Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

48 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Watched Herman this afternoon on LHN and he looked beat up. Of course the guys asking questions wouldn’t let up on whether he was the right person for the job and whether his decisions on this play or that was good and would he have done a different direction and yada, yada. I kind of felt sorry for him because he looked worn down. But, I also wasn’t convinced that his talk with CDC was all he said it was. I think there’s more there and I feel he knows his job is on the line. I’m also surprised that Urban hasn’t said something to stop all the rumors. Maybe they really are true. 

people felt bad for Charlie because he never thought he'd get this chance. Herman came in guns blazing with a big backing and flamed out. I don't feel sorry one iota. He was paid life changing money from Texas for extremely average peformance.  Sure it sucks when reality slaps your ass in the face but that's the gig.  Just because he followed 3 straight losing seasons doesn't mean he gets to ride mediocrity for 10 years. No one at Texas ever has, why should he be the first.  All he had to do was come in second in the shitty Big 12 for 3 years and he could have punched his ticket.  He did it once in 4 years. He can't beat Patterson, Riley, and is .500 against Gundy and Campbell. GTFO.

agree that Urban could stop the talk about him but it could be that he is fine letting Herman twist.  If he had no ties to Herman I'd say his silence is a really good sign but in this case in may just be spite.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Watched Herman this afternoon on LHN and he looked beat up. Of course the guys asking questions wouldn’t let up on whether he was the right person for the job and whether his decisions on this play or that was good and would he have done a different direction and yada, yada. I kind of felt sorry for him because he looked worn down. But, I also wasn’t convinced that his talk with CDC was all he said it was. I think there’s more there and I feel he knows his job is on the line. I’m also surprised that Urban hasn’t said something to stop all the rumors. Maybe they really are true. 

I just cant feel sorry for somebody that is getting ready to get a $15,000,000 pay day.  And for what?

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

He was?

Well according to 247 (and I know these ratings can be flawed with who gets credit for landing the guy blah blah blah,) his average rating of all time signings that he's credited for is higher than all but 3 of Traylor's signings ever.  And one of those 3 for Traylor was JP Urquidez who picked us 2nd after Baylor got into trouble.   So yeah, I'd say he has more history to say he's a good recruiter than Traylor does at this point in his career. Not great, but certainly a more accurate statement than the assumption that Traylor is a good, proven recruiter.

Edited by JPETERMAN
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Just because he followed 3 straight losing seasons doesn't mean he gets to ride mediocrity for 10 years. No one at Texas ever has, why should he be the first.  All he had to do was come in second in the shitty Big 12 for 3 years and he could have punched his ticket.  He did it once in 4 years. He can't beat Patterson, Riley, and is .500 against Gundy and Campbell. GTFO.

agree that Urban could stop the talk about him but it could be that he is fine letting Herman twist.  If he had no ties to Herman I'd say his silence is a really good sign but in this case in may just be spite.

At this point, I'd rather CDC talk Bob Stoops out of retirement than keep Turtle Tom around.

rondae hollis-jefferson page GIF

10 hours ago, Brandywine said:

tenor.gif

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

One more loss.....

D-Day Dec. 1.......

Out of CCG contention.....

Damn, we are all cocked, locked, and ready to rock, what the hell are we waiting for?

Starting to feel like a big old fashioned dicktease. I’m just gonna say it, CDC doesn’t put out

CDC:
One loss more,

another game without a victory.
Slipping in the OU rivalry,
The BMDs who seem to know my time
Has come but they still bide their time for 
One loss more

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m clueless as to how the search would go, but I find it implausible that we would spend a truckload of $ to buyout Herman’s contract just to hire another mid-tier coach to replace him. You don’t spend Ferrari $ to drive a Toyota Corolla. If UM turns us down, I think it’s more likely that Herman coaches another year. There’s no one else worth spending the buyout $ for. It will get chalked up to COVID. 

Maybe I’m wrong. 

Damn. What a sickening feeling ran through my body.

If they bring Herman back next season that SEZ will be a fucking ghost town. Who the fuck would subject themselves to this shit next year?

With the shit home schedule of

Louisiana Lafayette, Rice and then the thrilling contests of Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech & Ok State. If you thought this year's home schedule was a steaming pile of shit the 2021 schedule makes it look even worse.

If CDC doesn't make a change this program is well and truly fucked.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

97B361A5-E012-4FBA-8C29-0ECEACAB5ADD.png

I guess its good that every site in agreement that Tom is in fact gone - regardless of what happens with Urban.

And its a good sign that all of the important players (CDC, Hartzell, BMD's, Regents) are in alignment in Texas pursuit of Meyer.

But...

What if Meyer decides to not risk his health and declines the ridiculous money Texas tries to throw at him.  Is there a plan B or C that everyone is lined up to go after - or is that when it all turns to shit and you have BMD's going their own way to get 'their guy'?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I guess its good that every site in agreement that Tom is in fact gone - regardless of what happens with Urban.

And its a good sign that all of the important players (CDC, Hartzell, BMD's, Regents) are in alignment in Texas pursuit of Meyer.

But...

What if Meyer decides to not risk his health and declines the ridiculous money Texas tries to throw at him.  Is there a plan B or C that everyone is lined up to go after - or is that when it all turns to shit and you have BMD's going their own way to get 'their guy'?

If CDC is good at his job, then he has a Plan B lined up and ready to go and he quickly asserts that option as the consensus as soon as Meyer says no. If not, then this shit could drag on and get really, really ugly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

If the decision to shitcan Herman has already been made and is not contingent on anything, why haven’t they done it yet? Fire his ass and put Ash or whoever as interim head coach until a new one is hired.

there was a post yesterday(?) asserting cdc in previous coaching changes at all stops in his career has 100% of the time had the new deal done before the firing.

Just now, XYZ said:

If the decision to shitcan Herman has already been made and is not contingent on anything, why haven’t they done it yet? Fire his ass and put Ash or whoever as interim head coach until a new one is hired.

Because We're Texas...and we fuck these things up every time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The fact that UM hasn't flat out denied interest means more imo than her tweets.  I'm not allowing myself to believe he's coming here but I'm 99% sure Tom's gone.

the problem is he can really only deny interest in coaching again.  He can't deny interest in a Texas job that isn't open.

It is a somewhat good sign that he hasn't denied interest in coaching again.  that means he is available to listen to offers or he is really enjoying fucking with Tom.

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

But...

if CDC is firing him he would be stupid if he didn't have at least 2 others he knows will say yes right away and let those 2 battle it out.  I guess he could be that dumb but hopefully not.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas