Is Art Acevedo going into politics? He's sorta getting involved in education.

atomheartbevo

Sure sounds like he's going to making a run at something, but I can't figure out what it is.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/education/hpd-chief-concerned-low-latino-enrollment-in-schools-is-due-to-immigration-status-deportation-fears/285-588855788

Houston's Police Chief is outspoken willing to speak up he says, especially when it concerns public safety and the well being of Houston's children.

"You just got to keep telling people you can't steal your child's future," said Acevedo.

A tweet sent Tuesday night by Acevedo in Spanish was directed at Houston's Latino community urging them to not let fear over their immigration status keep them from enrolling their children in Houston schools.

Spoiler

There is palatable fear of if I let my kids go to school are they going to be okay, or ... will my kids be okay, or ... if I let my kids go to school, I may get picked up and they may come home to an empty house," said Acevedo.

There is concern of a declining enrollment of Hispanic students over immigration fears, Acevedo says based on his conversations with leaders in education last week.

HPD's already seen crime go unreported in the Hispanic community, but he doesn't want to see those same fears impact children's education.

"I believe it's important for me to reassure families that schools are safe zones for everyone," said Acevedo. "The only ones that need to be afraid in schools are criminals, drug dealers, not young people just trying to get an education."

Acevedo reiterated he received guarantees from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on the safety of schools during a meeting 18 months ago.

"ICE made it clear they will not be coming to schools, that they will stay away from schools," said Acevedo."So please, parents, students, stay in school. It's key."

35 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I think it’s been well known for a few years now Art plans to enter politics.  

The posturing is ramping way up, but the question is where?  He always felt like a journeyman. 

Maybe he sees Houston as his shot into politics. Seems like back in California, they’d bring up his little scandal.  

He said the latter at an anti-campus carry symposium. I added the former because that was his stated position on campus carry. Yet he claims to support the 2nd Amendment.

of course the APD crime lab under his watch went tits up and got several years behind with processing the dna from thousands of rape kits submitted by rape victims. Apparently the city of Houston didn’t care about that scandal. APD is still trying to get that mess sorted out a year after he left.

again, fuck him.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bumping with this pic taken today at Yates HS in Houston's Third Ward. He's chunkin' up a double-trey there -- the three-finger hand signs represent Third Ward, or The Trey. (As opposed to the Nickel: Fifth Ward.)

102431580_587298124593_72478750397912753

tenor (20).gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bumping with this pic taken today at Yates HS in Houston's Third Ward. He's chunkin' up a double-trey there -- the three-finger hand signs represent Third Ward, or The Trey. (As opposed to the Nickel: Fifth Ward.)

102431580_587298124593_72478750397912753

Which ward is Harding St in Art? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, demos said:

Art can go fuck himself.

Yep

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-records-show-violent-houston-protesters-were-not-from-austin-as-hpd-chief-acevedo-claimed/

New records from the City of Houston show that Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo was wrong when he claimed that people from Austin were driving to Houston to participate in violence at protests there.

Houston Police arrested 603 people from May 29 to June 2 and charged them with 1,438 offenses. None had a home address listed in Travis County, according to the Houston Office of Planning & Data Governance after an open records request from KXAN.

On June 3, Acevedo said, “This is the most diverse city in the United States. This isn’t Austin, Texas, where they’re diverse as long as they’re east of 35. This is Houston, Texas. And for the people in Austin who want to tear this s— up, you’re in the wrong f—ing city, let me tell you.”

“I know there’s people here from Austin yelling at me and stuff from Austin. But I’m here to tell you, you ain’t in Austin,” he added, speaking by bullhorn to a group of protesters.

KXAN requested the public records on June 4 but did not get it until this week. We reached out to Chief Art Acevedo by phone and email Monday and then through Twitter Tuesday. At first he and his office did not respond, but he later responded on Twitter, criticizing the KXAN story.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:26 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Enter the area between Art and a TV camera at your own risk.  He's a total self-promoter and has his eyes on a future outside the police world, IMHO.  Look at his tweets and his posturing on FB about 2nd Amendment if you have any doubts.

He sure shit all over the people on Holly St his drug unit executed. Took the anti-gun approach to blame them for being SWATed. He should be fired.

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

What a dick. He’s trying to blame shit on Austin?

He is a politician at heart. He is taking the opp to get up a notch by shitting on old friends. Its the usual shit honestly. He is just a turd in a uniform.

• 10 months later...