Three cool old photos of the Cotton Bowl

Hornius Emeritus

8 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Cotton Bowl, 1930:

i-H8T2dXF.jpg

This is fucking beautiful. 

A stadium where you walk up a hill to get to your section, and then walk down the stairs to get to your seat. 
I guess you can't do that now that everything requires luxury boxes.

I think there are still a few high school stadiums like this -- Sweetwater is the one that comes to mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Pretty neat slice of Texas history. Try to view on a large computer monitor because the details are wonderful.

Cotton Bowl, 1930:

i-H8T2dXF.jpg

Texas vs. Vanderbilt on Oct. 20, 1923 in the old Fair Park Stadium, which was right next to where the Cotton Bowl is now. The Cotton Bowl was built in 1929-1930, though it wasn't named the Cotton Bowl until 1936.

i-Wp9vdCT.jpg

Both stadiums together in 1930. The Cotton Bowl has just been built. You can see the old Fair Park Stadium at about 5:00 o'clock on the bottom right side of the Cotton Bowl. I apologize for how blurry this is but I had to enlarge it quite a bit and it wasn't the sharpest photo to begin with.

i-Lf3sWL5.jpg

Very cool....one side note...not sure who won that game but Vandy has the best record against Texas of all SEC schools.

Edited by Artie Fatso

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

A stadium where you walk up a hill to get to your section, and then walk down the stairs to get to your seat. 

I think there are still a few high school stadiums like this -- Sweetwater is the one that comes to mind.

Yeah, several in the DFW area.  I think Homer Johnson in the Land O Gar is the first one I encountered.  I think Mesquite's is that way too.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Bowers Stadium (SHSU's stadium) is built like this.

https://texasbob.com/stadium/region_index.php?region=4

You're right on the Garland one, and I think that's one I kind of remembered from high school. 

The Mesquite stadium looks like one where the lower deck is below ground and the upper deck is built above.  Those are pretty common.

Grand Prairie Gopher Bowl is another one: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7552834,-97.003354,3a,60y,111.86h,98.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4_Z9XyPcMSo-Idmps9m7VA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Yale still has it's stadium similarly built into a hill:
92e71e7f9624675aef9bdc18eb3232dd.jpg

• Like 1