Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

42 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Where's the fucking fight from Herman? He should've been screaming in the refs ears all game from start to finish. Where was he at the least getting an explanation from refs at the end with how that safety bullshit went and the extra second left? We see Patterson tearing the refs a new asshole and then they change a call in his favor. It shows your players that you give a fuck and you're fighting for them on top of that fact that you see it effect the refs calls for you favorably. Barking at the refs works. In all of these dubious officiating scenarios all we ever see of Tom is him hiding behind his sunglasses and mask and cap trying to turtle himself under the player's bench.

I’ve seen Herman get pissed only once on the sideline where the players and/or coaches had to calm him down and that was a couple of seasons ago at Okie State when he exchanged words with Gundy.  He has never confronted the fricken Refs it’s their shit , momentum canceling non sense  and if he can’t figure it out that players notice this, it proves the point  he’s a clueless dick. 

Just now, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Herman's Texas teams are 2-12 when trailing at half.

His teams are notoriously slow starters, and he can't make up for those deficiencies in the final 2 quarters.

Sigh. Here we go again. I expect Quinn Ewers to start listening to other schools by Monday.

That’s why if we lo a couple of more in the next few weeks, the word should go out that he’s out and some one with some testicles is going to be in charge by December.  

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Michigan? I wish we won as many games as Michigan 

We are Tennessee. 

bWAHAHAHHA. The Tennessee that now has the longest current SEC winning streak at 7? The Tennessee that looks like they are on an upswing and winning games they should ?

No my fellow Surly Horn Asshole , we would be fortunate to be Tennessee

UConn Tom sucks. And if y’all think our opponents respect “well UT is in Austin. Great school. Runs a clean program.” Ur nuts. They laugh their ass off when the beat us in “our house.” All the way home. We have plenty of great athletes but don’t coach them up. We expect to just OUT-talent them on the field. Fuck coaching. We will just win bc we are UT!
I am proud of my degree from UT. This is no reason why we have to stay with Herman. 
We don’t have to necessarily have Meyer or a Saban type.

But I won’t lose a bit of sleep if we do get Meyer and some of you cancel your season tickets out of principle. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Kinda feels like the Houston BMDs who forced him down our throats should be blasted by fans.  No search, no vetting, just backed up the brinks truck to the UH coach bc he won a couple big games as an underdog and coached 3 hours away 

Texas fans were clamoring for Herman, and would've gone total apeshit if UT had lost him to LSU.  He wasn't forced down anybody's throats.  

Any fanbase would've been optimistic, given what his Houston teams did.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

Texas fans were clamoring for Herman, and would've gone total apeshit if UT had lost him to LSU.  He wasn't forced down anybody's throats.  

Looking more like it was the Greg Ward, Ed Oliver and Elandon Roberts show. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Some of us were concerned by his losses to SMU, Navy, etc. but overruled by the ones creaming his panties over OU and FSU

All the signs were there 

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This is a lie.  The infamous "Tom Herman" thread on TOS clearly displayed the different factions in our fanbase.  People like Iconclast dick rode Herman.  Many people, including myself, wanted to conduct a TRUE national search for the next guy.  The Houston Exes won out--and here we are.

• Hook 'Em 6

Herman was the risk we had to take fully knowing it might not work out. We're in the Michigan/Tennessee/Florida cycle of trying out a guy and seeing if he works. Herman's not the guy but we're probably stuck with him until 2021 due to Covid taking all our funds away. Unless a group of boosters care enough to pay his buyout, we're stuck with another year of hoping he can try to beat Tech and TCU with superior athletes. And watch next week as we roll out and beat OU. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Shaggy3.0 said:

This is a lie.  The infamous "Tom Herman" thread on TOS clearly displayed the different factions in our fanbase.  People like Iconclast dick rode Herman.  Many people, including myself, wanted to conduct a TRUE national search for the next guy.  The Houston Exes won out--and here we are.

You were a minority, dude.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we need a Herman type guy after Mack and we got the worst coach in our history.  now we are so concerned about looking like all we care about is winning and we are going to have to use all our hole cards to fire Shaka after this year.

😳

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He just needs to replace his coordinators again and then we’ll be unstoppable! 

We did it under Strong and again with Herman...and I’m trying to figure out how many times I’d ever that has worked anywhere? If the head man sucks, the team will too

Edited by taybo20

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This is what gets me. The absolute lack of common sense.

In the world of football, I’m sure Tom Herman knows plenty more than I do. He can run on and on about RPO’s and run fits and schemes and pretty much everything. Except common sense.

When you get to the 1 yard line with 2 1/2 minutes left and you’re about to take the lead, you don’t go hurry up. You have Sam Ehlinger. You slow it down, make absolutely sure you’ve got the right call. And if the call is not “run Sam into the line 4 times” you have the wrong call.

Herman has football knowledge. But it doesn’t translate because when called to make common sense moves, he can’t do it.

How many times have we ran Sam into the ground.  But when the game is on the line, we took the ball out of his hands. 

The problem is allowing these Group of 5 head coaches to come in and not insist they hire great coordinators from the jump. Herman fell into the same trap Charlie did with comfort hires. Now we're in season 4 with brand new coordinators who didn't get a full offseason due to Covid to install and work on their offense and defenses. And ultimately, that's on Herman for picking horrible, safe choices from the get go. Whereas Charlie was just inept, Herman is just an asshole. That plays fine when you're winning. When you're 1-3 against TCU, that's not so cute. Winning covers up a lot of the ugliness in a program and ineptness of a coach. Herman's problem is he doesn't win the games he should. Texas should not be 7-3 against TCU. For all of you who whine about the Big 12 being a shit conference and we shouldn't be in it, hell, we can't even master this shitty fucking conference. Look at our records against TCU and oSu. We're 3rd or 4th best in the Big 12 now. Something we never were under Mack. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Augustus said:

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some of us were concerned by his losses to SMU, Navy, etc. but overruled by the ones creaming his panties over OU and FSU

All the signs were there 

Both of these are true. I was one of the fools who overlooked the bad losses.

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

We did it under Strong and again with Herman...and I’m trying to figure out how many times I’d ever that has worked anywhere? If the head man sucks, the team will too

Yep. It’s like a burnt orange house that looks great on Zillow. Great curb appeal. Then you get inside and realize the foundation is completely fucked. You can add crown molding In every room, and all the upgrades (no builders grade—high quality stuff) and it doesn’t matter.

The foundation is fucked. It’s cracked. It’s total crap. Meanwhile the crimson and cream colored wreck next door with the siding peeling off, builders grade fixtures  (and was once rumored to be a meth lab)  just sold for asking price and we just lowered the price on ours again and no takers. The house won’t sell until the foundation is fixed. Meanwhile, a purple and black house with a roach problem just sold for asking price. BMDs seem to be stunned by this. The foundation is fucked dumbasses! (BMDs not y’all guys)

I wonder if Herman's downfall will bring @closetojumping back. He argued immediately that he would bet Herman would fail. I think he said it's because he'd met him and been around him and Herman was a guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room but clearly wasn't. 

Rings pretty true right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nobody ever points out how fucking dumb it is to force a head coach at a D1 football program to sit around for a 30 minute TV program every single week during the season with some jagoff to break down game film for a show that nobody is watching. Way too much media obligation. The mediocrity for this football program literally started the second LHN got off the ground.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody ever points out how fucking dumb it is to force a head coach at a D1 football program to sit around for a 30 minute TV program every single week during the season with some jagoff to break down game film for a show that nobody is watching. Way too much media obligation.

Not like he’d use that time to gameplan. That’s beneath him  

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder if Herman's downfall will bring @closetojumping back. He argued immediately that he would bet Herman would fail. I think he said it's because he'd met him and been around him and Herman was a guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room but clearly wasn't. 

CTJ has been back for several days...

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

hey uhhh... he's been back buddy

Year 4 we continue to make mistakes corrected at pop Warner level. The fact that Tom has never been 3-0 here ans this was the first time he’s 2-0 says something knowing most teams front load their schedules with shit teams. I’ve never been more on Board than I aM now. This team continues to regress ans shows zero improvement with loaded classes ans top 5 classes.  He’s not developing talent ans they show up a 4-5 star and leave a 2 star 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas