Klobasniky's

Orange&White

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Spot on correct 

My wife's family are Victoria area bohemians. Her very Czech grandmother called them Kolatch (no 'e' in the pronunciation). They mainly make poppyseed and sausage and use real sausage. 

But they also call queso 'cheese dip' like Yankees. I have no explanation. My wife calls it queso all the time except when we're at her family gatherings then she starts calling it cheese dip again. Drives me crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Dangit said:

My wife's family are Victoria area bohemians. Her very Czech grandmother called them Kolatch (no 'e' in the pronunciation). They mainly make poppyseed and sausage and use real sausage. 

But they also call queso 'cheese dip' like Yankees. I have no explanation. My wife calls it queso all the time except when we're at her family gatherings then she starts calling it cheese dip again. Drives me crazy. 

Growing up in that area that is common. I don't remember salsa being referred to as salsa until I went to UT.  It was always hot sauce. I don't remember queso either.  Down there a tostada  was a chalupa shell covered in queso. It was never referred to as queso. I don't remember ever having queso as a dip back then either.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, IDIOTsavant said:

Indeed. The awfully designed sausage logo is unfortunate, but the actual sausage is excellent.

They took a lot of shit for it.  Apparently the owner fought it for a while, allegedly because it was his daughter that did the original design.  They've put some money into it now.  Evolution of logo below

Original turd with black face logo...

oldv.thumb.jpg.fe87a031c7c329c8db59d3358cb8b6f8.jpg

They had an interim but who cares, heres the new one...

newv.jpg.b43346346978c9854e64ba38be176f44.jpg

top-logo.png

txv.thumb.jpg.869f98acc7bb4de233a52454643fcb2d.jpg

Edited by RollLeft

23 hours ago, Dangit said:

Did they attend wood high?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 9/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, Dangit said:

It’s not that difficult, locals didn’t want to speak Spanish.  Hence no queso.  

On 9/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Place called 2 Czech Chicks in Danbury make kolatch just like my grandma did.  I certain it's the same bread recipe.  The pigs are a decent supporting cast, but the star is the kolatch. 

Drove over to try this place this morning because of this thread.  Pretty, pretty good.

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Lots of truth there.  That area aspires to be Vidor.

I grew up near El Campo, and we did our grocery shopping there because it was the closest HEB.  My wife’s family still lives there.  Man when they started labeling stuff in Spanish, the locals had a fit.  Which I found humorous, because you’re living in El Campo.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 2

On 9/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, CooterBrown said:

Growing up in that area that is common. I don't remember salsa being referred to as salsa until I went to UT.  It was always hot sauce. I don't remember queso either.  Down there a tostada  was a chalupa shell covered in queso. It was never referred to as queso. I don't remember ever having queso as a dip back then either.

In Lake Charles, it was 'Kway-soe'

Drove me fucking nuts.  Even when the stores would be asking for it.  "You make 6 figures+, and you sound like a maroon..."

I celebrate all sausage rolls( no homo,) pigs-in-a-blanket, and klobasnikys.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:12 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I grew up near El Campo, and we did our grocery shopping there because it was the closest HEB.  My wife’s family still lives there.  Man when they started labeling stuff in Spanish, the locals had a fit.  Which I found humorous, because you’re living in El Campo.  

If you ever ate any baked goods from HEB, most likely my grandma baked.  She worked there over 20 years as a baker.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, Dangit said:

Actual linguistic explanation from a Czech speaker (I’m non-native”).

A “kolatch” (koláč) is singular. Just one. Kolache (koláče) with the e added is plural. Kolaches with an “s” is gringofied and basically a double plural. 

Also, Czechs in Bohemia or Moravians in Moravia are basically clueless as to making one with a sausage inside it, I’ve lived in the region 3.5 years and have never see one although I hear sometimes people make them at Christmas time. Prune, cottage cheese, poppyseed are most common, sometimes apricot or berries. Asking the Czech about it, they say that a sausage ones sounds good. So might as well call it a klobasnik, it was invented by Czech in Texas anyway and are good AF. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 7:23 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

A “kolatch” (koláč) is singular. Just one. Kolache (koláče) with the e added is plural. Kolaches with an “s” is gringofied and basically a double plural. 

Also, Czechs in Bohemia or Moravians in Moravia are basically clueless as to making one with a sausage inside it, I’ve lived in the region 3.5 years and have never see one although I hear sometimes people make them at Christmas time. Prune, cottage cheese, poppyseed are most common, sometimes apricot or berries. Asking the Czech about it, they say that a sausage ones sounds good. So might as well call it a klobasnik, it was invented by Czech in Texas anyway and are good AF. 

Gwadaloop is singular for the drag and Gwadaloopee is plural for drag rats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I grew up eating mainly prune kolache baked by Czech women in western Fort Bend County. It’s still my favorite. My family thinks I’m crazy.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:57 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

From houston:

290 to austin - weikels

10 to 71 to austin - hruskas

10 to SA - praseks

Weikels has a location in Brenham of course, and in Carmine just a little bit further down 290.  Praseks home location just outside El Campo in Hillje on 59.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:57 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

From houston:

290 to austin - weikels

10 to 71 to austin - hruskas

10 to SA - praseks

I’ll ride with my decision to go to Chappell Hill over Weikel’s while passing through Brenham.

Original Kountry Bakery in Schulenberg is a good option on 10 on the way to San Antonio. RIP Frank’s.