Orwells disband after Reddit etc allege sex crimes

Bartles

I thought these guys did an amazing live show and were really talented musicians. I happened to talk with a band member's relative beforehand, and he mentioned the lead singer was kind of out of control and thought of himself as a Jim Morrison type. Now recently a number of women have alleged he and other members of the group engaged in various sex crimes in addition to generally being assholes. Sounds like much of the Chicago music community wasn't wild about them either. They announced on Twitter on Aug 29 they are disbanding, and canceled their fall tour.

Twitter doc compiles allegations

I think they did, at least as a successful indie touring act. "Let it Burn" is another good one. Live show was really high energy, too. Like Deej said, I could totally see this behavior from all kinds of performers going unpunished. But with social media and MeToo, these guys are finished.

I'm not about to defend anyone who even gets close to the line regarding sexual assault, but there is a weird other-world out there when it comes to touring bands and locals and drugs and alcohol and "we're leaving town in the morning".  I think some shit happens that is more or less consensual in that of-the-moment context, but in the sober light of day things start to look different.  Not to excuse any particular behavior or anything, but just think of how many times you got fucked up (say) in college and ended up with some random chick, and now amplify that with minor celebrity status. 

Ultimately, I mostly just admire those guys I know who have a strict "nope, I'm headed back to the hotel and I'm going to bed" approach.