Klobasniky's

Orange&White

28 minutes ago, Smax said:

Born and raised Texan, always called them kolaches, never heard the word klobasnik till someone said it on shag

I was born and raised in western Fort Bend county with tons of Bohemians, Czechs, Germans and Poles.  Kolache meant one thing:  a fruit filled yeast pastry.  The ones with meat (sausage only) were called pigs in a blanket.  I never saw klobasnik used until the shops along Hwy 71 (Hruska's and the one in La Grange)  used the term.  But if had called something with meat in it a kolache the old Czech ladies would have corrected me.

• Like 1

I had never heard of koblasniky either before shaggy and and I also grew up in the middle of Kolachistan.  Kolaches are open topped with a fruit filling and sausage wraps are called pig in the blankets.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I was born and raised in western Fort Bend county with tons of Bohemians, Czechs, Germans and Poles.  Kolache meant one thing:  a fruit filled yeast pastry.  The ones with meat (sausage only) were called pigs in a blanket.  I never saw klobasnik used until the shops along Hwy 71 (Hruska's and the one in La Grange)  used the term.  But if had called something with meat in it a kolache the old Czech ladies would have corrected me.

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I had never heard of koblasniky either before shaggy and and I also grew up in the middle of Kolachistan.  Kolaches are open topped with a fruit filling and sausage wraps are called pig in the blankets.

Yep.

Yeah, we know man..

The Shiner-Hallettsville-Victoria area bohemians call them sausage rolls and use real Czech sausage. Pigs in the blanket use little cocktail links.
  • Like 2

The Shiner-Hallettsville-Victoria area bohemians call them sausage rolls and use real Czech sausage. Pigs in the blanket use little cocktail links.

It's weird, dickfaces on Surly want to get didactic about kolaches, yet I walk into stores/bakeries from Houston to Austin and find sweet-ish, delicious dough wrapped around cheese, meat and jalapenos, baked to a golden hue and then sold hot, and everyone of those places call this a kolache. Who gives a fuck what old immigrants called food in the old country? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's weird, dickfaces on Surly want to get didactic about kolaches, yet I walk into stores/bakeries from Houston to Austin and find sweet-ish, delicious dough wrapped around cheese, meat and jalapenos, baked to a golden hue and then sold hot, and everyone of those places call this a kolache. Who gives a fuck what old immigrants called food in the old country? 

This. Everyone has called them Kolaches for the past 60 years. I am not changing now because some asshole did some pastry research. If they wanted them to be called something else, they should have corrected people back in 1950. 

• Like 1

He's talking about Lukas Bakery.  It's not as easy to get to as Hruska's or Weikel's because it is located on the square in La Grange.  It's mainly frequented by locals.  Their pig in the blankets are made differently.  The dough they use is less roll like and a little more chewy.  I like them a lot more than Weikel's but not as much as Hruska's because they aren't as flavorful.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

My experience is the same as yours.

I know it's from aggy, but the beef fajita one is intriguing to me.