Texas' Best Burger

RPM

On 8/29/2018 at 7:47 PM, PatSolitanojr said:

Diablo Burger from Fred's is my hands down number 1. 

Also do yourself a favor and get a Herd burger in Jacksboro. Actually get two and eat the other one for lunch the next day. Best reheated burger on Earth. 

Let me have a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it fast. I'm in a goddamned hurry!

• Like 6

There used to be a place in Houston on the frontage road of I-10, westbound, I wanna say it was between the beltway and Brittmoore Rd., dirty, dirty place. I mean, the mini blinds were just covered in grime. Well, anyway, the burgers there were excellent. Sadly, it closed years ago. I take it that that’s the “best Texas burger” that surly is interested in discussing, right? Like, places such as Rodeo Goat need not apply, amirite?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Sadly it's fallen off. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 burgers of Waco anymore.

Cupp's on Speight was a great greasy spoon once upon a time. They've cleaned a lot of the grease off of the interior but it's still pretty decent. Pepper Jack Bacon Burger with an egg? Yes, they do that.

hvymg2.jpg

34 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Cupp's on Speight was a great greasy spoon once upon a time. They've cleaned a lot of the grease off of the interior but it's still pretty decent. Pepper Jack Bacon Burger with an egg? Yes, they do that.

hvymg2.jpg

I try to get over there once a month if there's a booth to sit in. If not I'll go over to LaSalle and get a taco.

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 9/28/2018 at 5:43 PM, XYZ said:

There used to be a place in Houston on the frontage road of I-10, westbound, I wanna say it was between the beltway and Brittmoore Rd., dirty, dirty place. I mean, the mini blinds were just covered in grime. Well, anyway, the burgers there were excellent. Sadly, it closed years ago. I take it that that’s the “best Texas burger” that surly is interested in discussing, right? Like, places such as Rodeo Goat need not apply, amirite?

Sam's Deli Diner?  If so, they moved to Kirkwood and 10.  Then Henry, the owner, up and died a few years later. The joint is still operating. 

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

had Dubl-R last Friday and was reminded of how a proper burger in this town stands up.

Waco has some legit, old school burger joints.

All of Duble-R, Dave's, and Captain Billy Whizzbang's use some spice that I don't like at all. It seems to be a well made burger though.

Give me Cupp's, Christi's, Tom's, or Kitoks and I'm happy.

Sam's Deli Diner?  If so, they moved to Kirkwood and 10.  Then Henry, the owner, up and died a few years later. The joint is still operating. 
Yep, I was wondering if I'd see Sam's mentioned in this thread. I haven't been since the late 80s / early 90s, but I certainly remember them having a damn good burger there.

59 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Yep, I was wondering if I'd see Sam's mentioned in this thread. I haven't been since the late 80s / early 90s, but I certainly remember them having a damn good burger there.

We used to eat at Sams in the early 90s. Legit contender for top burger. 

Edited by Neonmoon

23 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I used to go the one in Flower Mound, and they did a great job. Fries were great, and never any shortage of them. 

Yeah, one regular order of fries is enough for two.  Get the green chile queso to dip them in.   Actually their burgers might suck except for their mushroom burger because that is so good it is all I order.  With grilled jalapenos of course.  I am not an animal.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, BabaBooey said:

That it is. Haven't been in quite sometime, but can't go wrong with the chili delight burger. 

Place is legit.  Too bad that overpriced overhyped Bennie's Busbarn or whatever is around the corner paying for the Chronicle to name it one of the 50 best restaurants in the history of the world or whatever.

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Place is legit.  Too bad that overpriced overhyped Bennie's Busbarn or whatever is around the corner paying for the Chronicle to name it one of the 50 best restaurants in the history of the world or whatever.

Bernie's Burger bus is good IMO, for sure not top 50. You can't beat old school Broiler Burger though. Maybe I'm biased since it has nostalgia for me. That was the hangout spot after little league games as a kid.  

Small town whataburger should be a separate category from city whataburger. Those glorious sons of birches take pride in their work, it’s really a different restaurant. 

Warm (not over) toasted bun, melted cheese, a balance of condiments. Most importantly the meat is hot and has a char grill snap from the griddle.......

*’my dog just started to howl the star spangled banner 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Small town whataburger should be a separate category from city whataburger. Those glorious sons of birches take pride in their work, it’s really a different restaurant. 

Warm (not over) toasted bun, melted cheese, a balance of condiments. Most importantly the meat is hot and has a char grill snap from the griddle.......

Don't go to the one in Malakoff you'll be dissappointed. The Meth heads cant cook a burger for shit. 

21 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I have the opposite opinion.  Whataburger in Mineral Wells & Cuero sucks.

The best Whataburger on the planet is Lake Conroe. It’s constantly there to console you after Walden kicks your ass for 18 gloriously brutal holes.

Honorable mention to drunk runs to the Port A location. I’m sure that one sucks, but I don’t really have a memory of it.

14 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

The best Whataburger on the planet is Lake Conroe. It’s constantly there to console you after Walden kicks your ass for 18 gloriously brutal holes.

Honorable mention to drunk runs to the Port A location. I’m sure that one sucks, but I don’t really have a memory of it.

I love it that your honorable mention for best whataburger on the planet is one that you’re sure probably sucks.  made me laugh.