Texas A&M Football 2018: I'm here for the gangbang

bizzle

Here's bizzle's 2017 prediction, for reference.

I'm 4 weller 12's deep, so it seems like a good time to discuss kevin sumlin's 6th year at the helm. this will be my first fall in a number of years not spent on the road, so i'm looking forward to getting kicked in the balls in HD, as opposed to a $#@!ty laptop feed. 

reminder: i think this is year 7 or 8 i've done a write-up, and I think i've been within one game of the W-L every year except for that unicorn of 2012, so please invite me to vegas.

TL;DR: i have less of a feel for this team than any in probably 20 years, so who the $#@! knows. there's enough talent to scare just about every opponent on the schedule, enough scarcity of depth to lose to almost anyone, and enough roster mismanagement to invite multiple lawsuits. let's say a regular season of 7-5, a garbage bowl win, and a chad morris hire totally ruining my holidays. 

QB: so many ways to die. starkel has a great arm, questionable decision making, and no actual experience. mond needs a redshirt, but won't get it. hubenak is garbage, but a great guy with a hot girlfriend, so good for him. mazzone did a great job last year with a 50% passer in knight, but he's got his work cut out for him here. expect starkel to get a lot of time until he throws one too many crippling picks, and mond comes in to run around and airmail screen passes. 

this is a qb depth chart that gets you fired. 

RB: on the other hand, this is a RB 2-deep that maybe keeps your job. trayveon williams is awesome, a really hard worker, and a lot better than i gave him credit for coming out of hs. keith ford maybe runs a 4.7, but is a good change up power back if he can stay healthy. the rest of the depth chart is garbage, and whoever $#@!ed up the travis etienne recruitment needs to be fired immediately.

OL: for those that love / hate jim turner, this should be an opportunity to get some solid data points. on the good side of things, the guards will be good to great - eric mccoy is going to be an all-confrence guy by next year at the latest, and connor lanfear finally looks healthy. keaton sutherland had a ton of offers and needs to play well at RT, because center and left tackle are frightening. 

they've done everything they can to give koda martin the LT job, and he just can't do it - moving an undersized kid in prater there seems bizarre, but they see him every day (and for some reason love him). who knows on ryan mccollum at center. the coaches actually love this incoming freshman class - carson green, dan moore, and jared hocker all look great early - but holy $#@! why are we relying on these guys.

if they can turn these mismatched parts into a halfway decent run-blocking line (which is possible with those guards), the outlook for the season gets a lot better. if they can't move anybody, look out 4 wins.

TE: whatever. 

WR: christian kirk is awesome, and i will miss him greatly. ausbon is laquon treadwell 2.0. the rest of the unit is guys a year or two away (hezekiah jones, roshauud paul) or projects (ratley, rogers). they need to find someone to take pressure off of kirk quick, and this is where a group lacking in experience may lead to mond at QB quicker than expected. 

DE: this more or less sums up the kevin sumlin experience: recruit the number one kid in the nation in myles garrett, develop a decently recruited kid in daeshon hall into a top 3 round draft pick (while getting almost zero production out of him), and completely $#@! up everything behind those two.

jarrett johnson should be ok at one end, but everything else is duct tape and prayer. qualen cunningham has yet to get off a block in 3 years, and justin dunning and michael clemons spent most of fall camp learning how to get into a 3 point stance. just awful.

DT: if any pressure is going to be applied, has to be from here. henderson and kingsley keke have turned themselves into really solid college players, and both should have NFL careers. madubuike is finally healthy (and over 300 pounds) and looks great, and while daylon mack will never live up to his HS press clippings, if he's your 4th best tackle, you're in a good spot. would be nice to redshirt jayden peevy, but TD moton isn't doing a thing, and we need 5 guys here.

LB: hell yes. literally 2 bodies that are on scholarship and not true freshmen. otara alaka looks amazing in his uniform, and doesn't really make that many plays. hopefully another year away from medical redshirt helps. tyrel dodson actually looks pretty good this fall, and could possibly be our first decent mike in about 20 years. 

anthony hines is going to be a good one, and the coaches love buddy johnson, but both need a year to get bigger, and won't get it. one injury here is death.

CB: my expectations for this group are getting out of control, but $#@! it, i haven't seen a decent corner since sammy davis. charles oliver is smooth as hell, keeps getting better, and has a chance to be really, really good. at the other spot, priest willis is a 5 star athlete with a finesse safety's brain, hopefully a contract year gets him going. 

they've thrown just about every body they can at backup cb - converted WR kemah siverand (supposedly looks decent), 1 star debione renfro (shockingly looks decent), and 2 really tall guys in myles jones and ciifford chattman. it's hard to believe we've got 2 of the 10 6'4" guys on earth with the hips to play corner, but maybe they work in the college game. 

the nickel spot is a race to see who can commit more PI penalties between deshawn capers smith running a 4.9, and roney elam bench pressing 120 pounds. hopefully the juco kid howard steps up and takes the job.

S: a legit 2 deep! armani watts is just an awesome college safety and we'll play him all over the place. donovan wilson probably is a step slow to be considered elite, but is still a hell of a playmaker. these 2 will make a ton of plays, and occasionally get beat over the top with our zero pass rush. 

coaches are attempting to downplay their love for keldrick carper and derrick tucker, but both have a chance to be special. if only any of those guys could play defensive end.

ST: we'll have a pretty good kicker and a really good punter. yeah!

if you've read this far, well done, and $#@! you. i look forward to the 1 or 2 actual football questions / discussion, and the rest of the fun that accompanies this throughout the season.

Always enjoy your yearly predictions. 

In addition to w/l, what are your thoughts on:

- how many games would Fisher have to lose this season (or this and next) for your money guys to start hiring pi's to start monitoring for cause? 

- what's your personal take on Jimbos agreement terms?  At what point (w/l) would you start to say "oh shit"? 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

I think a better discussion thread would be who Scott Woodward decides to fill your two OPEN non-con slots with in 2022/2023 -- coincidentally the two years Del Conte asked him if he wanted to play Texas. I'll start -- Bryn Mawr and TWU.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think a better discussion thread would be who Scott Woodward decides to fill your two OPEN non-con slots with in 2022/2023 -- coincidentally the two years Del Conte asked him if he wanted to play Texas. I'll start -- Bryn Mawr and TWU.

Nah, they already have tough games lined up for those years. They’ll schedule the other teams a bit easier.

2 hours ago, bizzle said:

it's tuesday conference call time, and for the 7 of you that care, the 3 that will take the time to ask questions, the hundreds of you that live with your parents and will hurl misspelled insults, and closetojumping, here is what you can expect from my ags this year:

TLDR: i have no idea. smart money would say the defense would be better than expected (elko is really good, there are some front 7 athletes over there although the secondary is going to be slow as shit) and the offense is going to struggle transitioning to a new scheme without much talent. combine that with a schedule that has more opportunities for wins at the tailgate than on the field, and let's call it 7-5 (decent shot at 6-6, outside shot at 8-4 if the offense can click).

offense: can jimbo scheme away the lack of talent at tackle? and even if he can will we be able to have any semblance of downfield threats? his natural tendency is to lock down into the underneath stuff, but that may not be the best option with this collection of talent. 

qb: there's a reason mond had a bunch of offers coming out of IMG - dude has some arm talent, he's a hard worker, decent runner (way more fast than quick) and a smart kid. staff really wanted him to win the job, but he's conservative as hell with the ball, which works for and against him. starkel has a great arm, is kind of a weird kid, and thinks he can put the ball in any window on the field, which drives fisher insane. fisher skews conservative anyways, and i expect mond to eventually win out, which means our rb's and te's are going to catch a thousand balls at 4.6 ypa. 

foster will be interesting to watch develop. fisher is a different cat, but if does anything on an elite level, it's get the most out of his quarterback talent. 

rb: trayveon williams is being built up to stupid expectations this fall, but he's a very solid running back who shouldn't have more than about 15-18 touches a game or he'll fall apart. etwi is actually a solid little back who probably shouldn't be getting more than 3-4 carries a game. we really need jashuan corbin to grow up quick, but he may not be ready. no idea what people hyping vernon jackson see, get that guy to defense. i expected charles strong to come in and compete but he disappeared when the pads came on. 

we will feel the results of clarence mckinney lazily fucking us here for another year or two.

