Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder if Herman's downfall will bring @closetojumping back. He argued immediately that he would bet Herman would fail. I think he said it's because he'd met him and been around him and Herman was a guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room but clearly wasn't. 

Rings pretty true right now.

Spot on assessment 

6 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Herman‘s smugness and “I’m smarter than everyone in the room” attitude is really starting to wear thin. You can get away with that if you’re Alabama or Clemson caliber. It’s a real bad look for him right now. 

No points for me for never being for the Herman hire, but he completely lost whatever hope I had that I was wrong about him when he went all Lenny in Mice and Men in his presser a while back. That was it. Leach he is not. He’s just a guy with a gimmick. That’s it. The problem is...gimmicks aren’t  sustainable and there are a ton of good coaches out there. He’s just mediocre. I would love to beat OU because duh but I have a shitty feeling we will be on this thread a bunch next weekend and it won’t be to say we were all premature in wanting UCONN Tom gone. :(

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder if Herman's downfall will bring @closetojumping back. He argued immediately that he would bet Herman would fail. I think he said it's because he'd met him and been around him and Herman was a guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room but clearly wasn't. 

Rings pretty true right now.

Ctj is back so no worries there.  But was he skeptical of Tom before the hire or after the Maryland game?

That's 'cause we're fucking Class...all the way, baby!  

Honestly, he's the most expensive 8-5 coach in the nation.  I never grasped y'all's fascination with him.  Your disillusion and mine go back to the TOS.  I don't have anything against him, he's just beyond mediocre but so many big donors fell for his bullshit.  

But it's 2020.  UT wants to finish the fundraise, finish the new SEZ build, finish the headaches, etc.  Let's just limp into 2021 and who gives a fuck what happens this year.  There's really not anybody currently giving a fuck as of now.  But yeah, I'd quit stroking checks if I'm some of y'all.  I certainly withheld my $250 donation, so I know what's what. 

It's glaringly obvious TH and his staff don't game plan or scheme for their opponents to exploit things. His arrogance in his "system" is what he relies on, and, thus, he gets out coached by real D1 coaches in situations he should dominate. Our players may come into the program highly rated, but there's no real development going on. It's incredibly hard to imagine that in year 4 we don't have scary, dominating defensive players. Our O line is still suspect, our RB is slow and still making poor decisions, and we don't have an elite WR? Why not? I thought we were killing it in recruiting?  There are probably a hundred Texas high school coaches that could step in and do a better job with the special teams. There's no reason to believe that this team is ever going anywhere with TH in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

yikes just saw the highlights. i was digging on TCUs misdirection and all. seemed really to open up some huge running lanes. Just imaging that with our athletes

fumble to end it. the product TH puts out is just dumb. thats the best word I can think of to describe it. 

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's 'cause we're fucking Class...all the way, baby!  

Honestly, he's the most expensive 8-5 coach in the nation.  I never grasped y'all's fascination with him.  Your disillusion and mine go back to the TOS.  I don't have anything against him, he's just beyond mediocre but so many big donors fell for his bullshit.  

But it's 2020.  UT wants to finish the fundraise, finish the new SEZ build, finish the headaches, etc.  Let's just limp into 2021 and who gives a fuck what happens this year.  There's really not anybody currently giving a fuck as of now.  But yeah, I'd quit stroking checks if I'm some of y'all.  I certainly withheld my $250 donation, so I know what's what. 

we aren't giving a fuck what happens in 2021 either.  that is our problem.  Herman will have to lose to Kansas before he gets fired.  maybe a 4 or 5 win season could do it.

34 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

That go-ahead TD play call where Ingram fumbled, trying to stretch the ball was classic TH autistic spectrum football.  There were at least three ways to get in the endzone with that formation and zero situational awareness. What a waste of talent.

Autistic spectrum football is the perfect description of TH 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

That go-ahead TD play call where Ingram fumbled, trying to stretch the ball was classic TH autistic spectrum football.  There were at least three ways to get in the endzone with that formation and zero situational awareness. What a waste of talent.

How painful this has been...for decades.

Why can we not have a coach that exploits our advantages? It's pathetic, but I guess the UT administration IS the common denominator.

• Like 1

I'm angry about the game and it's place as part of the trend in Herman coached games. Inconsistent play, needlessly close games with lesser opponents, and getting ahead and starting to run the clock out way too early and not far enough ahead.

