Klobasniky's

Orange&White

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2018 at 11:46 AM, kevwun said:

He's talking about Lukas Bakery.  It's not as easy to get to as Hruska's or Weikel's because it is located on the square in La Grange.  It's mainly frequented by locals.  Their pig in the blankets are made differently.  The dough they use is less roll like and a little more chewy.  I like them a lot more than Weikel's but not as much as Hruska's because they aren't as flavorful.

This intrigues me. 

Original Kountry Bakery in Schulenberg is pretty solid if you’re driving from Houston to San Antonio or San Marcos. It’s down the street from where Frank’s Restaraunt once stood. 

The best “pig in a blanket” in Houston is River Oaks Donuts. They use sausage from Prasek’s.The jalapeño-cheese sausage is better than many Czech bakeries in the Hill Country. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 9:38 AM, 1978horn said:

Dos Gatos in San Marocs has some great Kolaches as well, both fruit and meat Kolaches ...I don't care what they are called because they are good.

Pretty good spot. I believe they use a pan sausage, and they’re not super doughy. That’s a winner in my book. 

I always order the same thing when I try a new Czech Bakery. A cream cheese kolache and jalapeño-cheese pig in a blanket. If they can’t make those right, it’s going to downhill from there. 

5 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I need a Dallas rec for these. This place is a wasteland of disgusting, shiny, Eckrich sausage filled nonsense on every corner. 

It’s been some years, but the Kolache Depot in Ennis was solid. 

It seems like most of the bad reviews are from people that ordered the ham and cheese pockets. These people are idiots. 

7 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Hruska’s is always great.  That said, I really like the style that they offer at places in West with the ground smoked sausage.  

Hruska’s beats the pants off of Weikel’s. When people say Weikel’s is better, I stop listening and nod politely. 

Czech Stop is great. I don’t get the disdain upthread. I worked in Dallas with a Czech Aggy that would stop in West on the drive home after every game in College Station. Win or lose, hopefully lose,  I was happy to see her Monday morning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Original Kountry Bakery in Schulenberg is pretty solid if you’re driving from Houston to San Antonio or San Marcos. It’s down the street from where Frank’s Restaraunt once stood.

stopped there several years ago on our way to NB for a birthday/mead fest.  slams and goes hard in the paint.

Hruska’s beats the pants off of Weikel’s. When people say Weikel’s is better, I stop listening and nod politely. 
Czech Stop is great. I don’t get the disdain upthread. I worked in Dallas with a Czech Aggy that would stop in West on the drive home after every game in College Station. Win or lose, hopefully lose,  I was happy to see her Monday morning. 

Weikel’s pigs in a blanket are inferior to Hruska’s pigs in a blanket. But Weikel’s kolaches are better than Hruska’s kolaches.

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The issue at Czech Stop is parking.  Slovacek’s has better parking, but gets really crowded, but has really good ground sausage.  Village Bakery downtown is also good.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

The issue at Czech Stop is parking.  Slovacek’s has better parking, but gets really crowded, but has really good ground sausage.  Village Bakery downtown is also good.

Czech Stop has that huge lot just south of the actual store. I never park in front of the place. 

What's the place in town, maybe it's Village Bakery, that puts diced sausage inside? That was different, but pretty good. 

I think this a pretty good list: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopencountry.com/10-best-places-get-incredible-texas-kolaches/amp/

I’d probably drop Weikel’s. 

I really have no reason to ever go to Clute, or Danbury, but who knows? Chappell Hill and Rosenberg are both easy drives from Houston. 

12 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don't think Weikel's pigs are very good.  It's a lil smoky inside a sweet roll.  The places that put real sausage inside of their pigs are much better.

Are you sure you are thinking of the right place, I've never had a Weikel's with a little smokey in it in my 48 years of life. It's always a full, dense, piece of real sausage.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think this a pretty good list: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopencountry.com/10-best-places-get-incredible-texas-kolaches/amp/

I’d probably drop Weikel’s. 

