Texas' Best Burger

RPM

Frantastic Cafe in beautiful Galena Park, Texas. Shit location, great burger -- loosely hand-formed Angus, the kind that crumbles into a mess about two bites. Really good hand-cut lightly spiced fries and homemade buns. The place looks as shitty as the town it's in from the outside but don't be fooled. (Like Stanton's, it's another old-school Chinese-American run place. When they turn their mind to burgers, they don't fuck around.)

Schroeder’s Place used to be the best. The old man died and it’s not as good. Still decent.

Eds in Taylor has a solid burger. Cash only, not long hours. Good beer joint.

Double Meat at The Deli in Pflugerville is great. Patties are thin so you need the double meat. It’s the old Mama Jacks if anybody ever ate those. 

Whataburger seems to be falling off a tad. Maybe it’s just the ones I frequent in Georgetown.

Nobody posted about the burger at Holly's diner in Post, TX?  Good old fashioned flat-top griddle burger.

We're friends with the owners of the Andice general store.  Yeah, that was an interesting evening for them -- when the cops call to tell you there's a car in your store, you know you're in for good time.

And I'm sure it's mentioned above, and yeah, it's a chain, but my wife loves a burger from Mighty Fine.

In town, I gotta tell ya, I love the burger at Shady Grove.  A thick burger, grilled with a real taste from the grill.  Just a good old classic thickburger.

And, GODDAMIT I MISS MIKE'S PUB.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thestud said:

J’Layne makes burgers every bit as good as her dad did so I’m not sure sure where you’re getting it from that the quality dropped off when he passed.

J’Layne’s husband Bill passed a few months back and I’ve got a feeling Schroeder’s Place won’t be open much longer.

To each their own. I think Steve’s Place is better now and I would’ve never said that in the past. Last one I had a Schroeder’s was still raw

Sad story about GM. I worked at the Daily Texan and they were one of my accounts. I met Joel the owner and he was a good guy but always seemed ‘down.’ I found out shortly after his wife and daughter died after getting hit by a drunk driver. Such a great person and can’t imagine....don’t fucking drink and drive.

Jucy's in Longview.  Goddamn that is a tasty burger!  Definitely one of the best I have ever had.  Also when I was a kid and would visit my grandparents in Pittsburg, TX they had a place called Franklins.  It was a pharmacy up front that had an old school fountain station.  Out in the back of the building they served Hot Links and burgers.  I cannot tell you what I would do to go back in time and have one more of those burgers, and a few hotlinks there with my grandfather.  Those burgers and links were both so damn good.  Absolutely phenomenal, and 100% guarantee the place couldn't pass a health inspection if it was performed by Ronnie milsap.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Jucy's in Longview.  Goddamn that is a tasty burger!  Definitely one of the best I have ever had.  Also when I was a kid and would visit my grandparents in Pittsburg, TX they had a place called Franklins.  It was a pharmacy up front that had an old school fountain station.  Out in the back of the building they served Hot Links and burgers.  I cannot tell you what I would do to go back in time and have one more of those burgers, and a few hotlinks there with my grandfather.  Those burgers and links were both so damn good.  Absolutely phenomenal, and 100% guarantee the place couldn't pass a health inspection if it was performed by Ronnie milsap.  

I've never failed to posrep a Ronnie Milsap reference, and I'm not gonna break my streak now.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, BabaYaga said:

Always loved Top-Notch when I was in HS.  Later, in the metroplex, Deliman in Coppell with tots was a magical hangover cure.  Also a fan of Kenny's in Frisco.  

Coppell Deli (owners of deliman for those that don’t know) is my go to when craving a burger near work. Bacon cheeseburger add japs. And yeah the tots and onion rings are awesome too. Never get the fries but they look tasty as well.

16 hours ago, Covri said:

Coppell Deli (owners of deliman for those that don’t know) is my go to when craving a burger near work. Bacon cheeseburger add japs. And yeah the tots and onion rings are awesome too. Never get the fries but they look tasty as well.

When I lived there and the Coboys were still active in the area I saw players there all the time.  Larry Allen rolled up once in a Ferrari.  Dude gets out in shorts and a wife-beater.  Inside of this car was littered with Cope cans and other trash.  Baller.  Saw Q-Car and A few other guys I knew were players but didn't recognize.  

Coppell players would come in and pack away a few Stubbs or Nate Specials.  The new location is good.  But just not the same.  

