Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He and Babers are a good listen. 

Yeah, Babers is.    More salient points today about the state of the program except that he had to rip the scab off of wounds when stating that Brown sabotaged the hiring of Saban.  Not groundbreaking news, mind you, but to hear an ex / elite player of Brown's say that is balls. 

Herman is allergic to momentum and improvement year over year. Every year is year one. The fact that he said he was happy about the trajectory of the program means he may not understand what year over year improvement means. Going to the Big Championship and losing means to improve you go to it the next year and you win. Not skip a year and lose the game that gets you into the dance. I mean he’s kinda twisting in the wind right now and having to give these pressers so of course he’s going to try and spin shit to look better. But still...

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What was that Herman said about if there were more opt-outs they would have already happened?  IT is reporting that Caden Sterns is opting out for the rest of the season.  No idea if its for the draft or if he plans to come back next season.  Wonder if it depends on who is the coach.

Caden retweeted this Urban video Nov 14th...

Caden Sterns Retweeted

Caden may just be opting out for the remainder of 2020.

Edited by LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Herman is allergic to momentum and improvement year over year. Every year is year one. The fact that he said he was happy about the trajectory of the program means he may not understand what year over year improvement means. Going to the Big Championship and losing means to improve you go to it the next year and you win. Not skip a year and lose the game that gets you into the dance. I mean he’s kinda twisting in the wind right now and having to give these pressers so of course he’s going to try and spin shit to look better. But still...

Herman just trying to not screw up in next 2 weeks so he gets buyout money.  Mensa knows he's done at TEXAS...

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Funny reading that thread and hear them talk about the culture and institution here as negatives given their culture and institution. 

Baylor fans are sad sacks of shit. I knew a few KKGs who were there during the Art Briles rape saga. They said date rape drugs are the norm and to avoid athlete parties. Abuse went beyond football. Baseball and basketball full of predators. 

The campus is full of desperate virgins

19 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

How about naming things he's reported that indicated he's Tom's mouthpiece?Are we just talking about the OB report that blamed the EOT snafu more on CDC? 

This has been known for years lol, literally since Tom signed here. He feeds anwar and that EOT might as well be a copy paste from a Herman email

Edited by RGBIII

21 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

How about naming things he's reported that indicated he's Tom's mouthpiece?Are we just talking about the OB report that blamed the EOT snafu more on CDC? 

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This has been known for years lol, literally since Tom signed here. He feeds anwar and that EOT might as well be a copy paste from a Herman email

Or that rehearsed question last week about Meyer and how the rumors are hurting recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Have you read many posts here?

Someone here sure as shit believes it, just like many here on this very thread all but guaranteed Herman was not getting fired this year.

tldr: Yes, sadly they do.

Yeah I was really just expressing disbelief more than anything. And lol, yep.  It's pretty amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, the word was Matt Campbell's camp had agreed to the conceptual offer floated, provided Herman was shown the door. Nothing concrete, and nothing that couldn't have been total bullshit either. That info has since been referenced by guys like Nahlin and Burton, so I assume it's somewhat reliable if actual journalists/pseudo-journalists are alluding to it. 

Nonetheless, it's never like I'm in the room. We should all take anything floated during times like this with as many grains of salt as we may need, as nothing's real until there's ink. There are more ways to float bullshit with an agenda today than at any time in history.

All of this considered, I view the premise of letting Herman go about BAU at this point as idiocy. Either Meyer is taking the job or he isn't. If he is, he's got the deal he needs already. If he isn't, the next guy is competing with other guys and UT has more leverage. With any of those outcomes, Herman is still fired and therefore able to do less damage to the program. My only counter to any of that is that CDC seems pretty good at his job, and we cannot see the full picture, so this must be necessary and the right move. I can't handle the concept of another incompetent hire or Herman continuing relevance at UT beyond next week, so I'll go with optimism.

I’m clueless as to how the search would go, but I find it implausible that we would spend a truckload of $ to buyout Herman’s contract just to hire another mid-tier coach to replace him. You don’t spend Ferrari $ to drive a Toyota Corolla. If UM turns us down, I think it’s more likely that Herman coaches another year. There’s no one else worth spending the buyout $ for. It will get chalked up to COVID. 

Maybe I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m clueless as to how the search would go, but I find it implausible that we would spend a truckload of $ to buyout Herman’s contract just to hire another mid-tier coach to replace him. You don’t spend Ferrari $ to drive a Toyota Corolla. If UM turns us down, I think it’s more likely that Herman coaches another year. There’s no one else worth spending the buyout $ for. It will get chalked up to COVID. 

Maybe I’m wrong. 

And if that’s the case you just have to pray like you’ve never prayed to little 8 lb baby Jesus that something clicks in Mensa’s brain and we start actually winning games like we should. The alternative is many more years of wandering the desert.

59 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Just gonna throw this out there:

I wouldn't hate Jeff Traylor as our next coach.

Weirdo aggy's on the Roadrunner Board bringing this up like it's a real thing, and making it into a "Texas has a silver spoon and think they can get anyone, are elitist" conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

Weirdo aggy's on the Roadrunner Board bringing this up like it's a real thing, and making it into a "Texas has a silver spoon and think they can get anyone, are elitist" conversation. 

Yeah, the way this will work is CDC re-assigns THerman to UTSA and we bring Traylor in as an offensive analyst for our new coach. and the Roadrunner Board will down it willingly with their plastic sporks. SMH.

2 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Yeah, the way this will work is CDC re-assigns THerman to UTSA and we bring Traylor in as an offensive analyst for our new coach. and the Roadrunner Board will down it willingly with their plastic sporks. SMH.

Umm nope.  No thank you. 

42 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

It wouldn’t be for me. He knows offense and recruiting. He’s probably smart enough not to fuck with everything.

He hasn't even been in charge of an offense since Gilmer.  He's been a position coach in college, not a coordinator.  Now Herman should have definitely kept him instead of bringing in his "aligned" team from Houston plus Meh..... but he's 7-4 lifetime as a college head coach in Conference USA.  I like him as a coach, but underwhelming doesn't even begin to describe that hire if he's the pick. 
Chad Morris was a pretty good recruiter and offensive mind as well.  Maybe Traylor will be the next hire after Urban's health suffers again in 5 years.  I might be on board with it then.  

Watched Herman this afternoon on LHN and he looked beat up. Of course the guys asking questions wouldn’t let up on whether he was the right person for the job and whether his decisions on this play or that was good and would he have done a different direction and yada, yada. I kind of felt sorry for him because he looked worn down. But, I also wasn’t convinced that his talk with CDC was all he said it was. I think there’s more there and I feel he knows his job is on the line. I’m also surprised that Urban hasn’t said something to stop all the rumors. Maybe they really are true. 

38 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Watched Herman this afternoon on LHN and he looked beat up. Of course the guys asking questions wouldn’t let up on whether he was the right person for the job and whether his decisions on this play or that was good and would he have done a different direction and yada, yada. I kind of felt sorry for him because he looked worn down. But, I also wasn’t convinced that his talk with CDC was all he said it was. I think there’s more there and I feel he knows his job was on the line. I’m also surprised that Urban hasn’t said something to stop all the rumors. Maybe they really are true. 

FIFY

Just waiting on the axe to drop

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas