2018 game 1 thread :: Texas @ Maryland :: Exiting the Wilderness

Hagbard Celine

7 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

This! I’ve said several times today that I just didn’t see any flash outside of a couple of plays. I know there are dudes on this team with serious athleticism, but whatever we’ve been doing doesn’t allow it flourish. Shit we can’t even get it to sprout.

That’s because our genius coaches split out Kyle fucking Porter and Andrew Beck out wide instead of wide receivers. 

Add on a nice slow tempo with no urgency and inaccurate passing and voila.  

It was just so painfully obvious that once we started to run Watson and Ingram and play with tempo that things started to open up. So what do we do? We completely abandon both. Fuck Tom Herman’s offense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

It’s really just about the 3 hours on Saturdays, and whether it’s fair to the baby to allow that frustration into the house.  I probably already know the answer, I just don’t know how to not turn the TV on when it’s game time. I’ve told myself I would before but it doesn’t work. Anybody have success with that? 

Its actually funnier on Surly when the team sucks. WTF can Bama fans even talk about in their game threads? Oh Tua with another 65 yard TD to our 3rd string5* WR? Oh the defense with NFL 1st round picks up and down the line forced a Lamar Jacksonless Louisville team to another 3 and out? how boring is that?

I find it more soothing that if its too much to handle, turn it to another game for a few minutes, count to 10, realign your chi and go back to the Texas game. We know whats going to happen, and theres nothing they do about it to fix it.

With a little one coming, you  might be best to step away. Youll be sleep deprived, say stupid shit because Texas sucks and your wife will feed off of that while your baby cries from the yelling since nobody is cleaning out its sudden blow out from the diapers thats running down its back

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Haha 1

I just don’t get it. Why do all of our plays look so slow developing? Not just the running plays, but even the “quick” screens look slow. I hate the way our zone-read run plays look. Hold the ball out for a couple of seconds, then give it to the RB, and immediately be met by a wall of defenders. And it’s looked that way under Strong and Herman. Just nothing about our offense seems aggressive or urgent. 

5 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

I just don’t get it. Why do all of our plays look so slow developing? Not just the running plays, but even the “quick” screens look slow. I hate the way our zone-read run plays look. Hold the ball out for a couple of seconds, then give it to the RB, and immediately be met by a wall of defenders. And it’s looked that way under Strong and Herman. Just nothing about our offense seems aggressive or urgent. 

football is about deception and misdirection. UT has none. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

We should have played a division 2 team like you fucking rubes. One championship in the 1930s, stupid bitch. 

I'm not a fucking Aggy dumbass.  If thinking the LHN gave us bad karmic juju makes me a heretic then so be it. 

I see there's still a lot of neg repping pearl clutchers who LOVE the LHN and watching reruns of the Mack years

Edited by Tracer Bullet
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

It’s really just about the 3 hours on Saturdays, and whether it’s fair to the baby to allow that frustration into the house.  I probably already know the answer, I just don’t know how to not turn the TV on when it’s game time. I’ve told myself I would before but it doesn’t work. Anybody have success with that? 

Just go somewhere else.  If you have to watch go to a sports bar.  If you don't have to watch, drive somewhere, go for a hike or ride, then drive home.  Your wife can handle the kid for a couple of hours.  

We aren't going to be any good this year so if you avoid Longhorn football you won't be missing much.

• Like 1

Grade A, low IQ football.

I was hoping they had finally turned the corner this season; maybe they will.  There were a couple of really good plays...but dozens of really bad, shitty plays.  I think my favorite was when the two defensive backs ran into each other and handed the freshman terp the td.  I believe that was the play after our DB was hit in the face with the football and dropped a sure INT.

What a shit show.

You guys keep saying "another 7-5" season.  Where in the world are you seeing 7 wins on our schedule based on yesterday?  Or wait, is this another, "We'll fix it" scenario?  

2 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Maybe the defenses are just playing fast bc I honestly feel like opposing defenses do not respect our passing game. We also lack an explosive playmaker like Ramonce or Charles or RONDALE MOORE to keep defenses honest. 

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

That’s because our genius coaches split out Kyle fucking Porter and Andrew Beck out wide instead of wide receivers. 

Add on a nice slow tempo with no urgency and inaccurate passing and voila.  

It was just so painfully obvious that once we started to run Watson and Ingram and play with tempo that things started to open up. So what do we do? We completely abandon both. Fuck Tom Herman’s offense.

According to Tom,  defensive formation is all that's needed to shut down our most potent weapons.  

My first kid was born during the bye week before the Thanksgiving game - a full week early. My 2nd kid was born just after Signing Day - a full week late. Great timing for both.

But I don't get so pissed off watching the games that I need to worry about the kids picking up on it. Usually it's just a depressing form of fatalism that I internalize.

And I agree about kids devaluing the importance of watching the games live. You don't really care that you missed being shut out by Iowa State because you took your kid Trick-or-Treating, even if you didn't find out until you got home.

You guys keep saying "another 7-5" season.  Where in the world are you seeing 7 wins on our schedule based on yesterday?  Or wait, is this another, "We'll fix it" scenario?  
What was your opinion after last year's HOME loss to Maryland? What was our record after that? That's what we'll probably do again.

It’s entertainment — I used to live and die by it too but if it’s not making me happy no reason to be beholden to it. I’ll tune in to most games and plan around them somewhat but give $10k in tickets, donations and apparel? Nah. Let it ruin my mood? Hell no. Fuck that noise.