The question I have is who should we have hired instead of Herman who looked like a good bet at the time? Did those of you who hated the hire have a better option in mind? Those are serious, unprejudiced questions. Strong had to go; then who? 

It will probably be another thread, but who would your recommend other than Urban? We may not get him, anyway.

• Like 1

It was painfully obvious which team had more talent. It’s fucking hilarious that a defensive coach and his staff did a better job of scheming the ball into their best player’s (Barber) hands than MENSA. 

That combined with our lackluster, unfocused start show why we’ll never be a real contender under this fucking clown.

Edited by ChemicalHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, El Squared said:

How painful this has been...for decades.

Why can we not have a coach that exploits our advantages? It's pathetic, but I guess the UT administration IS the common denominator.

Which is ridiculous in and of itself bc during this 10 year rut, we are on our 4th AD, 3rd president and 4th system chancellor. It just gets passed down like an ugly quilt or tacky figurine. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

You know who isn't on that list. The Pirate. Let's do it! 

Too late! Now he’s back in the SEC. gonna have a good time fucking shit up in that conference. I would have taken Fleck but I guess if we did a real coaching search for a new HC I would at least like to interview Luke Fickell. But by the time we kick UConn Toms ass to the curb Fickell will have matriculated  to another P5 team. Jmo. 

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Herman's Texas teams are 2-12 when trailing at half.

His teams are notoriously slow starters, and he can't make up for those deficiencies in the final 2 quarters.

Sigh. Here we go again. I expect Quinn Ewers to start listening to other schools by Monday.

That is Charlie Strong levels of bad.  For such a smart guy, Herman fucks up easy shit every game that fans on the couch can diagnose.  His performance against inferior talent is indefensible at this point.  He must go.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Does he still do that shitty breakfast thing for the “losing” groups? If I was a player there’s no way I’d put up with that shit from this clown.

The coaches should have to eat the shitty breakfast. 

• Hook 'Em 2

THEY ARE SOFT!!!!  That's been the problem here since before Mack Brown left.  It's not just the coaches.   It's our whole program in general.  They have a soft attitude and rarely ever play a full 4 quarters of good football.  And then in games like today, they can't get out of their own way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Hozz said:

That is Charlie Strong levels of bad.  For such a smart guy, Herman fucks up easy shit every game that fans on the couch can diagnose.  His performance against inferior talent is indefensible at this point.  He must go.

Herman is apex on the arrogance / wisdom index. he thinks he has it and doesn't want to learn anymore. That just delivers whatever peak he thinks he once had.

Arrogance is murder to any oganization. 

Sometimes success can be very difficult to move on from. He had his and he hasn't been able to grow from it. He is thinking "if I just get this my way it will come around"

Give Fasta lots of credit. He is whinny little bitch but because of his dependency on second class resources he has maintained a pretty level head and is resourceful AF. 

and I like tacos. 

14 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

THEY ARE SOFT!!!!  That's been the problem here since before Mack Brown left.  It's not just the coaches.   It's our whole program in general.  They have a soft attitude and rarely ever play a full 4 quarters of good football.  And then in games like today, they can't get out of their own way.  

this is a failure in leadership. I realize that is obv to say. 

The culture is bloated and arrogant here. Need the right leader to break that. Mack tilted that the right way and VY was the balls out leader to get from 4th to 5th gear. 

I def feel like Sam could be that guy but he just might be in the wrong space and time unfortunately. 

I haven't commented on Herman in his 3+ years here.  I really wanted him to be successful

This is not success, and I just can't hold it back anymore.  This loss isn't acceptable in Year 4.  It's mind-bottling that it has come to this.  I just don't have any words to describe the unbelievable failure that this program is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just have a real coaching search when Herman kicks his own ass to the curb. I mean we will let him go—but he will have earned it all on his own. 
Without Sam UConn Tom will be exposed for the fraud he is. Let it be known I said to at least interview Luke Fickell. I didn’t say hire but if he is available to interview. 

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:
We're head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to gimmicks and cute shtick - sledgehammers, gold teeth, baseball bats on the team bus, mouth kisses, a urine meter and on and on.   Not to mention leading the country in social justice reform.   Yay.

Unfortunately, we suck in player development, discipline, maturity, being buttoned up and anything else that equates to being a good football team. 

Laughable. 

How did you leave out that swag locker room bro?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas