True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Catching up with past recorded episodes to get current ... the time jumps in Season 1 were done by a master, those in season 3 by an apprentice.

There's an interesting story in season 3, but it's being told poorly, IMO.

And here I thought Dorf was a douchebag.  Turns out he's a douchebag that can act.

This.

The story is a good one but not a great one no matter what some people want to believe.  It drags and the only reason the time jumps make sense is Ali's hair, quite frankly.  The story in question would be better if forced to be shorter.  

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Now we’re starting to get somewhere. 

39 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Finally going somewhere 

It's about fucking time.  It's been six hours at this point.  

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I was drinking last night, so maybe this is a dumb question that I just missed the answer to: in the most recent timeline, do we know what happened to the dad? We know the uncle, mom, and security guy are all dead, but I couldn't remember if they talked about the dad.

Been wondering that too. Dunno what happened to Tom in 2015.

Also that comment James made to Hays about not eating doughnuts was kinda awkward.

So  much stuff to unpack in the next 2 episodes: 

the derailment of the 1990 investigation, 

the falling out between Wayne and Roland, 

the death of Amelia, 

the estrangement between Wayne and Becca, 

the resolution (hopefully) of the case once and for all. 

Hold on to your butts. 

7 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I was drinking last night, so maybe this is a dumb question that I just missed the answer to: in the most recent timeline, do we know what happened to the dad? We know the uncle, mom, and security guy are all dead, but I couldn't remember if they talked about the dad.

I believe there have been passing comments that he is dead in 2015.

• Like 1

Makes me think the chicken plant is up to something more over the whole town and has had deep effects on the people lives.  Hell the lady doing the documentary hinted to that when she said something to the effect of "look how many lives have been lost to this case".  So is the chicken plant up to all kinds of no good and this is just an example of it that got in the public because the parents are so fucked up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

you didn't see the last scene of last nights show?  by the way the security man was sneaking up, that was the end of him.

2 hours ago, Player said:

So  much stuff to unpack in the next 2 episodes: 

the derailment of the 1990 investigation, 

the falling out between Wayne and Roland, 

the death of Amelia, 

the estrangement between Wayne and Becca, 

the resolution (hopefully) of the case once and for all. 

Hold on to your butts. 

kind of frustrating in a way.  this could have been a better show if done differently.  

another loose end is what happened to wayne's daughter.  in one of the first couple of episodes he asked where she was and the brother looked at him like he had dementia.

the brown sedan was brought up in the first investigation by at least two witnesses, and they didn't follow up jack diddly on it.

the pink room was a tip from the runaway girl that knew julie, but only amelia know's about it so far.  

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I believe there have been passing comments that he is dead in 2015.

Yeah, they implied he was dead.  Talked about the sheer number of fatalities related to this case.

How did Tim know where to go once he broke in the house?  Down the stairs and the hall?  What did the sign say?  Do not disturb?

The son looked at him like he had dementia because Wayne does have dementia. He asked where she was which was the exact same question he had asked 5 minutes earlier. His daughter isn't a loose end. The brother said she hated living there and went the mom's route by going to California. Wayne's might've driven her away during the period of his life that he can't remember but the son does and doesn't want to talk about it.

They know about the pink room from the runaway boy who says he knew Julie and how she thought she was a princess who lived in a pink room. They just don't know where the pink room is or if it exists. I doubt they'll discover it. I get the feeling Tom will be left somewhere to be discovered and his death made to look like a suicide. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

you didn't see the last scene of last nights show?  by the way the security man was sneaking up, that was the end of him.

I got that, but I'm not going to assume he's dead yet. He could have just been knocked unconscious, fought off the security man, etc. That wasn't definitive.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

Well I mean there's a chance security man was all "Yeah man you found our secret kid rape dungeon but if you double promise not to tell anybody I'll go ahead and let you go!" 

I heard any interesting theory today. Wayne solves the case in the 1990 timeline, and the 2015 timeline is about his struggle to remember. 

This was probably my least favorite episode of Season 3. I get it they had to move the storyline forward. 

My quibbles: 

- The Tom Purcell homosexual plot twist felt forced and unnecessary. We get it, Tom is a deeply troubled man.  

- After Tom is released, he's left free to roam throughout the police station and he just happens to overhear a critical development in Julie's case. 

- Despite the fact that half the state of Arkansas is looking for him, Dan O'Brien is holed at a hotel that he's known to frequent. 

My best guess on the next episode: 

Wayne loses his temper and beats Harris James to death. Roland makes a deal with Hoyt/ Attorney General Kindt to kill the investigation to protect Wayne and himself. This would explain why Roland is a broken man in the 2015 timeline. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:57 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

The story is a good one but not a great one no matter what some people want to believe.  It drags and the only reason the time jumps make sense is Ali's hair, quite frankly.  The story in question would be better if forced to be shorter.  

It's about fucking time.  It's been six hours at this point. 

For fucks sake, it’s an 8 hour season. You think they’ gonna give you the goods in hour 1?

My wife (no pics) and I think it outstanding so far, and are looking forward to how the story wraps up in the last 2 episodes. 

• Like 3

On 2/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

We were all drinking last night.  No excuse. Pay attention!

I am enjoying it but think payoff will be limited.  Fool me twice and all. Performances are good enough for me to get beyond that. 

Kinda where I am. I imagine we are not going to get clear cut answers to everything. Or maybe not even see the chicken club or whatever. Since well....it’s 2015 now and not solved. They going to shake down the nursing homes for the guilty chicken company people?

Great acting as always but some scenes are irrelevant and they dance around the important things they should drill into. Hope it’s more than just a town conspiracy and cover up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my biggest frustration is that Wayne and Roland were unable to solve this case in 1980 when it was fresh and again in 1990 when Julie resurfaced. It seems like the show has been on a path towards Wayne solving the case in 2015. Wayne has dementia and can't remember he was even talking to Roland a few minutes prior. He doesn't remember significant events of his past either. I'm not sure how a person in that state of mind is supposed to magically solve a cold case after 35 years. I suppose he'll find a clue in his wife's book or his former notes. Maybe that won't be the ending at all, but it seems that's been teed up since the first episode.

I don't think the story is anything special. I think they try to make up for that with multiple timelines to make the story seem more complex than it actually is, but it just ends up needlessly convoluted. Oh well, 2 more episodes.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Wayne has dementia and can't remember he was even talking to Roland a few minutes prior. 

Read a theory that Wayne faked a dementia episode in that scene once he came back and saw Roland going through his notes. Something about Wayne trying to convince Roland he’s just an old fool & not on to anything in 2015. 

Also thought it was weird how they didn’t show what Roland saw when he looked out the window. 

16 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think my biggest frustration is that Wayne and Roland were unable to solve this case in 1980 when it was fresh and again in 1990 when Julie resurfaced. It seems like the show has been on a path towards Wayne solving the case in 2015. Wayne has dementia and can't remember he was even talking to Roland a few minutes prior. He doesn't remember significant events of his past either. I'm not sure how a person in that state of mind is supposed to magically solve a cold case after 35 years. I suppose he'll find a clue in his wife's book or his former notes. Maybe that won't be the ending at all, but it seems that's been teed up since the first episode.

I don't think the story is anything special. I think they try to make up for that with multiple timelines to make the story seem more complex than it actually is, but it just ends up needlessly convoluted. Oh well, 2 more episodes.

I have a feeling they are setting it up for Wayne to solve it, and then forget that he solved it. But then his son finds his notes. 

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

So who did Wayne and Roland kill?

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Harris James, I'd imagine. Or the uncle. 

Yup. I am assuming Harris killed the Uncle, but after he tells Roland/Wayne about the Hoyts.

My guess is that Roland/Wayne somehow get shown the pink room, and Roland remembers that there was a crayon drawing of a pink room in Julie's stuff at her parents' house in 1980. Puts two and two together, confronts Harris, and winds up killing him and Roland helps him dispose of the body. 

Edited by hornian

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Read a theory that Wayne faked a dementia episode in that scene once he came back and saw Roland going through his notes. Something about Wayne trying to convince Roland he’s just an old fool & not on to anything in 2015. 

Also thought it was weird how they didn’t show what Roland saw when he looked out the window. 

This doesn't make any fucking sense. Why would Wayne reach out to Roland after not having talked to him for 20 years, ask him for help looking back at the case, all to just trick Roland into thinking he had dementia.

Some of these theories are dumb. 

29 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

the interviewer is Julie or

the interviewer is in league with the evil chicken empire and is playing Purple Hayes to find Julie 

possibly because he found her in 1990 and got her set up somewhere else but forgot where he put her

hadnt thought about anything sinister behind her motives.   she damn sure knows shit about the case he doesn't, and is not only re-opening the case for him, but damn well investigating it for him too.

49 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This doesn't make any fucking sense. Why would Wayne reach out to Roland after not having talked to him for 20 years, ask him for help looking back at the case, all to just trick Roland into thinking he had dementia.

Some of these theories are dumb. 

Unless Hayes knows Roland is in on it.

I thought that for the first couple episodes but I don’t think it holds up. If Julie wanted to remain hidden, I don’t think filming an interview with Wayne would do her much good.

Also, the ages don’t seem to match up. If Julie was ~10 in 1980, then she’s ~45 in 2015. The girl doing the interview is nowhere close to 45.

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Interesting to see the one-eyed man at the book signing.  Why would he have any interest?  It seemed like he was a red herring in the earlier episode.  Are the overusing him as a red herring or is there more to his story?  Guess we'll find out.

Two different guys.  Earlier guy had dead right eye.  Guy at book reading had dead left eye.  Too lazy to embed, but two different actors, too, if you go look at pictures.

It's plainly obvious that Ray/Roland kill Harris James.  Not sure about the uncle yet.  It's also clear Tom is dead in 2015.  How and whether by Harris James or someone else is unclear.

I still think, based on old man conversation a couple of episodes ago, that Hoyt came to Ray after they kill James (the "day after it happened") and either extorts him re: James or threatens Ray's family and then Ray quits force.  This is why Roland is so upset with him for walking away.  

The cutaway from when Emilia is interviewing the runaway to the landscaping guy out the window was too conspicuous not to mean something as well.  

2 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

the interviewer is in league with the evil chicken empire and is playing Purple Hayes to find Julie 

possibly because he found her in 1990 and got her set up somewhere else but forgot where he put her

I think wayne raped and murdered the boy in the woods and has kept julie locked in his basement for the last 35 years as his personal sex slave.  

prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Two different guys.  Earlier guy had dead right eye.  Guy at book reading had dead left eye.  Too lazy to embed, but two different actors, too, if you go look at pictures.

It's plainly obvious that Ray/Roland kill Harris James.  Not sure about the uncle yet.  It's also clear Tom is dead in 2015.  How and whether by Harris James or someone else is unclear.

I still think, based on old man conversation a couple of episodes ago, that Hoyt came to Ray after they kill James (the "day after it happened") and either extorts him re: James or threatens Ray's family and then Ray quits force.  This is why Roland is so upset with him for walking away.  

The cutaway from when Emilia is interviewing the runaway to the landscaping guy out the window was too conspicuous not to mean something as well.  

who the fuck is ray?  have you watched the show?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Well, everyone knows Wayne has dementia. What this theory presupposes is...maybe he doesn't.