2018 US Open tennis

spystud13

2 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Thanks for showing up Halep. It's only the last grand slam of the year, no biggie. Weak. 

I was just watching highlights and commentary on Halep's match and some take aways:

1) She lost in the 1st Round last year at the US Open, so she didn't have any points to defend, so she'll still be #1 in the next tournaments and for most of the rest of the year going into the year-ending playoffs.

2) In her press conference she mentioned that she always is more emotional in the 1st Round and that 1st Rounds are especially tough for her.

3) The Chris Evert & the other lady pointed out that Halep has lost in the 1st Round in 1/3 of the Grand Slams that she's entered.

4) After winning the French Open, whenever it was that she won her first Grand Slam, she said that her next goal was "To win the Olympics." Chris Evert thought that that was a bit shocking that she said "Olympics" over listing other Grand Slams.

-My thought that for a woman from Romania, winning an Olympic Gold Medal might be a bigger goal and it showed how clueless Chris Evert was that not everyone grows up playing in Tennis Clubs in the USA.

-She might have had her 3 goals as: 
(#1) Win a Grand Slam Tournament
(#2) Win an Olympic Gold Medal
(#3) Finish a year at World #1

5) Evert noted that she's played a lot of tennis this year, much more than most, and appeared to be burned out.

6) Both Evert and the announcer lady pointed out that the goal of ending the year #1 is very much in sight.

It's shocking that she's out of this tournament early on the first day, but she is burned out and her opponent played well. It looks like she should have taken more time off if she valued the grand slams, but perhaps being #1 is more important, so she cleaned up in smaller tournaments. Now she can rest and focus on accomplishing her goal of finishing the year #1. 

2 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Damn Napoleon anything else we should know about Halep? lol 

She unfortunately had a breast reduction a few years ago, because her commitment to being a top tennis player was greater than her commitment to guys enjoying watching her jiggle around the court and/or looking up photos & videos of her online.

#sad

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

She likes long walks at sunset and is turned off by mean people.

Well, she'll have plenty of time for #1, but should probably spend her time off the next two week out of the NYC area.

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If what you're saying is true Napoleon, it sounds like Halep could really benefit from a sports psychologist/mental coach. Assuming she doesn't already have one.

I would agree, but perhaps she already has one. (Don't know.) I feel like Martina Navratilova was the first player to employ a shrink as a permanent member of "her 'team'". I also feel like she was the first one to even have "a team".

I'd also think that she could use a better manager who works closely with her coach, shrink, & physical therapist to get a better handle on how to keep from overworking her. But maybe she's on course for her biggest goal of this year doing what she's doing, I do not have intimate knowledge of her or her goals.

I have to say that after watching so much of the coverage of the qualifiers last week, this feels like Week 2 of a three week tournament.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I just don’t understand how a normally rather intelligent apparel company can be this stupid. It’s not like this hasn’t been a record-breaking summer heat wave in the northeast already. 

Nike’s women are wearing pale peach. 

6 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Nice win for Sofia Kenin over Sakkari. 

Yeah thats the matcn I was watching on ESPN3. Looked like she was on her way out after blowing that 4-1 lead in the third but she was able to stave off a couple break points at 4-4 then break Sakkari for the win. Pliskova next for the little Russian-American

Those 10 or so American boys that are now 20-22 years old, that were supposed to turn out to be the best crop of Americans in a decade, are all going to be journeymen. Tiafoe probably had the most potential of the bunch, but that weird form he has with his groundstrokes was always going to plateau and hold him back. Similarly aged foreign next geners like De Minaur, Khachenov, Zverev, Rublev, Tsitsipas, Chung, Coric, Medvedev etc are all going to be the guys in 5 years playing for grand slams, not any of the Americans

Edited by perfectchaos007