True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

Why wouldn't Hoyt remodel the pink dungeon after Julie ran away from Scooby Doo mansion? Certainly that's something that would have been done after Isabel overdosed, right? How about after Hoyt kicked the bucket? 

So Hoyt cared enough about his reputation and legacy in 1990 to stop the Purcell investigation dead in its tracks by silencing Hays with a threat to expose him for the murder of Harris James, but simply never could find the time to at least repaint the basement? 

Yeah, okay Nicky P. Good job, good effort. 

• Like 2

The difference between S1 and S3 can probably be distilled down to 3 scenes.

1.) time is a flat circle shoot out

2.) tracking shot dope house hold up.

3.) Cthulu nebula hallucination in “carcosa”.

If they could have substituted something comparable most everone would be wetting their pants over S3.

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The difference between S1 and S3 can probably be distilled down to 3 scenes.

1.) time is a flat circle shoot out

2.) tracking shot dope house hold up.

3.) Cthulu nebula hallucination in “carcosa”.

If they could have substituted something comparable most everone would be wetting their pants over S3.

jesus fucking christ man...are you a complete fucking idiot?

you completely left off alexandra daddario's tits...

fucking hell.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I was holding off watching this and decided to let surly tell me if its worth 7-8 hours of time.  Sound like it's a "no."   Nick P. sucks.  

You made the right call, and I'm convinced that anyone saying this season was good is trying to trick you into watching it. 

Season 2 had better music. That’s about all that was better about it.

But I didn’t care for the ending of this one. I thought it was really getting interesting when Hays and West were talking about the lack of closure but there was still half an hour to go. I thought we were going to get something really cool but instead we got amnesia and a couple painful husband and wife scenes and then it ended.

Ali is fantastic. I want to see more of his stuff.

I liked it also, but expected more.  He had something special with the actors and the setting, just couldn't deliver anything other then okay.

Did they ever say how the Hays's wife dies?  I hated that character and fast forwarded past almost every dumb, needlessly time consuming conversation she had with Ali. 

Eliza is so clearly a stand in for the TV watchers insisting on a conspiracy.  Look! Look! Pedophiles! Connections!

And she noted the “Nebraska case” (the Franklin child abuse scandal) which was generally debunked.  That she is hanging on to that in 2015 shows she is more Alex Jones and less Making a Murderer. 

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

I liked it also, but expected more.  He had something special with the actors and the setting, just couldn't deliver anything other then okay.

Did they ever say how the Hays's wife dies?  I hated that character and fast forwarded past almost every dumb, needlessly time consuming conversation she had with Ali. 

Fast forwarded through the scenes with the wife? Those weren't important at all. 

How was the season premiere of Ow, My Balls?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just finished, thought it was terrible, about on par with season 2.

Save me the crap about good acting. You can’t put Daniel Day-Lewis and Christian Bale in a season of Walking Dead and magically have a show worth watching. The story and characters were shit and good acting can’t save that mess.

It would’ve been better with only 2 timelines. The 2015 timeline told us from the beginning that the 1980 and 1990 investigations failed, therefore we got to watch a bunch of dead ends. It also meant the entire season was set up for 2 elderly retired detectives, one of which has dementia, to “solve” the case when it would be too little too late. I didn’t need a big conspiracy to be revealed, but that was completely predictable and lame.

Wayne and Amelia had zero chemistry. Their scenes were depressing and pointless because all we did is watch them fight. I bet an entire hour was spent on their fighting, so that’s basically one whole episode that should’ve been trimmed.

Wayne never bothered to read his wife’s book, which happened to contain important info she had dug up? Great detective work there.

Hoyt died or whatever and his estate sat vacant with the dungeon intact? No one bothered to clean that up?

The reporter was stupid. That was just a vehicle to prompt Old Wayne’s memories, then they throw in pointless drama where she is boning his son, then she disappears completely.

I’m still annoyed that 1980 and 1990 are told through the lens of Wayne’s fading memory, yet we have scenes that he wasn’t present for. You can’t tell a story like that where you just randomly insert memories that didn’t belong to the storyteller.

Complete waste of 8 hours and I’m a sucker for jumping in so early.

• Like 4

I thought either Wayne or the son mentioned Amelia dying of cancer in one of the first couple of episodes but I just googled to confirm and apparently I filled in that blank myself and the show never actually answered how or exactly when she died.

