Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Looked like Ronaldo popped him on the back of the head. Not sure if red worthy, but dumb regardless.

Just watched the TNT coverage and they were saying that the red card was for CR7 pulling the player’s hair for a fraction of a second (my words) after the guy dove and CR7 had waved him to get up. Then he grabbed the guy’s hair for just long enough to pull up so that it could be felt by the guy now sitting up on the ground. 

The ref didn’t see any of it, but the end line ref saw the slight hair tug and the TNT guys said that it falls under “Violent Conduct toward another player” and that with the straight red he will miss the next 2 games, including his expected “return to Old Trafford”.

Sucks for soccer fans, but like with Mbappe & Neymar, opponents are going to use gamesmanship to counter the talent that they can’t match. 

3 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Bale with the nice goal. 2-0 Madrid.

Bale is still fast as shit and he’s still left-footed. Hit him with a perfectly weighted pass into space and then sit back and watch the cheetah run. 

Also, just flipped back to the Valencia vs Juventus match to see a Juventus player get a yellow card for approaching a Valencia player who started diving and wailing before the Juve player arrived and as he was falling, the Juve player cleanly tapped the ball away. But the Juve player still received a yellow. THAT card should be rescinded, but probably won’t. 

The CR7 red won’t get over-turned, but I’d say that there is about a 5%-10% chance that his suspension will be reduced to 1 match from 2. It depends on whether Old Trafford is their 3rd group match and UEFA wants him to play in that match. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The CR7 red won’t get over-turned, but I’d say that there is about a 5%-10% chance that his suspension will be reduced to 1 match from 2. It depends on whether Old Trafford is their 3rd group match and UEFA wants him to play in that match. 

UEFA will definitely make the ManU game happen. 

2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

UEFA will definitely make the ManU game happen. 

According to ESPN's article, a straight red isn't an automatic 2 game suspension. It is a one game suspension and then depending on the referee's report, a second game can be added.

"Ronaldo faces an automatic one-game ban for the red card, meaning he will miss the visit of Young Boys to the Allianz Stadium in a fortnight's time, but that could be increased to two games depending on how serious it is perceived by UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body upon reading the referee's report.

A two-game ban would consequently rule him out of Juve's trip to his former club."

Considering that the Valencia player dove and the incident nor Ronaldo's reaction were even seen by the referee, I've got to think that he will watch film to determine what he writes in his report. I hope that some sanity prevails, because that red for fucking regarded!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/3639461/var-would-have-helped-overturn-cristiano-ronaldo-red-card-juventus-coach-massimiliano-allegri

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

According to ESPN's article, a straight red isn't an automatic 2 game suspension. It is a one game suspension and then depending on the referee's report, a second game can be added.

"Ronaldo faces an automatic one-game ban for the red card, meaning he will miss the visit of Young Boys to the Allianz Stadium in a fortnight's time, but that could be increased to two games depending on how serious it is perceived by UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body upon reading the referee's report.

A two-game ban would consequently rule him out of Juve's trip to his former club."

Considering that the Valencia player dove and the incident nor Ronaldo's reaction were even seen by the referee, I've got to think that he will watch film to determine what he writes in his report. I hope that some sanity prevails, because that red for fucking regarded!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/3639461/var-would-have-helped-overturn-cristiano-ronaldo-red-card-juventus-coach-massimiliano-allegri

The Guardian tweeted this morning it'll only be a 1 game ban. 

• 2 weeks later...