On 10/11/2018 at 9:53 AM, Brisketexan said:

Nobody posted about the burger at Holly's diner in Post, TX?  Good old fashioned flat-top griddle burger.

We're friends with the owners of the Andice general store.  Yeah, that was an interesting evening for them -- when the cops call to tell you there's a car in your store, you know you're in for good time.

And I'm sure it's mentioned above, and yeah, it's a chain, but my wife loves a burger from Mighty Fine.

In town, I gotta tell ya, I love the burger at Shady Grove.  A thick burger, grilled with a real taste from the grill.  Just a good old classic thickburger.

And, GODDAMIT I MISS MIKE'S PUB.

goddamn, a mike's pub reference. best fucking burger.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, riloh05 said:

any reccos around Killeen/Harker Heights area?

Galaxy B & B is a Star Wars themed burger place, they have burgers that are more of a novelty than your traditional Texas small town burger joint.  You can get a burger and have grilled cheese sandwiches or honey buns used for a bun.  

The earlier references to burgers in Plano got me thinking back to my childhood, and how much Country Burger was a part of my life. Love that place.  Fun fact:  Back in the 80’s/90’s, the Plano City Jail did not have any kitchen facilities, so they just brought you Country Burger to your cell twice a day.

Also, didn’t read the whole thread, but my favorite overall burger in the Austin area is the Big Ass Burger at Roaring Fork.  2/3 pounds and cooked over wood.  It’s legit.

The earlier references to burgers in Plano got me thinking back to my childhood, and how much Country Burger was a part of my life. Love that place.  Fun fact:  Back in the 80’s/90’s, the Plano City Jail did not have any kitchen facilities, so they just brought you Country Burger to your cell twice a day.

Also, didn’t read the whole thread, but my favorite overall burger in the Austin area is the Big Ass Burger at Roaring Fork.  2/3 pounds and cooked over wood.  It’s legit.

It’s a damned good burger. And it’s cheap at happy hour.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, Whatever said:

Wife (no pics) is from Abilene. My FIL took me there early on in my recruitment of her. I own the cookbook, but haven't tried the burger. Next time I'm there I will.

It’s outstanding.  Had one in August.  

Ninfas on Nav ground fajita meat hamburger is my favorite though.  

On 10/2/2018 at 12:02 PM, BayouBill said:

Maybe not my all time favorite but the Texas Burger "chains" they have in a few small town is pretty solid. Better fast food burger than Whataburger.

I've only been to the one in Cameron, but I couldn't disagree more. We'd stop there on the way to see my mom's family 4-5 times a year growing up and I eventually just ate at the Subway because Texas Burger was so bad.

I've only been to the one in Cameron, but I couldn't disagree more. We'd stop there on the way to see my mom's family 4-5 times a year growing up and I eventually just ate at the Subway because Texas Burger was so bad.

Huh. I’ve always liked Texas Burger. I remember going to the one in Victoria, getting a good burger and then splitting a basket of livers and gizzards with a buddy. That’s a solid offering.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, pepper brooks said:

Just had a conversation about this over the weekend. I think we decided that Butcher Shop is better in Longview, but not by much. Also, juicys is a chain around east Texas do it loses a few points for me. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, Revolution512 said:

Schroeder’s Place used to be the best. The old man died and it’s not as good. Still decent.

Eds in Taylor has a solid burger. Cash only, not long hours. Good beer joint.

Double Meat at The Deli in Pflugerville is great. Patties are thin so you need the double meat. It’s the old Mama Jacks if anybody ever ate those. 

Whataburger seems to be falling off a tad. Maybe it’s just the ones I frequent in Georgetown.

Ed's is damn good and is probably the best place in Taylor now.  

Moe's Lounge was the best though.  Of course, I'm partial since my grandpa was Moe.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, utee94 said:

Loved that place.  And no cheese was $.10 extra.  

They'd even deliver to the dorms on campus, but it was obviously more fun to go in person.

They delivered all the way to north of Hyde Park at 51st. I think most Friday and Saturday nights ended with a delivery to our house.

3 hours ago, ckhorn said:

1. Stantons - Houston

2. Pappas BBQ - 45 & 610S

3. Novroskis - Port Arthur

4. Burger Boy - Conroe

Outside of TX - Novroskis in Sulphur, LA - Can not pass this place up.

My mom lived a few houses down from the Novrosky's in Lumberton. They make a damn fine burger. 

• 1 month later...