But I did discover the actress who plays Amelia is 45 years old! She looks like she’s in her early 30s to me - I think she’s super beautiful. And I also thought she was Tessa Thompson for the first few episodes.

They could be twins.

9f9082a053e36181db876c8604da19b6.jpg
7f156e63f1edf40efb57c3a04eecdc9f.jpg

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

As a character study, it was a good season. Ali and Dorff were great. As a detective story, it was a let down. Everyone was expecting a conspiracy, instead it was a rich guy with a crazy daughter. I did enjoy the twist with the nuns. 

Everyone expected a grand conspiracy in season 1 and it was simply a loony groundskeeper Willie.

13 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

- So it is unclear to me if Hoyt is truly bad.  He threatened Wayne more with exposure for the murder than anything else.  Unanswered question as to whether Harris James killed the dad with or without Hoyt knowledge. 

- I am not sure how the cousin plays into it, frankly.  I imagine Mr. June went to see him to see if he knew where Julie went.

I liked the season.  In the minority, I guess.

He's certainly not good.  He authorized paying off an unfit mother so his crazy daughter could substitute playing mommy dearest.  He covered up the boy's murder and had his fixer plant evidence.  He's not exactly without dirt on his hands.

Cousin?  Or do you mean Uncle?  He was made to go with the children when they played dress up as Scary Mary.

I liked the season a lot.  Most let down have themselves to blame.  Despite season 1 having no grand conspiracy and instead being the resolution of the "case that got away" and brought some contentment and maybe some enlightenment to two old detectives, the convinced themselves that season 3 was going to be the grand conspiracy season.  I really liked the bittersweet finale and it definitely had a lot of sweet in it.  Great acting, good music, and an interesting twist at the end.

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I hope Stephen Dorff rides this momentum to get good gigs. 

He was fantastic.  I'm going to guess he gets the biggest kick in his career from this.  Ali was pretty ascendent already and McNairy is a really good character actor.  Ejogo will probably get more roles.

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Eliza is so clearly a stand in for the TV watchers insisting on a conspiracy.  Look! Look! Pedophiles! Connections!

And she noted the “Nebraska case” (the Franklin child abuse scandal) which was generally debunked.  That she is hanging on to that in 2015 shows she is more Alex Jones and less Making a Murderer. 

There's a theory that Henry keeps the address so he can give it to Eliza and she can finally get to the truth.  I hate that thought.  Julie Purcell had her happy ending after a decade of being drugged and being a surrogate for a dead daughter.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, Brandywine said:

I liked the overall season. Maybe had the editing been tighter at the end this last episode would have been great. Didn't understand the last 15 minutes or why it was needed. Especially the last scene. Same thing happened, IMO, with season 1. Just lost steam. 

Last scene is a metaphor.  He's entering the jungles of his memories and/or own mind and its dense and difficult terrain.

IMO, the last scene is to show that despite Amelia arguably destroying his career and subjugating his identity as a detective, she was his true love and eventually she became the passenger in his subconscious.

• Like 1

As a character study, it was a good season. Ali and Dorff were great. As a detective story, it was a let down. Everyone was expecting a conspiracy, instead it was a rich guy with a crazy daughter. I did enjoy the twist with the nuns. 

Just like S1 but S1 had a retard and the benefit of top shelf tits.
  • Fuck You 1

My theory (subject and likely to change)
- Hoyt daughter played with Julie and Will in woods often.  Mr. June drove her to do so   
- Will dies (accidentally?) and Mr. June and Hoyt daughter take Julie in panic  
- Hoyt daughter (with June help) raises Julie in basement of compound. She lives in pink room.  June gets to know her then and it’s why he seemed more concerned and potentially benevolent in book reading scene   
- Somehow Lucy finds out, is paid off.  She had told cousin about it.  Cousin tried at some point to shake down June in bar   
- Julie runs away.  
- Hoyt is a bad guy.  He has people killed and stuff.  But the sex/pedophile angle ends up a red herring. 

Probably all wrong. 

Damn dude. Just catching up on this thread but you kinda nailed it.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Nic Pizzadelivery posts here as A-Tex Devil.

