NCAA recognizes UCF's national championship in record book

n64ra

The NCAA doesn't "recognize" national championships in football.  It merely mentions a team if a poll makes them a national title.  By the way, if Colley counts, then OKST should be shown in 2011, because that same poll made us national champs.  I'm glad it doesn't though.

43 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The NCAA doesn't "recognize" national championships in football.  It merely mentions a team if a poll makes them a national title.  By the way, if Colley counts, then OKST should be shown in 2011, because that same poll made us national champs.  I'm glad it doesn't though.

This. 

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You want the headline to say 'NCAA mentions UCF's national championship in record book'? Sounds like recognize to me. The alternative is crown. The NCAA crowns a national champion in basketball, baseball, etc. By the way, that same PDF lists OK St in 2011 with Colley.

Until there is a legit playoff, (with conference champs at the very least), I hope they crown everyone who goes undefeated as "NCAA champion."  I hope they crown everyone who is #1 on every obscure poll from the dawn of time going forward, until we get a real playoff. 

Sure, the 4 team 'special secret, traditional schools only' tournament is better than the 2 team 'special secret invitation, traditional schools only' tournament, but its still total bullshit. 

I hope they do this every year and we have co-champions every year, until college football fans get what they deserve.  A postseason tournament where all teams are eligible to win.

UCF was undefeated in 2017.  They beat SEC West champion Auburn.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Monster said:

Until there is a legit playoff, (with conference champs at the very least), I hope they crown everyone who goes undefeated as "NCAA champion."  I hope they crown everyone who is #1 on every obscure poll from the dawn of time going forward, until we get a real playoff. 

Sure, the 4 team 'special secret, traditional schools only' tournament is better than the 2 team 'special secret invitation, traditional schools only' tournament, but its still total bullshit. 

I hope they do this every year and we have co-champions every year, until college football fans get what they deserve.  A postseason tournament where all teams are eligible to win.

UCF was undefeated in 2017.  They beat SEC West champion Auburn.  

Exactly. The fact that every P5 conference winner at the very least is not represented in the playoffs is ludicrous. And for some reason, college fans accept this bullshit and talk themselves into that its better for the game this way. Hell some even say the old system was better where there was no real title game, just a bunch of bowls with allegiance ties and the polls crown the champ. I don't get it. But it isn't all of college football, just the FBS version. Every other classification has a true playoff. All our sports have a legit playoff.

FBS needs a playoff system like all the other lower divisions do. The bowl system is a joke. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’d be satisfied with 8, the P5 conference champs plus 3. 

There is wiggle room for a 6 team playoff too..!
All 5 P5 conference champions from the ACC/ B1G/ SEC/ XII & PAC are admitted from highest to lowest ranked/ 1 G5 wildcard/ top 2 teams get 1st round byes...

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. The fact that every P5 conference winner at the very least is not represented in the playoffs is ludicrous. And for some reason, college fans accept this bullshit and talk themselves into that its better for the game this way. Hell some even say the old system was better where there was no real title game, just a bunch of bowls with allegiance ties and the polls crown the champ. I don't get it. But it isn't all of college football, just the FBS version. Every other classification has a true playoff. All our sports have a legit playoff.

FBS needs a playoff system like all the other lower divisions do. The bowl system is a joke. 

Yep. The goal was always to win your conference. Be champion of your region, and you can brag to all your colleagues in the office and friends in your area that went to the other local schools. Bowl wins and being ranked#1 in the newspaper were nice, but for the majority of college football history, the "ANYTHING SHORT OF A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IS A FAILURE" mentality is something relatively new. Shows the growth from a regional sport to a national sport, for better or worse. 

• Like 1

FBS still has an "M"NC. If the system is set up so that a team can win every game they play and still not be the champion then it's not a real championship setup.

Obviously I wouldn't have bet two cents on UCF winning if they'd made the playoff but that's not the point. If you go undefeated then you deserve a shot at the title. That's why I favor only two options:

a. 16-team playoff with all conference champions getting in and at-larges by committee or old BCS formula. First round games at home of the higher seed, possibly quarterfinals too.
b. Split the big boys into a different division like they should be anyway. 8-team playoff with conference titles and at-larges as in the other option, but you don't need as many spots once the G5 teams aren't in the same classification. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Need to change it to a true home and away regular season like the EPL.

