College Football Imperialism Map

AeroHorn

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Transitive property is so weird. Texas lost to Maryland, who lost to Temple, who lost to Villanova, who lost to something called Towson. Is Towson on the map?

Temple started the season losing its section of philly to nova. Nova then lost all of philly and southern jersey to Towson, who still controls it.

I'm not understanding the point of this.  Once all your future opponents have at least 1 loss, you have no ability to be imperial anymore.  You go back to our 2009 season and we picked up more of Texas, then some stuff in the midwest and eastern Louisiana early in the season and that was the end of it, no further chance to expand even as you continue to win.  Fuck that.

1 minute ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm not understanding the point of this.  Once all your future opponents have at least 1 loss, you have no ability to be imperial anymore.  You go back to our 2009 season and we picked up more of Texas, then some stuff in the midwest and eastern Louisiana early in the season and that was the end of it, no further chance to expand even as you continue to win.  Fuck that.

that is incorrect.

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

that is incorrect.

I was hoping to see whole regions of the country start changing colors from week to week and it wasn't happening.  I had a disappoint.  Then the website crashed on week 9 of the 2009 season and I came here to bitch about it not being as cool as I wanted it to be.

But ok, yeah, you could gain some territory if you beat a team that has been undefeated since they beat an undefeated opponent,  but 6 weeks into a season, the chances that you are going to play either an undefeated team or a team that has just beaten an undefeated team are pretty low because there just aren't very many of those left anymore.

17 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I was hoping to see whole regions of the country start changing colors from week to week and it wasn't happening.  I had a disappoint.  Then the website crashed on week 9 of the 2009 season and I came here to bitch about it not being as cool as I wanted it to be.

But ok, yeah, you could gain some territory if you beat a team that has been undefeated since they beat an undefeated opponent,  but 6 weeks into a season, the chances that you are going to play either an undefeated team or a team that has just beaten an undefeated team are pretty low because there just aren't very many of those left anymore.

pretty sure that happened to us at the end of last year with either WVU or maybe Mizzou.

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The concept is fun, but it does disappoint. You start and end with large swaths of land controlled by nobodies, and little chance to take land once it moves to another conference. 

There's also a clear distinction in tract size on either side of the Mississippi.  So it doesn't balance visually

46 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This shitty looking map makes me want to vomit.  Just FYI.

I didn't make the map... 

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Any thread with a map is like a bat signal for koppeee, and he comes toting his own garbage.

Here is the site it originated: landgrantgauntlet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Where-2017-Big-12-Recruits-Came-From.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Football map- Mike L. and P.J. aren't doing too bad for themselves.

Brand map- Starbucks, Nike, and Apple on the west coast- pretty good chunk of change right there...

Fuck that.  Give me the holy trinity of Dr. Pepper, Allsup's burritos, and Sonic, and I'm fucking set.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The website I linked in OP is not active. The guy who started it last year on Reddit has moved to SBNation and is posting weekly updates there and on Reddit

Yes, it is hard to scheme to grab land, because most of it is out of your control, from the size of it to whether your opponent has any of it when you play them. TCU lost to tOSU and has no land for us to gain, but they can get ours.

The only thing I can think of for maximizing land is to be the first tough team your opponent plays. Let's see our schedule with this in mind.

1. Maryland: Hmm, let's move on.

2. Tulsa: We were their first tough opponent. We got their land.

3. USC: Stanford was there earlier to take it away

4. TCU: tOSU took it away

5. KSU: MSU took it away and if they beat WVU (very unlikely), then we'll have the opportunity to take it from them. So, not much of a chance

6. OU: They will come in undefeated and we'll have a chance to add to our tornado alley, and Hawaii! (from Army from Hawaii). They didn't/don't get anything from UCLA, ISU and Baylor because they lost prior to playing them.

7. Baylor: Nothing to gain

8. OSU: They could be undefeated when we meet them with TTU this weekend as their main competition. We can gain their land and Houston from TTU, but no west Texas because TTU lost to Ole Miss, which was brutally robbed by Alabama.

9. WVU is ideally setup for us in terms of imperialism, they play all winnable games till the 9th game against us, with 3 difficult ones to close the season (TCU, OSU, OU). Not much to gain besides WVU because of intra-conference fighting.

10. TTU: Not much to gain.

11. ISU: Ditto

12: KU: We go 8-0 in conference and give it all away to Kansas! 

So, best case scenario, some Big 12 land; worst case scenario, Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

The map maker also has continuation map from last season as if 2018 is continuation of 2017 season. This is lot more biased towards long winning streaks and hence cleaner.

20_Week_3.png

• Like 1

How is Duke over Colorado..? I would think that should that be over Baylor turf...

Baylor didn’t have any land to lose last week.

Duke has that part of Colorado because they beat Northwestern this year, who came into this year with that land from beating Michigan last year who took that land when they beat Air Force.

45 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Anyone have a link to how this is supposed To work?

Year starts with a school owning the county they are in and for which they are the closest school.

When you beat a team, you take all their land.  Updates weekly.

12 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

The map maker also has continuation map from last season as if 2018 is continuation of 2017 season. This is lot more biased towards long winning streaks and hence cleaner.

If it continued every year it would eventually merge with the college football title belt concept, right? And unfortunately right now Penn State holds the belt after destroying Pittsburgh for it.

20 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Baylor didn’t have any land to lose last week.

Duke has that part of Colorado because they beat Northwestern this year, who came into this year with that land from beating Michigan last year who took that land when they beat Air Force.

Thanks, at least now I can say I am hip to how "imperialism" actually works, if I ever visit of foreign nation to the far east... 

On 9/18/2018 at 8:18 PM, AeroHorn said:

The website I linked in OP is not active. The guy who started it last year on Reddit has moved to SBNation and is posting weekly updates there and on Reddit

Yes, it is hard to scheme to grab land, because most of it is out of your control, from the size of it to whether your opponent has any of it when you play them. TCU lost to tOSU and has no land for us to gain, but they can get ours.

The only thing I can think of for maximizing land is to be the first tough team your opponent plays. Let's see our schedule with this in mind.

1. Maryland: Hmm, let's move on.

2. Tulsa: We were their first tough opponent. We got their land.

3. USC: Stanford was there earlier to take it away

4. TCU: tOSU took it away

5. KSU: MSU took it away and if they beat WVU (very unlikely), then we'll have the opportunity to take it from them. So, not much of a chance

6. OU: They will come in undefeated and we'll have a chance to add to our tornado alley, and Hawaii! (from Army from Hawaii). They didn't/don't get anything from UCLA, ISU and Baylor because they lost prior to playing them.

7. Baylor: Nothing to gain

8. OSU: They could be undefeated when we meet them with TTU this weekend as their main competition. We can gain their land and Houston from TTU, but no west Texas because TTU lost to Ole Miss, which was brutally robbed by Alabama.

9. WVU is ideally setup for us in terms of imperialism, they play all winnable games till the 9th game against us, with 3 difficult ones to close the season (TCU, OSU, OU). Not much to gain besides WVU because of intra-conference fighting.

10. TTU: Not much to gain.

11. ISU: Ditto

12: KU: We go 8-0 in conference and give it all away to Kansas! 

So, best case scenario, some Big 12 land; worst case scenario, Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

20_Week_3.png

From the week 3 map, a person could assume the 4 teams of the CFP last year were: Alabama/ Ohio State/ Penn State/ USF...