True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

• 2 months later...

Just re-watching S1 a couple weeks ago and just finished S2 today.  S1 was certainly better, but S2 was nicely entertaining on a second watch.  Valcaro's unintelligible dialog was the most difficult part to following the story in addition to the 20 character names to keep up with the "cascading betrayals".  I finally figured out why Casper was acid eye-washed and had his dick blown off.  "Two weeks or less" was not as distracting on the second round.  

I thought Season Two was sort of good. Probably Rachel McAdam's least annoying role, and Colin Farrell was excellent. If they had cast anybody else in Vince Vaughn's role it would have worked much better. Following Woody and McConaughy is a tough act to follow. 

I'm optimistic about Season 3. Anything that bring more attention to Fayetteville's shittiness is welcome. 

From that trailer it seems like the detective has some kind of memory issues - TBI? Dementia? - and the answers to the case are locked away in his brain.

The mystery will be unlocking his memory to find the real truth.

Look at me, predicting something right for once!

I love “slow burn” shows so this is up my alley so far.

Of course, Ali is always great but I’m impressed with Stephen Dorf so far and I’ve always loved Scoot McNairy too. And Mamie Gummer is almost unrecognizable with the bleached out hair.

I really liked it. I also dig the slow pace. Ali is a really good actor. So is the dad of the missing kids. Dorff isn't sucking, which is shocking. 

Also looks like he has alzheimers or something. He says he has memory problems when he's old. He keeps asking about this daughter. I think they're lying to him about it, and he doesn't remember that she's dead. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought Season Two was sort of good. Probably Rachel McAdam's least annoying role, and Colin Farrell was excellent. If they had cast anybody else in Vince Vaughn's role it would have worked much better. Following Woody and McConaughy is a tough act to follow. 

I'm optimistic about Season 3. Anything that bring more attention to Fayetteville's shittiness is welcome. 

Season 2 wasn't good, but it wasn't as terrible as people make it seem, either. Everyone wanted it to be like the first season, but the first season isn't even like the first season. 

9 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

No one will admit it because they were too busy smelling their own farts trying to solve the mystery but season 1 fell apart right after the raid in Beaumont

Trying to solve the mystery absolutely launched season one, and if I remember correctly, it was completely unintentional by the show creators. Has anyone gone back and tried to re-watch the first season? It's not that good, and almost impossible to get through a second time. Daddario's bombs and trying to solve the mystery really boosted season one. And that tracking shot.... 

Intensity ramped up toward the end of the first episode. I like that the flash forwards add interesting bits of information rather than fuck with viewers' minds a la Westworld. Lots of potential this season.

Yeah that’s working pretty well. At first I was kind of annoyed because the show knows so much that it’s not telling us and dragging it out seemed kind of contrived. But I’m good with the pace.

I’m curious what the mystery in the 2015 timeline will be, and hope it’s not “studying marginalized peoples in traditional power structures” or whatever that documentary lady said.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Intensity ramped up toward the end of the first episode. I like that the flash forwards add interesting bits of information rather than fuck with viewers' minds a la Westworld. Lots of potential this season.

Most definitely. There's a lot of great story threads I'm interested in. How does the town fall apart? What happened to the detective's daughter? How did things go sideways with the DA?

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

on episode one and i'm not really feeling it thus far. it doesn't feel like i'm watching characters in a story, it feels like i'm watching actors acting; reading lines from a script. 

Because, as @bschoolprof accurately assessed, Pizzolato is a hack. He  imitates brooding detective stories with the the depth and nuance of your average factory-line network procedural or Alex Cross movie.

True Detective, now with more timelines!

That said, I will still give this a chance.  First episode was unremarkable though, imo.

Edited by CurlyDumps

Not liking the constant jumping between timelines as I just always find that annoying no matter what show or movie it's in. If it's done only a few times in a different series of events like Pulp Fiction it's ok but constantly moving back and forth is annoying. 

Ali is good. Real good. After seeing Green Book was intertin how he'd be in this. 

Started episode one way too late at night..struggled to stay awake but not because it was bad.  Just slow, dark, and not a lot of dialogue at first.  Great acting though...the dad is from Godless on Netflix..it bugged me because I couldn't recall where until today. 

Episode 2 was really good and I agree the flash forwards reveal info as well as pose questions for what we haven't been told yet.  As soon as I saw the "doll things" in the woods, I was like "ahhh shit, this is going to be some fucked up season 1 type stuff".  Going to be dark like that movie "Prisoners" with Jake G which had a similar threat.

I'm all in on this one. Finally Sunday nights are good again

Edited by utxmike05

Dorff will always Dorff it up, though.  I never fail to have this nagging feeling I'm watching . . . Dorff.

First 2 episodes of S3 were pretty captivating.  I'm in for a while for sure.  Main cop is great, as was his flash forward version.  Garbage picker was great, too.

I think this season isn't suffering from the verbal diarrhea of season 2. I mean when you have McConaughey tossing it out with Woody poking holes in each statement, it's great TV. When you have Vince Vaughn trying to replicate, it's just terrible. It's like blue balls in your heart. Thankfully, we're not getting that or we're only getting it in small doses that make sense like when Trash Man had the line about being stuck in two different places. This is a slow burn but it's quite enjoyable. 

20 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

on episode one and i'm not really feeling it thus far. it doesn't feel like i'm watching characters in a story, it feels like i'm watching actors acting; reading lines from a script. 

you are watching actors acting.  it’s not a documentary.  dumb derka. 

5 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

I thoroughly am enjoying it. Shout out to bro from Halt and Catch Fire as grieving working class drinking husband and father of the deceased. I love the pacing.

scoot mcnairy.  he was great in Argo too.   I think he grew up in dallas and spent some time in austin before going out to LA.  don’t know where he went to high school but considering his age I assumed someone here probably knows him. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

scoot mcnairy.  he was great in Argo too.   I think he grew up in dallas and spent some time in austin before going out to LA.  don’t know where he went to high school but considering his age I assumed someone here probably knows him. 

Yeah Scoot is great.

Don't forget he was also the unnamed DEA narrator in Narcos: Mexico and will likely be central as the main DEA guy in the next season.

narcos-mexico-2-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Enjoyed the first two. Ali is really good. Someone said previously about him talking about his tunnel work. Spot on. They def borrowed the West Memphis 3 story but that seems to be more to use for the kicking off of the mystery of the girl.

- Town is named "West Finger."

-Victims last seen on bikes.

-Three "suspicious" teenagers becoming persons of interest.

-Black Sabbath shirt, Satanic Panic innuendo.

-"Devil's Den" is/was literally a nickname for an area in the woods in Robin Hood Hills where teenagers went to be naughty.

-wrong people convicted, possibly? (havent seen ep 2 yet)

That was stuff I noticed off the top of my head.