Every FBS team plays every other FBS team Home and Away over the course of a 248 game season. 

3 pts for a Win in regulation.  1 pt for Win in over-time.  0 pts for a Loss.  Most points at the end of the season is the One True Champion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ben Ficus said:

Need to change it to a true home and away regular season like the EPL.

Every FBS team plays every other FBS team Home and Away over the course of a 248 game season. 

3 pts for a Win in regulation.  1 pt for Win in over-time.  0 pts for a Loss.  Most points at the end of the season is the One True Champion.

I'm down. We can up the scholarship limit to 86 from 85 to account for the injuries.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:53 AM, Bill Lumbergh said:

NCAA: Tell us, Auburn, who was it that hurt you? ...

Shaquem Griffin's performance against Auburn was just unforgettable, right up there with Michael Dickson for my favorite of the bowl season,  and both are Seahawks. Griffin may start week 1. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, closetojumping said:

The reality is, Alabama lays claim to multiple national titles that aren't anything more than bullshit. Many SEC teams do that, and ATM started doing that when they tucked tail and headed east as well.

What is good for redneck fatasses spread throughout much of the south should be good for a bunch of redneck fatasses surrounding Orlando. I cheer UCF's continued claims on a title and all of the hypocritical whining being spewed by SEC honks everywhere. Alabama didn't even win their division, they played 8 fucking conference games and Mercer, and they got beat by double digits to a team that lost to UCF by double digits. Enjoy all of the schadenfreude you fucking mouthbreathing, troglodytic hillbillies. UCF has as much claim on the title last year as anyone, as far as I am concerned. 

Need to put this on the Bama stadium wall ala the bullshit Tebow speech after losing at home to unranked Mississippi. Bama’s shared their best win of the season with Troy  both won one game season titles

Fuck the rigged ass “National champions” 

UCF undefeated national champion 2017. 

The question this year is how many losses does it take to knock Alabama out of the playoffs, for everyone else, don’t fucking lose and pray

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

FBS still has an "M"NC. If the system is set up so that a team can win every game they play and still not be the champion then it's not a real championship setup.

Obviously I wouldn't have bet two cents on UCF winning if they'd made the playoff but that's not the point. If you go undefeated then you deserve a shot at the title. That's why I favor only two options:

a. 16-team playoff with all conference champions getting in and at-larges by committee or old BCS formula. First round games at home of the higher seed, possibly quarterfinals too.
b. Split the big boys into a different division like they should be anyway. 8-team playoff with conference titles and at-larges as in the other option, but you don't need as many spots once the G5 teams aren't in the same classification. 

I would be on board with "b" if you also move all independents and the MWC and AAC up into the big boy division.   

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

UCF may have been undefeated, but didn't they cancel a game (because of the hurricane) that was never played at a later date? I may be thinking of USF..

That was Miami, I believe.  They flaked out on Arkansas State

On 8/27/2018 at 10:53 AM, 'stache said:

They have listed the Pokes for '11, ND for '12, Clemson for '15 and Bama for '16. Threepeat, bitches. I guess enough people bitched about them listing UCF, the next day they went back and added Colley for the rest of the years.

In reality, I do not go by the claimed 17 titles, as they are all MNCs, even the ones under the CFP. FTR, Bama started the "claimed 12 NCs" to thumb their noses at ND, after the Bama-Miami game in Jan '93. ND claimed 11, so the Bama SID dug up 12 claims. He would have been better off and thrown more shade at ND, to claim '66, rather than '41.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol power 5 aint gonna be around much longer

and having a spot reserved for each conference champion is fucking dumb. See 2008. UF shouldnt have even been in the title game

Name me a sport where winning your division/conference did not have any reward? I can't think of any. You should be rewarded a playoff spot if you win your conference as a P5 school. There's no logic that only 4. But hey, it creates tv "drama" and has everyone bitching and arguing which they love.

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Name me a sport where winning your division/conference did not have any reward? I can't think of any. You should be rewarded a playoff spot if you win your conference as a P5 school. There's no logic that only 4. But hey, it creates tv "drama" and has everyone bitching and arguing which they love.

