Your kids and weed

Sandman

Update:

Went to court yesterday, I was surprised at how many parents and kids were there. I guess they have a set day and time for juvenile cases in my town. My kid pled guilty to the charges, the elderly judge gave her a calm version of the riot act, then deferred the sentence for 6 months. The judge then chose 6 novels from a list he had in front of him and said she had to read each one and give a book report on them. She also has to attend a "first time offenders" class. He said if she gets everything done, "You will be rewarded.". If not, the cost of the tickets is over $1800 and she could have her license suspended. I told her she needs to start reading today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Update:

Went to court yesterday, I was surprised at how many parents and kids were there. I guess they have a set day and time for juvenile cases in my town. My kid pled guilty to the charges, the elderly judge gave her a calm version of the riot act, then deferred the sentence for 6 months. The judge then chose 6 novels from a list he had in front of him and said she had to read each one and give a book report on them. She also has to attend a "first time offenders" class. He said if she gets everything done, "You will be rewarded.". If not, the cost of the tickets is over $1800 and she could have her license suspended. I told her she needs to start reading today.

What books? 

I must have started my period.  I haven't visited this thread in a while, but I'm finding a lot of posts disturbing and depressing.

I'll take my old ass out of here now and go yell at some clouds...or something. 

Edit: Being in San Antonio brings back some very lucid, depressing memories concerning MJ, please accept my apologies for being judgemental. 

2 hours ago, thestud said:

If I had gotten caught for 1/10th the stupid shit I did in high school I’d still be in prison right now. I was arrested twice before my 17th birthday and if you get my dad drunk enough he’ll admit he didn’t think I would live to see my 21st birthday given the crowd I associated with and the decisions I made.

As it stands I grew up a little, grew stupid, then grew up some more and finally halfway got my shit together. Over this past weekend I was directly responsible for two separate cases of sudden cardiac arrest not only regaining pulses but eventually being diagnosed with a high probability of discharge with zero deficits.

Don’t be easy on your kid, but don’t give up on her either.

I agree, I did dumb stuff as well. Not drugs or alcohol but other dumb shit, but I never got caught. I was lucky.

I'll admit that I'm having a hard time with it, it pisses me off. But she's a good student and is always good mannered. Perhaps she's got a bit of Eddie Haskell in her, making a good show for the adults? I dunno. I try to be firm but not harsh, supportive but not her "buddy". She hasn't been allowed to drive since the incident and I'm not sure when I'll let her start again. Her goal is to become an RN, so pretty interesting that you mention you're in a medical field. Perhaps it attracts a certain type of personality? I sure as hell don't have it.

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I agree, I did dumb stuff as well. Not drugs or alcohol but other dumb shit, but I never got caught. I was lucky.

I'll admit that I'm having a hard time with it, it pisses me off. But she's a good student and is always good mannered. Perhaps she's got a bit of Eddie Haskell in her, making a good show for the adults? I dunno. I try to be firm but not harsh, supportive but not her "buddy". She hasn't been allowed to drive since the incident and I'm not sure when I'll let her start again. Her goal is to become an RN, so pretty interesting that you mention you're in a medical field. Perhaps it attracts a certain type of personality? I sure as hell don't have it.

Peer pressure is a bitch.  

You’re holding her accountable, so you’re on the right path.  It’s scary shit and at this point mostly out of your control.

48 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Great Expectations

As I Lay Dying

Little Women

The Scarlet Letter

The Jungle

Their Eyes Were Watching God

WTF?  Didn't she read those in HS?  Pretty sure I had to read 4 of them in HS.  I highly recommend the Cliff Notes on Great Expectations.  I think I actually read The Jungle.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, Tailgate said:

I had the opposite problem. My kids found my weed.

Doh!

Dad?

On 1/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

My oldest (now 30) used to hit the weed pretty hard in in HS and college (UT-Austin-music major).  Things got out of control in college with study/sleep drugs and we had to have a come to Jesus meeting.  He took it to extremes and quit the alcohol as well.  But I can tell he was in a bad place mentally with the other non-weed stuff.

Makes me worry about my two youngest boys who are 11 and 12.  All good now but they are competitive rock climbers and their other favorite pastimes disc golf and skateboarding...and they also used to both play guitar.  They seem to have addictive personalities if Fortnight play is any indication.  I might be in for a rough ride.

I used to be a pretty serious rock climber. The climbers I climbed with were the biggest stoners I have ever encountered. And I've encountered a lot of stoners in my life, let me tell you.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:31 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

What books? 

Fear and Loathing

31 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I used to be a pretty serious rock climber. The climbers I climbed with were the biggest stoners I have ever encountered. And I've encountered a lot of stoners in my life, let me tell you.

..and that is why you don't stay in the tent area at Miguel's when you are climbing at "The Red"...if you have young children.  Sport is getting more family oriented and seems like more serious and athletic than it used to be.  I have never smelled the hippie lettuce except at Lake Travis.

35 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

..and that is why you don't stay in the tent area at Miguel's when you are climbing at "The Red"...if you have young children.  Sport is getting more family oriented and seems like more serious and athletic than it used to be.  I have never smelled the hippie lettuce except at Lake Travis.

Yeah, no kids around back when I was climbing.

Edit: and very few climbing walls either. For me, a climbing wall was the old rock wall around the spring on the Robert E Lee side of Barton Springs. Or they were homemade.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

• 5 months later...

Update #2: Went to court today. In a twist, there was a different judge this time. He thumbed through the book reports, asked her some questions about herself (What do you want to do after HS, etc) and said we were good to go. Had to pay the court costs of $225, which my daughter paid out of her own money. I told her I hope she learned how easy she just got it and that it won't happen again when she turns 18 in a few months. 

I was sweating like a whore in church the whole time we were in there. So glad it's over.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:46 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

The Devil's Weed is pretty tame for a lot of the really old school climbers. Folks used to be tripping on acid halfway up El Cap back in the day. I couldn't imagine that ever sounding like a good idea after you set up an anchor, but then again I have a family instead of a van.