True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

Nic Pizzolatto's back with a 3rd installment of his acclaimed (season 1) and abhorred (season 2) anthology of crime and seediness.  This time it appears he's going back more towards season 1's mysterious and haunting crime which consumes a detective for decades.  The lead is Mahershala Ali with Carmen Ejogo, Scoot McNairy and one of Meryl Strep's daughters.  Which one?  Whot hte 

Season 3 will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods — hence the flashes of Ali’s Hays in different time periods...

Stephen Dorff, Ray Fisher, Michael Greyeyes, Jon Tenney, Deborah Ayorinde, Rhys Wakefield, Sarah Gadon, Emily Nelson, Brandon Flynn, Michael Graziadei, Josh Hopkins and Jodi Balfour also star in Nic Pizzolatto’s crime anthology. Pizzolatto is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of Episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch. Daniel Sackheim directs alongside Pizzolatto, who will make his directorial debut. Jeremy Saulnier directed the first two episodes.

Pizzolatto, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Saulnier and returning executive producers Scott Stephens; Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, who toplined Season 1; Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed Season 1; along with Scott Stephens, Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown.

True Detective is slated to premiere in January 2019.

Can't really tell much from the first trailer.... So anyone still interested?  Give PIzzolatto and company a pass for season 2 or too much PTSD from LA's meandering land story?  No GoT until probably June so what else we got to watch?

Yeah I'll certainly give it a shot.

Season 2 wasn't great but it wasn't terrible or anything. It's just that Season 1 was goddamn amazing, and I'm not just talking about Alexandra Daddario's spectacularly perfect hooters; although they were certainly huge assets to the season.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

Glad to see it is the Ozarks, but I can't tell if it is going to have the feeling of people disconnected with the rest of society like Season 1 did.  I said when they announced Season 2 in LA that I didn't feel like it would work because the setting was such a big part of the intrigue.  

As someone said on Shaggy, Season 2 was as bad as Season 1 was good.  I made it about 3 or 4 episodes in when I called it quits.

56 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Season 2 had a few fleeting moments that were worth watching. 

The shootout in the city was intense as hell. 

And, ummmm, well, give me a second.  Yeah, the shootout.  That was worth watching. 

The shootout in the city was definitely the best thing about the season.

I also really enjoyed Taylor Kitch's and Rachel McAdams' performances. Collin Farrel was also good.

The problem, as others have pointed out, was Vince Vaughn.  And really it's not his fault... he was just miscast. They cast him in this role as this criminal guy but then asked him to play it "straight" and didn't utilize his talent, which is generally just great charisma.  That character should have been like a criminal version of Trent from Swingers... like a shifty, funny guy who could talk his way around a room but was also a bad ass dude... instead they tried to make him like this brooding/moody/philosophizing character akin to what McConaughey was doing in season 1 and he just can't pull that off.

The only thing I remember about Season 2 was Vince Vaughn insisting he would see the girl in 2 weeks “or less”, because for some reason they had him repeat that line like 8 times in 30 seconds.  So, I’ll give a chance to Season 3 for two weeks ... or less.

Nailed it. Very awkward scene.

In. They definitely rushed season 2 and it failed miserably. Looks like they allowed Nic some time to come write something that can hopefully capture a little of what made Season 1 so amazing. Worried that they may rely too much on the multiple timeline crutch to recreate season 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

In. They definitely rushed season 2 and it failed miserably. Looks like they allowed Nic some time to come write something that can hopefully capture a little of what made Season 1 so amazing. Worried that they may rely too much on the multiple timeline crutch to recreate season 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Season 2 did feel a little rushed.  I do however think the casting had something to do with season too not living up to the hype of season.  All of the actors involved felt out of place in the characters they were portraying.  

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The only thing I remember about Season 2 was Vince Vaughn insisting he would see the girl in 2 weeks “or less”, because for some reason they had him repeat that line like 8 times in 30 seconds. 

This pretty much sums it up.

Agree season 2 was a big letdown, but not as bad as a lot of folks say. NP had years to develop season 1 and a few months for season 2. His kind of grandiose storytelling takes a while IMHO. So I betcha season 3 rocks, especially with Ali.

Edited by Sleep off ugly
Other folks saying the damn thing

Glad to see Michael Greyeyes in a contemporary role as opposed to the Leather and Feather roles he has played in the past. Worked with him in TNT's Crazy Horse and Stolen Women back in the mid 90's. Hell of a good guy and a good actor. Check him out in the old Native American Classic- Dance Me Outside.....the naming ceremony is hilarious....

On 8/30/2018 at 8:26 AM, Bateshorn said:

All Season 2 showed is that the real genius behind Season 1 was Cary Fukunaga.

How so?

I mean, I agree that his photography and visual style were amazing and all, but he didn't write the Season 1 story, cast the parts or act.  Season 1 was great for all of the reasons above.

Season 2 was uneven because the story wasn't as good, they didn't have two actors as good as Harrelson/McCoughney headlining it, and one of the key roles (Vince Vaughn) was wildly miscast.  I'm not sure what Cary Fukunaga could have done to fix that.

My theory is that Season 1 isn't all that well written either.  Cary Fukunaga, who is just as difficult to work with as Pizzoletta, was able to turn lemons into lemonade with his visuals, pacing, and overall direction.  Combine that with Harrelson/McCoughney's acting, and you get a awesome-ness.

34 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

My theory is that Season 1 isn't all that well written either.  Cary Fukunaga, who is just as difficult to work with as Pizzoletta, was able to turn lemons into lemonade with his visuals, pacing, and overall direction.  Combine that with Harrelson/McCoughney's acting, and you get a awesome-ness.

Season 1 started great, held intensity, and then kind of fell apart for me when trying to tie up all of the loose ends in the final episode.  

It's greatness was fully revealed by Alexandria D'Addario.

• Like 1

Well the shoot out is a perfect example.  Fukunaga fought to do that scene with Pizzoletta against him the whole way.   The atmospherics of the whole show where just off the chart.  The final episode is just silly from a writing perspective, but gotdamn it was a thrilling watch.

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Season 1 started great, held intensity, and then kind of fell apart for me when trying to tie up all of the loose ends in the final episode.  

It's greatness was fully revealed by Alexandria D'Addario.

Exactly where I'm at.  The build up/intensity was phenomenal, but the end felt empty.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly where I'm at.  The build up/intensity was phenomenal, but the end felt empty.

Yep. The anticipation was much better than the results. It was great setting the tone and hurtling towards what felt like inevitable doom for all involved but in the end it was just a 'tard that wanted to get his wick wet.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, CooterBrown said:

Yep. The anticipation was much better than the results. It was great setting the tone and hurtling towards what felt like inevitable doom for all involved but in the end it was just a 'tard that wanted to get his wick wet.

Doesn't that describe us all though? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Looks like a remake of season 1 with a black dude.  

Nick P. seems like a hack who got lucky.  

Yeah.  That wasn't encouraging.  A C+ version of Season 1.  

backwoods america, religious/cultish iconography, tell me about this old case, depressed landscape, brooding music.  but now with the versions that weren't good enough to make it into my first go at this and with less talented leads!

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Yeah.  That wasn't encouraging.  A C+ version of Season 1.  

backwoods america, religious/cultish iconography, tell me about this old case, depressed landscape, brooding music.  but now with the versions that weren't good enough to make it into my first go at this and with less talented leads!

Mahershala is extremely talented. It’s not going to be his fault if this fails.