unstructured data would probably lead to the exact hit with this guy, give or take 25-50 others on the list as well. I’m actually surprised this wasn’t the way it was resolved and handled in that manner 4-6 years ago. My guess is that Zodiac could get narrowed like this. It’s kind of scary how close that work can get now. It’s legit. 

A group from somewhere like this or reddit could probably run a similar exercise as I just described against an unsolved case with enough facts around it to solve it, provided that one of the players had the ability to get someone at a LEO to push it through their data lake. In the future, data scientists will be more important than detectives at police departments and the FBI. That’s partly disturbing, I guess. 

They should do this to find the Scranton Strangler.

18 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

serial-killer-composite.jpgStil not sure why they included a sketch of Sam Ehlinger in the array.

Maybe because Owen Wilson there on the left is going to play Sam in an upcoming movie.  The other guy could be kinda John Ritter but he died awhile back, he'd have to be pretty clever to be a murderer after he''s dead.  But you never know...

Edited by phdhorn

16 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I don't believe this guy was named in the book. I haven't read it but I believe Oswalt's wife researching the book and the old case might have aided or at least helped law enforcement take another look at the case or look at other leads. Oswalt and the guys that finished the book said they would need to go through all of her notes to see if she ever had any info specifically about the guy. 

Book was more about the case itself AND the real possibility that he was probably still out there and living in the same area just no longer raping and killing people because he was old. 

16 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Sounds like it might be a good time to sell my stock in 23 and Me

On 4/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, Vito Andolini said:

So, they aren’t going to reveal how they identified DeAngelo. 

It's been revealed.  They sent it to ancestry.com or another DNA site and it came back with a relative who had used the same DNA site, and then they figured out who in that family fit the profile.  I'm glad they caught this guy but that is kind of chilling.  It probably warrants its own thread:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ae25c20e4b04aa23f215823

Edit:  for some reason I didn't see the previous posts on this, my mistake. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's been revealed.  They sent it to ancestry.com or another DNA site and it came back with a relative who had used the same DNA site, and then they figured out who in that family fit the profile.  I'm glad they caught this guy but that is kind of chilling if you're a rapist or serial killer.  It probably warrants its own thread:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ae25c20e4b04aa23f215823

Edit:  for some reason I didn't see the previous posts on this, my mistake. 

fify

On 4/26/2018 at 5:19 AM, closetojumping said:

That’s partly disturbing, I guess. 

That's more than partly disturbing.  I would not feel comfortable with a bunch of shitheads from reddit running around trying to solve crimes / falsely accuse innocent people.  Also, what' original about your filters?  Seems like every one of those filters would have been applied years ago.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's more than partly disturbing.  I would not feel comfortable with a bunch of shitheads from reddit running around trying to solve crimes / falsely accuse innocent people.  Also, what' original about your filters?  Seems like every one of those filters would have been applied years ago.

Reddit is already doing that, so if that disturbs, well, good luck. The disturbing part is the data pooling and AI that can narrow in on anything it wants and the average dickhead is nearing the point where they’ll be able to do as much. 

As to the filters, unstructured data work and machine learning haven’t become fully functional until relatively recently. The LEOs at the local levels have mostly been using the capabilities for pre-crime anti-gang and anti-drug stuff. The point was the filters weren’t very creative but they’d almost certainly, when stacked together, have revealed a small list with this guy on it. It’s kind of obvious that the LEOs aren’t using the tech on cold cases yet. If there isn’t a DNA match somewhere as a trigger, the crime isn’t pursued if it happened in the 80’s or earlier. I think that will change soon. 

Interesting legal implications about your right to privacy if your DNA is partially matched based on relatives submitting their DNA to private companies.   I assume you can't be arrested/indicted/convicted solely that your cousin's DNA partially matched to a crime scene but it can point the police in your (& other relatives') direction as a suspect.   I wonder if that is enough evidence to get a judge to force all relatives to providing a DNA sample.  

Dont'  get me wrong.  I'm cool with capturing all criminals but you don't want to see serial killers being released on appeal because the  cops or the DA got too far over their skis.

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I work very near "cognitive/AI/MachineLearning/NLP/enter-your-buzzword here" and even the most robust of those attempting unstructured/semi-structured data aren't *reliably* there yet. I'm talking even like a Wipro Holmes...and even IBM Watson.

I can only speak to my own experiences, but I've seen big data + machine learning deliver results that we turned into actions that impacted the business. We did it with 3 firms on various projects - two start-ups who are now growing and Palantir. For the field in which I worked at the time, it was pretty cool. I know Palantir catches shit for their capabilities partnering with law enforcement, so there are at least two fields where it's more than buzz. I get your point and agree with it - I'm just pointing out that in the past few years, some areas have figured it out.

Such a bizarre story. The guy just up and quits being a serial killer/rapist for 30 years to apparently lead a normal family life and then gets busted from a random relative uploading their DNA to one of the few sites that has no privacy filters in place.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Such a bizarre story. The guy just up and quits being a serial killer/rapist for 30 years to apparently lead a normal family life and then gets busted from a random relative uploading their DNA to one of the few sites that has no privacy filters in place.

the whole idea of these DNA sites is to connect with people who share your DNA. the site doesn't have to provide law enforcement with data not available to anybody that signs up. as long as you are able to send in a viable DNA sample, you get back all the people in the database that share enough DNA to be related.

we pretty easily found my GF's real father using Ancestry DNA. it didn't directly link to him, but it did link to a few close enough relatives of his that we were able to figure it out.

also, about him just up and quitting being a serial killer/rapist. i read his last victim was in 1986, the same year that the whole DNA identification of suspects was developed. it makes sense that him being in law enforcement and being aware of these things that all the sudden he was shitting bricks and continued to shit bricks for the next 30 years just waiting to be caught. i imagine he was very careful that nothing came up where his DNA came into the system. he just didn't count on the development of these genealogical DNA databases where they didn't need his exact DNA.

8 minutes ago, Shenanigans said:

Looks like they found the match using GEDmatch.com, which is an open source geneology site and not a private one like Ancestry or 23andme.

This is the notice on their website:

otmy96e9thu01.jpg

And...if I was the FBI, I would be doing a MASSIVE data dump of all DNA profiles currently on the site....and then comparing it to the list a month from now, and see who pulled theirs down and has something to hide....

• Fuck You 1