wr: one of several places sumlin's roster management was outstanding, there are somehow zero upperclassmen wide receivers on a team that was running the spread and seemingly signed 10 a year. good times. jhamon ausbon is lacking a step to be elite, but is going to be a really productive college wide receiver. quartney davis looks all the way back from his acl and has been fantastic in camp. need that to translate because there's not much behind it. there's a bunch of other dudes, some are faster, some are bigger, most are jags. really wished we could have payed enough to get jaylen waddle, we need someone to threaten deep badly as most good defenses should play everyone within about 7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

te: our staff seems legitimately excited about the kansas transfer jace sternberger, he's put on a bunch of weight in juco and works his ass off. for all the shit tim brewster gives and takes, the guy is actually a really good tight ends coach, so we'll see what happens. trevor wood is a big dude who can block, lol at him being an nfl guy liucci. nothing behind those guys are ready, need baylor cupp to come in hot.

ol: the marine! this is probably the biggest swing factor between a fall-apart 5 win year and a shocking 9 win campaign - turner, like most ol coaches, is a polarizing guys, and his evals are all over the fucking place. jimbo didn't exactly inspire confidence with his ol selections at FSU, so will be interesting to see what happens here. dan moore is a mauler at left tackle, which is not great when facing a bunch of first round nfl end prospects. should be ok inside from g-c-g as sutherland, hocker and especially mccoy are all solid (with mccoy having the chance to be an all-conference guy). carson green is a year away from being really good at right tackle, but there's nobody there to push him. frightening depth. maybe one guy who can fake tackle and 1-2 inside. 

defense: i believe in elko! the secondary may be unschemeable though. 

dl: should be a strength. durham is a try-hard guy who will be asked to drop a lot more this year, but a solid college player. keke won't get any pressure, but shouldn't get run on either at the other end. there are a bunch of guys at end who should be good in a year or two but one has to step up quickly, most likely bobby brown. 

mack is fun to clown on based on recruiting rankings and appetite, but is a good kid and finally seems engaged, hopefully this defense is a better fit for however many snaps he has to give. if madubuike can stay healthy he's going to be really good, need one more dt to step up and this will be a solid rotation. 

lb: dodson is a stud. alaka looks great in pads, but just isn't instinctive enough. he should be fine, no more, no less. hines is still putting it together, but is a hell of an athlete. coaches love buddy johnson, and he better be good, because there is literally nothing else on the roster. if larry pryor is forced into any meaningful snaps, i will be consuming an entire bottle of eagle rare 17 in one sitting. 

cb: charles oliver is good. everybody else is a prayer. renfro is tough as hell, but lacks a step (or three), and chattman can't stay healthy. they'll throw a lot of bodies at the position and elko's scheme protects these guys more than chavis, but still could be ugly if we can't get pressure. 

s: bunch of good, instinctive football players who will hit you, not sure who is going to cover the deep middle. donovan wilson should get an nfl shot, but not sure what he's running these days. i like derrick tucker, but again don't want the dude deep. will be interesting to see leon o'neal in live action. still wonder if he eats his way to rover in the next 18 months. 

lacamera will be a really good kicker, which is good as jimbo wants to win every game 24-21. braden mann is a punter. our returners should probably just fair catch everything and call it a net neutral.

will be fascinating to watch fisher shove square pegs into round holes all over this roster (if you will) and how fast he can get his offense executing - and even if he can, will that work in this league with the players he can get? look for me rushing the field at clemson. 

payed?  You are dead to me. 

42 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, I for one respect the fuck out of bizzle, despite his aggy status. Coming to his board and posting an in depth take on Aggy requires some big nuts and perhaps more than a little brain damage, so he gets my nod for being alright for a stupid Aggy.

Suck his dick already

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

The only player I would take from A&M's starting 22 is Dodson at linebacker.  That kid can flat out fucking hit.  I'd take the kicker as well. 

If any opponent has a good Oline, aggy defense will be in for a long damn day.

Keke would be dominant in our system at nose guard.

Last two years before he left, Rumlin saw the writing on the wall and said fuck it and went through the motions in recruiting, and coaching.  He's leaving Aggy in much the same shape that FUPM left Texas. It will be an interesting new few years for Aggy. 

I like Bizzle. He's mostly even headed with seldom bouts of crazy, but which normal college football fan isn't?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

The only player I would take from A&M's starting 22 is Dodson at linebacker.  That kid can flat out fucking hit.  I'd take the kicker as well. 

If any opponent has a good Oline, aggy defense will be in for a long damn day.

26 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Keke would be dominant in our system at nose guard.

In addition to those two, I would take McCoy (at guard, not center) and Trayveon.

I'm not sure if he would displace anyone on our starting 11 on defense, but an Anthony Hines would be nice, as well.