I really have no reason to ever go to Clute, or Danbury, but who knows? Chappell Hill and Rosenberg are both easy drives from Houston. 

Prasek's opened another Buccee's style store in Sealy as well. Stop there every time I come back to Houston from San Antonio.

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s been some years, but the Kolache Depot in Ennis was solid. 

It seems like most of the bad reviews are from people that ordered the ham and cheese pockets. These people are idiots. 

I just found out Hypnotic donuts uses Rudolph's homemade sausage for their kolaches. I'm gonna try those out this weekend and report the findings. 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:57 AM, huge said:

So what should I call these sweet bastards?

Pillsbury buttery croissant dough with jalapeño cheddar heat and serve sausage.

Besides delicious...

1e18e255faeb212addfa17112f7af9a9.jpg

pillsbury used to make a cornbread crescent roll and that wrapped around a little smokey was the tits

edit: it's back!: https://www.pillsbury.com/products/cornbread

Edited by elfenix

On 9/18/2018 at 2:58 PM, Deej said:

The Kolache Shoppe on Burnet used to make some thing that looked like a small cinnamon roll, but instead of cinnamon, they rolled up crumbled bacon into it. Genius.

Those were the shit.  They also briefly made one with knackwurst that was amazing but they stopped because no one bought them.  Ignorant fucks.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:06 PM, TornACL said:

Czech Stop has that huge lot just south of the actual store. I never park in front of the place. 

What's the place in town, maybe it's Village Bakery, that puts diced sausage inside? That was different, but pretty good. 

Village Bakery closed....about a year ago I think. The woman that owned it passed away. Someone may have taken over it but it didn't seem like that was going to be the case. VB was our favorite spot in West. Could exit, drive into town get your kolache and get out before you'd get halfway through the Czech Stop line. They did have fewer varieties but had what was needed and everything was labeled (kolache/klobasniky) correctly.....I'm sure they read this site and wanted to prevent surliness. 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:57 AM, huge said:

So what should I call these sweet bastards?

Pillsbury buttery croissant dough with jalapeño cheddar heat and serve sausage.

Besides delicious...

1e18e255faeb212addfa17112f7af9a9.jpg

Put that crescent roll dough around a couple tablespoons of boudin, then you’re talking, Boudin Wellington.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 8/27/2020 at 12:29 PM, Dangit said:

Village Bakery closed....about a year ago I think. The woman that owned it passed away. Someone may have taken over it but it didn't seem like that was going to be the case. VB was our favorite spot in West. Could exit, drive into town get your kolache and get out before you'd get halfway through the Czech Stop line. They did have fewer varieties but had what was needed and everything was labeled (kolache/klobasniky) correctly.....I'm sure they read this site and wanted to prevent surliness. 

This is why i bumped this thread but neglected to follow through:

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/village-bakery-proprietor-remembered-for-more-than-abundant-kolaches/article_e49b8796-4e13-50fe-b333-3741939f5411.html

This is a terrible loss.  Village Bakery was far superior to Slovacek's or Czech Stop.  So a week ago today I stopped in at Gerik's:

A jabillion varieties, and obviously the place the locals go to.  I would need a blind taste-test against the Czech Stop and Slovacek's to render judgement.

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

This is why i bumped this thread but neglected to follow through:

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/village-bakery-proprietor-remembered-for-more-than-abundant-kolaches/article_e49b8796-4e13-50fe-b333-3741939f5411.html

This is a terrible loss.  Village Bakery was far superior to Slovacek's or Czech Stop.  So a week ago today I stopped in at Gerik's:

A jabillion varieties, and obviously the place the locals go to.  I would need a blind taste-test against the Czech Stop and Slovacek's to render judgement.

Czech stop is better than Slovacek's IMO. The dough is a bit more pillowy (is that a word?). Both are good though. 

• Like 1