Shit's Borked

RPM

2 hours ago, McFly said:

in Firefox, I turned off Enhanced Tracking Protection. that helped with some of the embed twitter videos.  Firefox also added a facebook tracking thing that was preventing a lot of things from showing up

Thanks.  I think I will just live without the embedded tweets. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, idigTexas said:

Any updates on this issue? 

For me, it happens in both Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10.  All other video formats work fine.  It happens whether or not an ad blocker is enabled.  It has been happening for at least a couple of weeks. 

Shockingly, sometimes things aren't all our fault.

• Go to twitter.com
  • To the left of the address bar, click the green text that says Twitter, inc. [US]
  • Click cookies from the menu that appeared
  • Click remove until there are no more left
  • Like 2

Can't log in using Safari Private Browsing - iOS 13.4.1* - iPad Pro.  Keep getting error code 2S119/1

*While drunk a night or two ago Apple tricked me into "updating" to this iOS and it completely sucks (by tricked I mean I thought I was telling it "no" on the update but was really saying "yes"... sneaky bastards).  Mail, websites, everything take forever to load and Surly just says fuck off.

Edited by solamente73

23 hours ago, idigTexas said:

No fault implied, just reporting the issue.  Thanks for the fix, though I think I will just live without clicking on embedded tweets. 

I know you weren't, it's just that most of the time it is our fault, and this is one of the few times it wasn't

On 5/31/2020 at 2:05 PM, blacklab said:

Try clearing your cache and if you can your cookies for surly.

I had to go to non-private browsing and accept cookies on this new iOS to get it to work (for years I’ve been private browsing and no accepting cookies).  Also, I noticed that the usual drop down login isn’t happening; it just redirects to a full login page.  Not my area of expertise; just providing data points in case it helps.

When I view Surly on Firefox it keeps jumping to the last post in a thread. It used to go to last read and it still goes to last read on Tapa. I looked in settings, but didn't see anything to change. Not sure what happened, but if I'm missing a setting, where is it?

Thanks!

On 6/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, immamac said:

Interesting I'll try to check it out. Are you clocking the thread link or the go to last page link?

I have noticed the same for the last few weeks.

FYI I am not certain of the timing but I think there was an earlier Firefox update I had been ignoring that finally got installed when this crime against humanity began. Basically I’m saying this probably isn’t your fault but that won’t stop me from holding you responsible until confirmed. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

I am using browser-based surly for the first time, as opposed to Tapatalk.  I cannot get images to upload. I've tried direct copy and paste, as well as URL insert from imgbox but it just doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? How do I upload an image to the browser view of surly?

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I am using browser-based surly for the first time, as opposed to Tapatalk.  I cannot get images to upload. I've tried direct copy and paste, as well as URL insert from imgbox but it just doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? How do I upload an image to the browser view of surly?

You have to go to a hosting website, as in imgbb or imgbox.  However, most of them give you links with html or bb (bulletin board) codes for embedding images.

So, whatever link you get, you need to delete the part before http:// and after .jpg so that all you have in the link is an http:// (or https://) link as in:

https://dbeasysnastypix.jpg

Looks like imgbox gives you that under "link only."

That will automagically link and display the pic.  It will turn blue, as above, and then the photo will paint.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, immamac said:

You can upload directly to surlyhorns servers now. I have enabled this feature for all members. 

Can you disable this? Anyone not named Wulaw can fucking post a pic, he might be the only stupid mother fucker that still needs help. 

Edited by ss13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
I’m getting this... 
https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/discover/191/
Which is this for me... 
E0-FDF389-E74-E-493-E-8-DE4-D81-BD4-CAB3-D5.png

That’s always been my bookmark & preferred setting, but the icon between home & + at the top was always Unread. I can change the filters to match yours, but that then overrides my bookmark. 
Interesting. I'll need to "log in as ss13" to poke around with the behavior - will report back later.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very untech, but I am having difficulty viewing embedded tweets. It was a problem for awhile, then it wasn't and now it has returned. I've tried turning off any enhanced protections, and it still only shows the text and if I try and click on the embedded tweet (if there is an article to link that I wish to read), the post goes blank. It does not seem to matter if it is on the phone or the computer so I tried switching off the wifi on the phone and the tweets appear. What does that mean? Is our house borked?

Try clearing your Twitter cookies. For some reason Twitter is fucked up.

If it doesn't work just go to Twitter directly and browse around for a bit then come back and see if it fixes it. It's a problem on Twitter's embed not the site unfortunately

17 hours ago, immamac said:

Try clearing your Twitter cookies. For some reason Twitter is fucked up.

If it doesn't work just go to Twitter directly and browse around for a bit then come back and see if it fixes it. It's a problem on Twitter's embed not the site unfortunately

Thanks for the reply. The issue is mildly annoying, but in the bigger picture it isn't a big deal. I'll see if I can clear the cookies and whatnot.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
clarification

I think it has more to do with the free monitoring service than anything. People would complain like crazy if it was actually 800ms apdex. If you wait for ttfb in your browser it wouldn't be that high, if it is then I can work on lowering it. You can't really have super low ttfb with php rendered webpages though, everything is dynamically rendered so the php scripts are likely the bottleneck (the database response times are sub ms for ES, Redis and MySQL)

image.png.1b6ff77accf6671d2411d1a274850829.png

Here's the top 10 qps and load over the last 24 hours. everything is super optimized from MySQL perspective (main data store). The cache is even faster and ES response times are fine.

image.png.3a6b4028d516dd5989c3be14d032b074.png

I can't really do much to optimize the dynamic pages as it's not an open source software platform and I don't wanna lose support if the board actually does get fucked up.

If it’s brand new post, you’ll see the date instead of how many minutes ago like normal. Won’t be bold like a new post should be, just another glitch around here. Refresh in a minute or so, you’ll see the difference. 

I wish there was a quick reply to do what you are talking about, unfortunately that's the design so there is no way around it. 

I've noticed the new post thing as well and I think it has to do with the cache sensitivity - it's already at 30s or something really low if I lower it more I may as well turn it off. We can run an experiment next week to see if people notice a difference (I can, but I also know when I turn it off so it may be placebo) 

oof - you can only turn off all rep notifications. I can just fucking ban him since he's "banned" right now I can just restrict access to the site so he can't neg blast people without being around? I usually don't restrict posters from the site when I restrict their posting, but if he's griefing people I can do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

oof - you can only turn off all rep notifications. I can just fucking ban him since he's "banned" right now I can just restrict access to the site so he can't neg blast people without being around? I usually don't restrict posters from the site when I restrict their posting, but if he's griefing people I can do that.

It's your call what to do, he's been on a neg spree for all of my posts for the last couple of days. I don't think it's worth a perm ban on its own, but worth remembering next time he does something timeout or ban-worthy

If he keeps up at this rate, he'll crowdsource me sometime next decade so you'd better act fast

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

So he got banned again? Isn’t that like twice in a week?

Maybe it’s time for a fatwa.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's your call what to do, he's been on a neg spree for all of my posts for the last couple of days. I don't think it's worth a perm ban on its own, but worth remembering next time he does something timeout or ban-worthy

If he keeps up at this rate, he'll crowdsource me sometime next decade so you'd better act fast

Same. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1