Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if Tom ignored direct orders from cdc on how the team was to engage regarding the eot, AND as a direct result of that decision the AD was losing $ from donors, that's a more material issue.

The "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and I don't like it" argument is much more eye-roll inducing than the "I told you to have your team stay for the song and you ignored me and as a direct result a bmd is threatening to pull a substantial donation" argument.

Re:  Timeline of CDC's  instructions to coaches

The VB team left the court on 1 Oct without singing  The Eyes or acknowledging the crowd.   On 8 Oct (2 days prior to OU) they stayed for The Eyes. 

Following the match, UT’s players stood in a line and put their Horns up during the postgame playing of “The Eyes of Texas.” The Longhorns wore face masks and did not appear to be singing along. After last week’s matches against Kansas, the athletes huddled together and did not acknowledge the song.

https://www.hookem.com/story/20201008/texas-earns-another-sweeps-austin-molly-phillips-settles-new-home-court/

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Keef said:

I don't think his contract is in the public domain, but termination for "cause" definitions (assuming Tom had halfway decent representation) are generally drafted pretty narrowly if the employee has any leverage at all.  Tom had a ton of leverage.  Plus, I don't think anyone wants a public spat over whether the termination is for "cause" or not.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why wouldn't his contract be subject to FOI?  I know got a copy of Mack's that way back in the day.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It probably should be.

Texas Tribune has the executed version of his original employment contract.  I tried but couldn't find a copy of the extension, but the original contract language should still be helpful.  https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/6848d600da55db1efc9d299a0d4f9d76/Herman_contract.pdf

C. Specific Duties and Responsibilities. In addition to the general duties and responsibilities set out above, the duties and responsibilities assigned to Coach in connection with the Program are set forth below. Coach’s job duties and responsibilities may be reviewed and revised from time to time by the Men’s Athletics Director, provided such duties are reasonable and consistent with duties typical of an intercollegiate head football coach who coaches at an NCAA Division I program. The list of specific duties and responsibilities supplements, and is not exclusive of, other general duties and responsibilities provided for elsewhere in this Agreement. The specific responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:

Spoiler

(1) Coach will be responsible for customary coaching decisions including, without limitation, the systems and strategies used on the field (both in practice and actual game play), conduct of practice and training, selection of team members, position, assignment of players, and all other matters relating to the preparation, practice for, and playing of games.

(2) Coach will comply with the academic policies established by the University, the Big 12, and the NCAA. Coach shall maintain an environment in which the pursuit of higher education is a priority as reflected by class attendance, the NCAA academic progress rates (APR), and the NCAA and federal graduation rates.

(3) Coach will ensure that he and his staff and assistant coaches recruit student-athletes who are likely to meet the University and NCAA’s academic requirements.

(4) Coach will work to integrate the student-athletes and team into the whole spectrum of academic life so as to complement the University and its mission.

(5) Coach will oversee all aspects of prospective student-athlete recruiting, including recruiting contacts, evaluations, official and unofficial visits, telephone calls and other communications, and any travel-related activities of prospective student athletes and the Program’s coaching staff.

(6) Coach agrees to cooperate in the scheduling of games for the Program and agrees that the authority for and final decisions on such scheduling are with the Men’s Athletics Director, in consideration of the overall needs of University Athletics.

(7) Coach shall maintain and enforce conduct (both on and off the field), and disciplinary rules and sanctions, fairly and uniformly for all student-athletes in the Program so as to ensure academic and moral integrity while encouraging excellence.

(8) Coach shall adhere to the University’s Athletics department policies and procedures.

(9) Coach has authority and responsibility to make decisions as to the hiring, continued employment, job titles, compensation, and discharge of assistant coaches and all other personnel employed exclusively for the Program. All such decisions will be subject to the prior approval of the Men’s Athletics Director and in accordance with University policies and procedures.

(10) Coach agrees to conduct annual performance evaluations for all assistant coaches and other employees who report to Coach to ensure that such assistant coaches and other employees meet performance expectations and comply at all times with all Governing Athletics Rules and University Rules.

(11) The employees referred to directly above in (9) and (10) will report directly to and be supervised by Coach.

(12) LLC shall cause Coach to cooperate fully with the University in promoting the Program, the Longhorn Foundation, all other fundraising, outreach, and related activities of the University as directed by the Men’s Athletics Director. This includes, but is not limited to: (a) attendance and participation at meetings, events, and media outlets of the University, the Longhorn Network, and other University-affiliated organizations; (b) endorsement of products and performance of promotional services; and (c) personal appearances, in each case as directed by the Men’s Athletics Director, all of which shall be subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Professional Services and License Agreement between University and LLC.

(13) For the period that Coach is the Head Football Coach at the University, LLC will cause Coach to assist in the production of and to appear on any radio or television show that features the Program, including, but not limited to, any weekly radio and television shows, as directed by the Men’s Athletics Director, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Professional Services and License Agreement between University and LLC.

(14) Coach will work with the University and use reasonable best efforts to raise funds to help fund the Program. During the Term of this Agreement, LLC shall allow Coach’s name, likeness, and biographical sketch to be used by the University for fundraising and for any other reasonable purpose that supports the Program or the University, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Professional Services and License Agreement between University and LLC.

(15) Coach will be required to perform such services in connection with University sports camps and clinics as may be assigned by the Men’s Athletics Director. Coach may not participate in sports camps or clinics that are not approved by the Men’s Athletics Director. Coach understands that assistant coaches on his staff also will be required to perform services in connection with University sports camps and clinics and that they also may not participate in sports camps and clinics that are not approved by the Men’s Athletics Director.

(16) Coach recognizes that his statements about the University and its administrators are often publicized and he agrees to use his best efforts to keep positive and constructive in tone any public comments he makes about University policies or actions taken by senior administrators.

(17) The University enters into agreements with various manufacturers and distributors to provide athletic equipment, supplies, and accessories (“Products”) for the University’s Intercollegiate Athletics departments and programs. In accordance with the terms of such agreements, and subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Professional Services and License Agreement between University and LLC, LLC will cause Coach to participate in promotional activities and will sublicense exclusively the use of Coach’s name, image, and likeness for commercial exploitation by University to endorse those Products that are provided for use in the Program. Coach, the assistant coaches, student-athletes, and other personnel of the Program will be required to use the EXECUTION VERSION 5 Products in practice, games, and at public appearances in accordance with the terms of any such agreements.

(18) Coach will be a Campus Security Authority (“CSA”) as defined by the Clery Act. As a CSA, Coach will comply with University policies on the reporting of crime statistics and related information to the official designated by the University for the purposes of Clery Act reporting. (19) In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Coach will be a Responsible Employee as defined by University policies on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct. As a Responsible Employee, Coach will report incidents of sexual misconduct (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) and other inappropriate sexual conduct to the University’s Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate designee as required by University policy. (20) Coach shall also perform such other duties and responsibilities that are consistent with his position as may be assigned from time-to-time by the Men’s Athletics D

Edited by someguy
forgot link
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Can anyone seriously give a scenario where this dumbass keeps his job? Aside from UT being UT..

Money. Universities are getting hit hard due to COVID. Spending $20m or whatever is a huge PR disaster when schools are retrenching professors and closing programs. 

I think a donor will have to be public to pay the buyout off.   

After reading about the player leadership stepping up in the Humidor, I am confident that in two weeks, the team will fix all the problems that have lingered for four years. 

-Player development 

-Teaching

-Scheming

-Game planning 

-In game adjustments 

-penalties 

-Pass offense 

-Run offense 

-Pass blocking 

-Run blocking

-Pass defense 

-Run defense 

-Tackling

-Special Teams 

Will all be addressed. We will win every game this season 52-10.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Xian said:

Who are the king of BMDs now?  Oil being low switch it up? 

id Imagine the Moodys are up there, who else? (Speaking of which, are the Moody’s considered Houston in the dfw vs Houston divide?)

Not sure of the king....  I think some key folks are:

• Kevin P. Eltife

• Bill Duvall

• R. Steven Hicks

@closetojumping will know

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Duval is a pompous prick. He and Montgomery don’t have a lot of influence. Bob Rowling and Jeff Hildebrand probably lead Dallas and Houston, respectively. Hicks brothers are still in the equation. Rowling, Hildebrand and Tom Hicks are more influential and always have been than any of the above mentioned. Steve is influential through his big brother’s connections. 

Is John Thomas Hildebrand still on the football team or did he drop or graduate?

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They’re not worried about you in the slightest. I used to give a lot more, ceased, and life goes on. If one of the big boys bails - they’re worried about that. 

This action, at least, makes me feel like I'm doing something tangible to register my dissatisfaction with Tom Herman and the UT football program.  I've already let the Moody School of Communications know how I feel and have snail mailed correspondence to Jay Hartzell, CDC, and the Texas Exes.  No dough until we see Tom go.  Even if you're not a BMD, if enough people follow suit, it can make some of the powers that be and previous recipients of donations less comfortable.  That's the plan.

Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The eyes debacle with Herman

the double birds on national television

the mocking of an opposing teams player on national tv

all seem to be data points that will be used to negotiate a much smaller buyout. 

i would have sympathy for all of that if the switchout of the coordinators had netted *anything*.

he's a fraud.  many of us, most of us, have been screwed at one time or another.  but the vast majority of this board has game in whatever we do.   we're not frauds.

therm is a fraud.

fuck him.

open season.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I continue to maintain the belief, but maybe it's just hope, that they've uncovered/will uncover far more substantial examples of wild misbehavior from this clown and, with that, they give him and Armstrong the choice of that laundry being aired in public or the buyout getting cut in half or into 1/3 of the current total. 

They don't need more yield.  They have enough, and when you dig deeper sometimes you find that which you did not seek.

All they need is 3 to 5 off the top and everyone saves face.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The problem is, though, that none of those are likely to rise to the level of a contract breach.  Insubordination is probably a specific contract term, while jackassery and losing games like a dipshit are not.

our legal eagles can chime in.... it's not the actual proof, just the insinuation, that drives the negotiation

Y’all folks think I’m redundant, but if I was the next HC at UT, I’d hire Gary Joseph (Katy HC) as a defensive assistant. He’s seen it all during the 20+ years of the “spread offense” that was basically created and used in TX HS football first!

His teams might be out matched athletically, but rarely are they out schemed or out of position, plus they know how to TACKLE!!!!

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas