Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Meyer has a career FBS coaching record of 187-32-0 between four stops with the Bowling Green Falcons, Utah Utes, Florida, and then Ohio State. This includes three National Championships.

This is a fucking coaching resume and a candidate you have to interview.

That’s mad good

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

What happens to this board if we hire Urban Meyer and go 7-5?

8-4 or 9-3 seem entirely probable in Urban’s first year as the roster cycles a bit and we still have no answers at multiple positions. Shit gets real in year two imoho. Texas is in better shape than when Tom found it, but not in better shape than Ohio State when Urban stepped in.

38 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Meyer has a career FBS coaching record of 187-32-0 between four stops with the Bowling Green Falcons, Utah Utes, Florida, and then Ohio State. This includes three National Championships.

Mensa would have to go 12-1 for the next 12 years to approach that record.  

Edited by Treefidy
At this point in UMs career he had already posted an undefeated season and he was in the middle of an MNC year.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

8-4 or 9-3 seem entirely probable in Urban’s first year as the roster cycles a bit and we still have no answers at multiple positions. Shit gets real in year two imoho. Texas is in better shape than when Tom found it, but not in better shape than Ohio State when Urban stepped in.

OL and LB will have to add some quality players immediately for a great Year 2 (2022)

17 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

If you hire Urban, you sleep easy because you know no one else could do better.

16 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

If you hire Urban, you sleep easy because you know no one else could do better.

Das Portal and zero eligibility penalty year combining  with Urban returning to a blue blood ought to bring forth a few candidates who won’t need to be built up from the high school ranks though I’m not opposed to loading up on those studs either.

* sorry, I was trying to reply to LTX above your post.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

no.  not fucking anything up.
just the 2 things are totally separate.
one does not equal the other.
most importantly, supposedly, the money is there for both.
Are they really totally separate? You're not hiring a new coach without firing the old couch.
I guess I'm failing to understand how these are possibly "totally separate."

5 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Are they really totally separate? You're not hiring a new coach without firing the old couch.

welp, if you did the first one, say, on tuesday, after say, a loss to baylor, then, it would give you more runway to make the other one happen, right?

and it would also freeze the recruiting situation in it's tracks, right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

This is brand new information!  Why hasn't anyone suggested Urban before now?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

welp, if you did the first one, say, on tuesday, after say, a loss to baylor, then, it would give you more runway to make the other one happen, right?

What the hell are you talking about. We are not firing Herman (midseason*) without having a REALLY good idea of who the next coach is. 

How much sense do either of these statements make:

"Hey so Urban said no and we don't have a plan B lined up but we're going to go ahead and fire Tom after the Baylor game"

"Hey Urban, we'd love for you to come coach but we need to see how Tom does against Baylor first"

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

So they aren’t separate things at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Maybe there is a Coach 1, but a feeling that Coach 2 and/or Coach 3 could also take us where we want to go, but might take a year or three longer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas