True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

16 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Creating a symbol for a pedophilia ring seems like a really bad idea. Leaving said symbol around at a crime scene, doubly bad.

These guys are the Wet Bandits of pedo rings.

I hope you don’t go to any pizza spots. I hear those are loaded with pedo symbols

On 1/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, 4th&Five said:

Maybe they pulled them from her room after she went missing?

How would they know it was hers? Parents, brother, uncle, and any friends/visitors who have been there all voluntarily submitted to having their finger prints on file with the law to be ruled out? I've never heard of prints being established that way in any real life investigation. Especially with 100 percent certainty to know it's her prints in a robbery 10 years later

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

How would they know it was hers? Parents, brother, uncle, and any friends/visitors who have been there all voluntarily submitted to having their finger prints on file with the law to be ruled out? I've never heard of prints being established that way in any real life investigation. Especially with 100 percent certainty to know it's her prints in a robbery 10 years later

they just knew.  it’s a fictional show.  shut. the. fuck. up. 

Oh look a simpleton who has zero standards and doesn't even expect a multi million dollar production to do the very minimum of research on police procedure for the most major plot point in the show just showed up. 

It's ok little boy. You may leave now. Lifetime Movie Network is that way. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

Oh look a simpleton who has zero standards and doesn't even expect a multi million dollar production to do the very minimum of research on police procedure for the most major plot point in the show just showed up. 

It's ok little boy. You may leave now. Lifetime Movie Network is that way. 

so awesome. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Maybe she was busted for slangin’ when she was 8.

Or they, oh I don’t know, took her fingerprints in school like they did when I was in elementary school because of all the overhyped kidnappings and “stranger danger” stuff.

Or they printed a bunch of stuff that only she would touch - her toothbrush, her hairbrush, the knobs on her bedroom furniture, shit like that - and compared all the prints from family members and did a process of elimination.

But I’m guessing the first one.

Julie was 10 years old when she was kidnapped in 1980 - I was 8 years old in 1980 and I remember the local sheriffs coming and doing a photo and fingerprint thing when I was in elementary school just in case someone got kidnapped.

Here’s a NYT article about it from 1983.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/02/22/us/fingerprinting-of-children-spreading.html

Dude... The dead kid played Dungeons and Dragons.  The kids from Stranger Things play Dungeons and Dragons.  The dead kid's name was Will so he was obviously killed by the demogorgon and Julie was in The Upside Down for a decade.  Can't believe HBO and Netflix did a crossover!  Well played, Pizzolatto!  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Snoozer episode 3. I like the characters of Ali and Dorff a lot. Dorff’s cracks me up. There is potential here. It’d be tough to imagine this worse than Season 2, just because of casting and dialogue. 

Yea pretty slow...hard to watch late after those long football games too.  Such slow / vague dialogue sometimes...reminds me of Moonlight movie.

We learned something fucks up in the case in 1980 that caused:  1) some evidence is withheld (stuff found in woods , etc), 2) brown sedan with black man and white woman never searched for or reported (why? they showed that man telling Hays/Roland about the car), 3) Hays is apparently banned from working in town by the mayor. 

I'm guessing the town wants someone to blame and the fall person will be Woodard (who is probably killed and framed).  So someone covering it up then closes the case...or something happens where case is a dead end.  Ep 2 in 2015 the blonde chic tells Hays "I know it's tough to talk about what happened to Woodard" 

Not sure who/what Woodard had in that bag, but I don't think he is apart of Purcell kids.   Just moving it in case people come looking...still wtf.

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Snoozer episode 3. I like the characters of Ali and Dorff a lot. Dorff’s cracks me up. There is potential here. It’d be tough to imagine this worse than Season 2, just because of casting and dialogue. 

disagree about snoozer.  agree on potential.  I love the slow burn.  maybe not as great a start as season 1 but there’s a decent chance it has a better ending. 

The Hoyts (wealthy owners of the food company) are gonna have something to do with this.  Perhaps they looked to fill the void of losing their granddaughter by convincing the girl to run away to a "better" life.  Brother somehow died accidentally.
That's my completely ignorant guess as of now.

Seems like a reasonable guess. Also fits the fancy brown car.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

I don’t see how the wife could have been responsible. If so what happened to the girl?

The biggest thing I'm picking up from this season so far is Hayes being a majorly unreliable narrator. Most of what we're getting is his POV and he's obviously not all there in the latest timeline. I'm not speculating about much yet because I feel like we're going to start learning more and more info pointing to the fact that his recollection in the first two timelines is, at best, off, and at worst, a major detour from the truth.

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

The biggest thing I'm picking up from this season so far is Hayes being a majorly unreliable narrator. Most of what we're getting is his POV and he's obviously not all there in the latest timeline. I'm not speculating about much yet because I feel like we're going to start learning more and more info pointing to the fact that his recollection in the first two timelines is, at best, off, and at worst, a major detour from the truth.

good hypothesis but you can forget it and start forming a new one.

from an interview with pizzolatto:

As an audience, we’re obviously not being shown certain things that happen in earlier timelines in early episodes to maintain the mystery. But given Hays’ memory problem can we even trust the accuracy of what we are seeing? Or is even that unreliable and suspect?
If you’re seeing it, it’s reliable. I’m not playing those sorts of games with the audience, where you find out what you saw didn’t really happen, or it was a dream within a dream or something. So he is a reliable narrator. When he doesn’t know something, we know it. The times when Wayne has a full-on episode of something uncanny, like the hallucination in episode 3, you know it. In order to tell such a complicated story across three timelines, you have to have those rules, otherwise there wouldn’t be anything for the audience to hang their hat on … memory and time have always been one of my obsessive subjects in most of what I’ve done. The fluidity and mercurial quality of memory, how it can’t be fully trusted. It colors the present and we in the present, in turn, color our memories; always looking for a way to do the past, present and future as all of one thing.  

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/09/true-detective-nic-pizzolatto-interview-season-3/

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:21 AM, Continental Op said:

Dude... The dead kid played Dungeons and Dragons.  The kids from Stranger Things play Dungeons and Dragons.  The dead kid's name was Will so he was obviously killed by the demogorgon and Julie was in The Upside Down for a decade.  Can't believe HBO and Netflix did a crossover!  Well played, Pizzolatto!  

And go back and watch episode 1, front of the middle row in the English class. It’s a dead ringer for Barb.  Same glasses and sweater too.   

Hays pissed somebody who controlled his career off between 1980 and 1990 and it's fucked him over. He's pretty resentful about it. 

The Purcell dad found the Jesus. 

The Purcell mom found the hard drugs and found the grave. 

The teacher wife discovers Hays is pretty much pure asshole and boring as fuck by 1990. 

There was a cover up in 1980. Shit was stricken from the record. Powerful people were involved. 

This feels just like a season 1 retelling with a different culture, dementia introduced, and the details altered. Same basic type of story though. Ending will probably be ridiculous too and ignore all of the buildup. 

The kids ran away. The mom feels guilty bc the kids tried to tell her the uncle was doing inappropriate stuff. Julie was taken by someone, probably Hoyt related. They killed the boy so there were no witnesses. Local authorities covered it up. Hays and the wife figure it out. Hays goes Vietnam on the perpetrator's ass and thats what hes trying to hide in 2015. 

I think the girl was brain washed by a group and led her brother to the caves.  then the group killed him and she is in some kind of a cult.  loving this season so far.  also the little hand written notes are weird. maybe the uncle was sending them to the girl through the peep hole? no idea but I want answers