Surly Life Hacker

BNB

I thought this would be a good topic...  I'll just name a few for now.  What do you have?

Bananas - peel it from the bottom (I just found out about this a few years ago)

Strawberrys - use a straw (just now found this out after 45 years)

Car Detailing - Always use Groupon to save 50% off. 

If you have an older car with hazy headlights, use toothpaste and a rag.

Edited by BNB

On 8/31/2018 at 9:23 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Make a habit of sitting at the bar in restaurants. Not only will you jump past the crowds, but you will dodge getting the fumbling rookie waiter. Best thing is that drink service should be nigh-telepathically instantaneous.

Agree with this, but sometimes the barkeep sucks worse than the waitstaff.

• Like 1

^^^^

When you sit at that bar, ask the barkeep if he/she will be working there the rest of the night.  If so, hand him/her a $20, tell 'em that's for him/her before you even close out and tip em again at the end of the night, I appreciate you taking good care of me.  Your drinks will be strong.  If you order oysters, you'll get 16 instead of 12.  If they have an order of nachos get stranded in the window, they'll give them to you.  And if you do this before a ladyfriend arrives, she'll see all this and think you're big time.

• Like 4

YouTube is your friend.

My pops was a great father but never a handy guy, so I never learned how to do simple (and cheap) things around the house. I used YouTube to learn how to change the oil on my car, maintain small engines (lawn equipment), and do small repairs/renos around the casa.

• Like 1

YouTube is your friend.

My pops was a great father but never a handy guy, so I never learned how to do simple (and cheap) things around the house. I used YouTube to learn how to change the oil on my car, maintain small engines (lawn equipment), and do small repairs/renos around the casa.

Yep. YouTube helped me save $800 replacing HID bulbs on my cadillac and several hundred replacing my beer fridge as it kept tripping the GFCI system due to a bad defroster element.
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, Spur08 said:

YouTube is your friend.

My wife fixed the ice maker in our fridge while I watched the Tulsa game. All I had to do was yank a few tubes out and let the water drip into a bucket. It was glorious. I had on the rocks whisky for the 2nd half of the game, where it was needed the most.

• Like 1

Make a habit of sitting at the bar in restaurants. Not only will you jump past the crowds, but you will dodge getting the fumbling rookie waiter. Best thing is that drink service should be nigh-telepathically instantaneous.
To piggyback, volunteer to go get dinner for the fam and bring it back home. Sit at said bar, have a drink (maybe two), THEN order dinner and another drink (or two). THEN close out tab w one more drink before the food comes and scadaddle. Bam, you get drunk and are the family hero.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons.    Use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to scoop coffee instead of a tablespoon.

I gave up on measuring coffee years ago, I act as a chef doing it now.  I know the fill point and just dump it in until it seems like it is about that.  But I know some have to have it exact.

On 9/12/2018 at 5:07 PM, Spur08 said:
On 8/31/2018 at 10:23 PM, RDCanecutter said:

To piggyback, volunteer to go get dinner for the fam and bring it back home. Sit at said bar, have a drink (maybe two), THEN order dinner and another drink (or two). THEN close out tab w one more drink before the food comes and scadaddle. Bam, you get drunk and are the family hero.

I used to do this on a weekly basis. It's also nice to have that little bit of break between work and being home

On 8/31/2018 at 7:02 PM, Bill Clay said:

If you lose your phone charger, visit the front desk of the nearest hotel. Tell them you stayed there recently and left yours in your room. They will pull out a basket of 100 different ones for you to chose from.

If you need sunglasses in a SoCal beach town, go to a nice waterfront restaurant with an outdoor patio, and tell them you had drinks there last night and left your shades on the table.  They will bring out a huge box of sunglasses.  Pick out the best ones and say "that's them...thanks". 

• Like 1