Ha!  No.  It just seems like they were converging on the conspiracy itself (as driven by Eliza) being the red herring (as opposed to season one where it was just dropped at the end but there was clearly something beyond the lawnmower man).  

There were hints as to all of this, but biggest one was the way June was seen as a procurer by Wayne, Roland, and Eliza, but when you actually first saw him at book reading, he is generally concerned and outraged.   

They hinted at accident well in advance as well (notably Amelia suggesting it).

And again, Eliza is a stand in for the reddit crowd trying to find things where they aren’t, stuck on conspiracies, etc.   Even Henry hooked up with her because it was “new and fun” and trying to untangle conspiracies can be that way for an audience.   She was disappointed Wayne didn’t see the conspiracies she was espousing.  Wayne’s simply “not sure about all that.”  

54 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Good shows (Breaking Bad, The Wire, Game of thrones, Rome, Band of Brothers) meet a modicum of expectations. This did not. Because this is not a good show. 

I mean you just named 5 of the all time great shows.  If that is your measuring stick for every thing that graces your television you are going to constantly be disappointed.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:13 AM, Neonmoon said:

Only one episode left, and we still don’t know shit. Tom’s dead. Harris is dead. Yet we’ve learned nothing. They have a shit ton of explaining to do in one episode. 

What happened to the girl? Who was she taken by and why? Is she still alive? How did she escape? Who killed he brother? Why did they kill her brother? Why did they place those dolls by the body? Was Tom gay? Was Harris gay? Did Harris kill Tom? What happened to Wayne’s daughter? What happened to Wayne’s wife? Why didn’t she write a second book? 

I could go on and on. This fucking show 

So Pizzolato wrapped up the bold half with a 5 minute conversation with a character that hasn’t gotten 45 seconds of screen time this whole season blaming it on two other characters who we never saw. (Sorry, we saw Hoyt for one scene)

He ignored the other loose ends he created. 

And exchanging the punishment of the crime for a buddy buddy cop ending is not a great twist to be admired because it says fuck you to those pesky Redditors. 

It’s a lie to the reader. It is saying you will tell a ghost story, and then at the end saying Ghosts don’t exist. 

• Like 1

Loved this season. Dont mind red herring since they built up to that conclusion. True Detective stays with the theme of how tragedies impact others.

Impressed how they interwove his dementia into the story. Was half-way expecting the son to put the note into a drawer with a big stack of other notes.

Great season.

• Like 1

It's not going to mollify any of the indignant teeth-gnashers, but I thought this was an interesting idea to consider. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/true-detective-season-3-finale-what-happened-to-amelia-was-wayne-dead-the-whole-time

I was tangentially reminded of Jacob's Ladder earlier in the season as well - the ghosts in his study, the mysterious car (a little bit of Stephen King's Low Men vibes there too...), and maybe another time or two when the "guy who brought demons back from Vietnam" trope was unavoidable. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 2/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Everyone expected a grand conspiracy in season 1 and it was simply a loony groundskeeper Willie.

No, it wasn't.

There was indeed a murdering pedophile ring.  It involved Rev Tuttle and many others, as evidenced by the video Rust stole that showed the rape and murder of the missing little girl.  It clearly went back to the Tuttle patriarch, and many missing children were covered up law enforcement.

Groundskeeper Willie kind of upped the ante when it came to serial killer tally, but Cohl sent a ton of material to the media implicating Louisiana officials.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Dug up this thread because I was reading the Variety interview with Stephen Dorff, and he was talking about playing Roland West.  This line caught me:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/stephen-dorff-true-detective-deputy-interview-1203226055/

You mention Roland coming from a ranch and rodeo culture, which sometimes can inform a person’s physicality and way of speaking as much as geography. How did you approach things like his accent?

I didn’t want to overdo it, but I did think he should have an accent. [Nic] told me Oklahoma at first, but then he said, “Roland’s too cool to be from Oklahoma,” so he changed it to Texas. Meanwhile, nobody knows this; it was just our backstory for me.

Edited by Liquor and Poker
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished season 3... the ending was quite anticlimactic and I agree with everyone that the marital issues storyline was a fucking waste of time. However... still way better than season 2. 

Also I really liked Stephen Dorff. Like I really wanna just sit down and have a beer with that dude.... I can't say that about any of the actors or characters in season 2.