Shit's Borked

RPM

Again, you are the only one bitching about it and there is an active thread on Invision forums about creating a plug-in to restore the functionality. Unfortunately the people won't just let us use their old code snippet so it has to be reimplemented from scratch as a plug-in. 

11 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I did just recreate the issue. The problem is not with the site but with understanding the features. When you select various boards to display in fluid mode those are not stored in any sort of permanent way. If you click through to topics and then go back to the home page then you will have the same boards selected. However if you navigate to a single board, the software is correctly interpreting that you now want to only view a single board and your previous selections are cleared. If you want them to be permanent, use the Activity Streams as I suggested earlier.

Just to further solidify that this is the case. Go to the home page in fluid mode and select all your boards. Look at the address bar. It will be something like 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?forumId=18%2C31%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C24

Now click a topic and then go to a single board. Look at the address bar. It will be something like

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?forumId=3

Websites are only routed according to things in front of the '?', which means that according to the server those two addresses are the same. Everything after the '?' is just data used in the rendering of that page. The activity streams are not any different. The URL in the address bar for my default activity stream is this

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/discover/102/

The difference is that the stuff after the query is stored permanently in my profile so it's the same query every time. That is the functionality you want, you just aren't using the right tool to achieve it. To achieve what you want would require configuring the server to store your board selections as a permanent default setting without over-riding them every time you make a different selection. That would essentially duplicate what Activity Streams already do.

is anyone else suddenly getting a bunch of emails from surly alerting them to posts that have been made in random threads? or did i black out and subscribe to a bunch of threads without remembering?
It was either that or "Cat Facts".

I voted for the latter... But I was overruled.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:50 AM, immamac said:

Dude I can't rewrite substantial portions of the forum software for a mode that like 5 people use. It's not open source you can't just hack away at it legally and I've opened support cases on it. 

well there's yer problem right there

On 5/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, Goo Punch said:

is anyone else suddenly getting a bunch of emails from surly alerting them to posts that have been made in random threads? or did i black out and subscribe to a bunch of threads without remembering?

were they at least relevant timing wise? 

happened again today. i got an email every time someone replied to the GoT thread. So it's happening in threads that i participate in, but i've never intentionally subscribed to a thread, so to have it happen 3x in succession like this is a bit odd. 

33 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

happened again today. i got an email every time someone replied to the GoT thread. So it's happening in threads that i participate in, but i've never intentionally subscribed to a thread, so to have it happen 3x in succession like this is a bit odd. 

Have you tried PMing yourself?

• Like 2

Anytime I quote someone using my Chromebook and modestly edit their text within the quote, such as bolding a specific phrase, the post goes haywire adding in numbers or other random shit. Then, the edit link won't work to allow me to go back in and correct the post. Like others, my email is also getting spammed by the board.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, RamjetFDO said:

WTF?  All embedded videos (AND AUDIO) are auto-playing now?

EDIT: Not *all* videos -- YouTube videos are not auto-playing, but Reddit/Twitter/Imgur/etc ones are.

Is no one else having this issue?

Chrome, Windows 10, first video on the page (see the LOLpix thread) is auto-playing (with audio).

Is no one else having this issue?
Chrome, Windows 10, first video on the page (see the LOLpix thread) is auto-playing (with audio).

I am...head on over to Lowe’s.com, do it right for less!

Sounds like ads to me all the time, and it’s making tapa uber choppy on my XR...is it happening outside tapa too?

I had a new wave of email notifications for thread updates Wednesday. Cleared them all out and redid my site settings. Let's see if that lasts. I think it happens when I post something using Tapa, which isn't often.

Update: It's definitely Tapa doing it. Cleared everything, posted something with Tapa, got notifications. Going through Tapa settings to see if I can find out what's going on.

Edited by RPM

So... not sure what happened but shit got borked as of about 20 minutes ago.  Got a 500 gateway error trying to load a page.  Few minutes later the site is rendering pages without error messages, but apparently it's lost all record of my stream activities.  If I click on any of my activity streams (content I started, content I posted in, etc.), the search result is empty.  If I click to browse in fluid mode, I see the thread listings and I see threads I've posted in with the correct star icon and threads are bold/not bold accordingly if I've read them.

Bork bork bork... engage.

• Like 1

I reported a couple of times in this thread where I had noticed an issue with the activity streams not remembering older threads that I had started or posted in.  But if I posted a fresh reply in any of those threads, they would re-appear in my streams.

The current issue is not displaying any threads even when I post a new reply to them.  It's like whatever database table is used to manage the stream lists has just disappeared.

5 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I reported a couple of times in this thread where I had noticed an issue with the activity streams not remembering older threads that I had started or posted in.  But if I posted a fresh reply in any of those threads, they would re-appear in my streams.

The current issue is not displaying any threads even when I post a new reply to them.  It's like whatever database table is used to manage the stream lists has just disappeared.

usual suspects 90s GIF

• Like 1

I know everyone like their own personalize home page on surly. The fluid view give you a pretty good representation of recent activity. You can select which forums you want to see.

Example https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?forumId=17,2,3,4,5,24,9,10,22,30,23,29,12,15,16,18,31

You have to select Fluid View (arrow on left).

image.png

Edited by retread

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

This is the first borkage that really bothers me. I don't want to see all the new worthless shit, I just want to see the stuff I'm interested in. Can someone confirm that activity streams getting updated is now a "premium" feature?

I thought those were jokes, but now you have me second guessing...

7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

This is the first borkage that really bothers me. I don't want to see all the new worthless shit, I just want to see the stuff I'm interested in. Can someone confirm that activity streams getting updated is now a "premium" feature?

I hope not. I tried many, many times to get a donation to go through and shit was borked. I eventually gave up and moped off with a sad.

25 minutes ago, Llogg said:

It's not working for me and I'm a "premium" member.

Huh huh.