True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

New episode is up on HboGo.

I think one begins to see the familiar strains of Pizzolatto of trying to be a bit too secretive and coy by half. People talk around each in whispers and things alleged when as a matter of function it really doesn't make sense why they would if it was truly 2 characters talking alone.

But the actors are still fun to watch, even if the character of Wayne has become a pain in the ass to tolerate.

10 minutes ago, naija said:

New episode is up on HboGo.

I think one begins to see the familiar strains of Pizzolatto of trying to be a bit too secretive and coy by half. People talk around each in whispers and things alleged when as a matter of function it really doesn't make sense why they would if it was truly 2 characters talking alone.

But the actors are still fun to watch, even if the character of Wayne has become a pain in the ass to tolerate.

what the fuck?  I can watch episode 5 right now?

On 1/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, futureman said:

scoot mcnairy.  he was great in Argo too.   I think he grew up in dallas and spent some time in austin before going out to LA.  don’t know where he went to high school but considering his age I assumed someone here probably knows him. 

X was a good friend. Really interesting guy. 

Seriously, that shootout didn’t get you excited? And Stephen Dorff is so great in this. I’m interested how they lazily pinned this on the Indian trashman. And did the Dad take the fall in 1990? I swear some of you can’t let the game come to you. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 5

They revealed a shitload via exposition tonight. Pretty clear that Hayes and his partner probably killed that cop that worked the Woodard scene post shootout.... the one that probably planted the backpack, and/or the cousin found in the quarry.  

The Mom dead in Vegas was associated with “that guy you just named”, which I take to mean the officer that went missing and not the cousin. 

My guess is the Hoyt guy that visited Hays (per old men convo) threatened or blackmailed Hays to quit the force.  

Loving it.  The old man scene was Emmy reel for both of them. 

• Like 2

I get the story.  I'm OK with the story coming to me.  It just needs to be tighter.  

One thing I hate about this age of streaming and podcasts is that there are no time constraints.  Those force you to be more creative.  This entire series could have easily been a 4 episode arc.  They five hours they've already spent could have easily been condensed into two.

You mean they are fuking 70yrs old and the case is not solved?! Worst Detectives.

Of course Im going to keep watching. Hopefully all these seemingly pointless scenes w wife and other shirt actually mean something in the end.

There better really be some corrupt/creepy/shady fucked up thing behind all of this. Because who the fuck cares about this case that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some observations after watching episode 5 twice, and listening to a couple of podcasts: 

- We should all go back and watch the interview with Freddy Burns again. Every one of his answers could be significant. 

- If it's really Julie on the hotline, she's either on drugs or her education stopped when she was kidnapped. Geezus, she sounded like a caller on James Hale's radio show. 

- Lucy Purcell is going to come back in a big way. They didn't cast Meryl Streep's daughter for a couple scenes. 

- The ghost in the white suit is almost certainly Harris James. 

- I agree with all the Dorff positive sentiments posted above. He knows he can't hang with Ali, so he just does his own thing and it works really well. Excellent understated performance. 

- Hold The Dark on Netflix is probably worth a watch. There's a scene in the film that is "stunningly similar" to the shoot out at Woodard compound. Jeremy Saulnier directed the film, and he directed episodes 1 and 2 of Season 3. 

- If you want some 93 octane nightmare fuel, read up on the Oakland County Child Killer. There's speculation the case inspired Season 3 of True Detective. 

- Best True Detective podcasts : The Ringer, concise recap with a minimum amount of spoiler theories. And Vanity Fair, in depth analysis, exclusive interviews with the cast, but riddled with spoiler theories. Probably still worth your time, and they warn you before they go into full spoiler mode. 

This is essentially a fictional retelling of the West Memphis case.  HBO's "Paradise Lost" is a much better story than this.  The entire "Paradise Lost" trilogy is six hours.  We're five hours into this and it's people just talking to each other.  We still don't know what happened.  It's been five hours.

Just because it's slow and deliberate doesn't mean it's good.

• Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is essentially a fictional retelling of the West Memphis case.  HBO's "Paradise Lost" is a much better story than this.  The entire "Paradise Lost" trilogy is six hours.  We're five hours into this and it's people just talking to each other.  We still don't know what happened.  It's been five hours.

You must have hated Breaking Bad. 

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The 1st episode had many nods to that case. After that I'm struggling to see any resemblance to West Memphis. The outcast kids aren't even the scapegoats in the show.

This season is pretty underwhelming to me, maybe worse than season 2 but I remember season 2 about as much Hays remembers what he ate for breakfast.

The characters are completely miserable and it’s depressing to watch them sulking and bickering for an hour straight. Rust Cohle, and to a lesser extent Marty, made TD1. They have yet to create anything close to that duo.

The plot is okay so far, but I don’t wait in suspense for new episodes because they haven’t given me a strong reason to care about anyone in this fictional world. It’s also gonna be cheesy as hell when a 70 year old retired detective with dementia solves a cold case that he and his partner couldn’t solve on 2 occasions in their prime.

enjoying the show...only two things about it that i am not enjoying.

1) sick and tired of the 90's era constant fighting with the wife and all that bullshit.  so sick of it.  it better have some sort of payoff.

2) we aren't really getting any exposition on the various rabbit holes they are pursuing/pursued...no detective work.  just a whole bunch of regret and allusion to what was done.  season is tied up in regret and brooding and not a lot of investigating.  while both actors are doing a nice job, the attempt to recreate the woody-matthew car ride convos is not landing.

Ali, Dorff and Ejoge are fucking crushing this show. Have faith in the outcome 

I don’t care for the characters. Miserable detectives who fight with each other, fight with their wife and kids, and spend each episode brooding over the past. It’s tired and cliche.

Good acting can’t overcome mediocre writing. There needs to be a damn good payoff, and if TD1 and TD2 were any indication, Nic P isn’t that great with wrapping up stories.

In fairness, I read his book Galveston and thought it was pretty good, so maybe we get that down the stretch.

Eps 4 and 5 kind of picked things up for me.  Maybe i'm just a sucker for

Spoiler

Claymore fu (This Side Toward Enemy)

And some loose ends are getting tied. 

I think Dorff is really killing it for a guy who hasn't done that much. His character is picking up depth and hes displacing water.  Last thing I saw him in was Deuces Wild, which was lightweight but enjoyable.

Catching up with past recorded episodes to get current ... the time jumps in Season 1 were done by a master, those in season 3 by an apprentice.

There's an interesting story in season 3, but it's being told poorly, IMO.

And here I thought Dorf was a douchebag.  Turns out he's a douchebag that can act.