I see where everyone is coming from on here but its all fun and games until a 3 loss Arizona State pac 12 champion gets an automatic bid and a 1 loss Texas runner up has to sweat out hopefully getting 1 of the 3 remaining bids

2 hours ago, bamachine said:

They have listed the Pokes for '11, ND for '12, Clemson for '15 and Bama for '16. Threepeat, bitches. I guess enough people bitched about them listing UCF, the next day they went back and added Colley for the rest of the years.

In reality, I do not go by the claimed 17 titles, as they are all MNCs, even the ones under the CFP. FTR, Bama started the "claimed 12 NCs" to thumb their noses at ND, after the Bama-Miami game in Jan '93. ND claimed 11, so the Bama SID dug up 12 claims. He would have been better off and thrown more shade at ND, to claim '66, rather than '41.

Bama should absolutely claim all of those titles. So should ND.  So should Clemson and Ok State.  Hang banners, hang plaques, add it to your marketing materials.  Any team ranked #1 on any 'recognized' poll should absolutely claim a title.   This is the best way to combat the bullshit they're forcing on us.  

Edited by Monster

If universities and fans will refuse to accept the secret committee's 2 or 4 team--eye-ball test--secret vote--invite only---tournament winners as 'the one and only national champion'. then the secret committee and ESPN's eye ball test no longer control the story of college football.

And we'll be a step closer to getting an objective qualification system (with conference champs)

And ESPN can go back to reporting on sporting events, instead of trying to control the qualification process.  (A process that's become 100% fraudulent now that they've partnered with the SEC.)

Social media and message boards are actually pretty effective when it comes to this particular type of thing.  

35 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I see where everyone is coming from on here but its all fun and games until a 3 loss Arizona State pac 12 champion gets an automatic bid and a 1 loss Texas runner up has to sweat out hopefully getting 1 of the 3 remaining bids

Well what if the PAC 12 was just that much stronger but we can never tell or believe so because NO ONE outside of their conference plays a like schedule. And some conferences, SEC, don’t even do that internally (8 game schedule 12 years to see some cross div opp).

your scenario above is what puts Bama in the title game with one decent win, a double digit loss and a D2 win on their resume. Because we know they are the best, why should they need to prove it?

at least a conference champion is chosen bas d on on field results instead of a beauty contest. 

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I mean it happens in the NFL. There has been 7-9 teams win their division and get a home playoff game. Last one I remember was Seattle in 2010 and they actually beat the defending champs Saints to advance. Every conference is not always going to be equal. It goes in cycles.

But my proposal is 16. Bare minimum is 8. All P5 conference winners and 3 at large bids. UCF would have gotten a shot last season if this was the case. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How many years did we have a better team than the Big 12 North Champion but sat at home because we lost to OU? 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I mean it happens in the NFL. There has been 7-9 teams win their division and get a home playoff game. Last one I remember was Seattle in 2010 and they actually beat the defending champs Saints to advance. Every conference is not always going to be equal. It goes in cycles.

But my proposal is 16. Bare minimum is 8. All P5 conference winners and 3 at large bids. UCF would have gotten a shot last season if this was the case. 

I' was going to pos rep but I'm all out at the moment.  Agree completely. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Monster said:

Bama should absolutely claim all of those titles. So should ND.  So should Clemson and Ok State.  Hang banners, hang plaques, add it to your marketing materials.  Any team ranked #1 on any 'recognized' poll should absolutely claim a title.   This is the best way to combat the bullshit they're forcing on us.  

I believe the NCAA nullified something we'd never do anyway by making us 0-0 in '12

On 8/27/2018 at 6:30 PM, closetojumping said:

The reality is, Alabama lays claim to multiple national titles that aren't anything more than bullshit. Many SEC teams do that, and ATM started doing that when they tucked tail and headed east as well.

What is good for redneck fatasses spread throughout much of the south should be good for a bunch of redneck fatasses surrounding Orlando. I cheer UCF's continued claims on a title and all of the hypocritical whining being spewed by SEC honks everywhere. Alabama didn't even win their division, they played 8 fucking conference games and Mercer, and they got beat by double digits to a team that lost to UCF by double digits. Enjoy all of the schadenfreude you fucking mouthbreathing, troglodytic hillbillies. UCF has as much claim on the title last year as anyone, as far as I am concerned. 

Go gata