Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, jinx said:

How did you leave out that swag locker room bro?

I think that swag locker room is the best halftime speech that our opponents can get. Most of their stadiums aren’t close. They probably come out ready to curb stomp us. Especially if they are ahead. They know the odds of UT winning with Herman at the helm when he is trailing are slim and none. 

CDC is a fuckin moron.

Tom did nothing to earn an extension. He has nowhere to go up from Texas and most fans wouldn't give a shit if he left anyway.

Basic behavioral psychology. You don't give the rat some cheese before he presses the lever. 

Tom has no incentive to improve. or win. 

CDC should have said win first, asshole, then get back to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Who was the poster that on this site who kept saying Herman was the answer and anyone who disagreed was a dumbass idiot?

That person kept saying Herman was the right answer to get UT to dominance and championships and it was “obviously” the right and only choice.

So, if I correctly recall the rumors last year, we had the big alums willing to come out of pocket to pay for Herman's firing but CDC gave herman one year with clearly defined goals to meet.  So now, with yet another year of shitfuckery and obviously those goals not met, we can't get the BMDs to pay an even lower buyout?  I don't see how covid affects our ability to fire his ass 

Just now, Not a cat said:

So, if I correctly recall the rumors last year, we had the big alums willing to come out of pocket to pay for Herman's firing but CDC gave herman one year with clearly defined goals to meet.  So now, with yet another year of shitfuckery and obviously those goals not met, we can't get the BMDs to pay an even lower buyout?  I don't see how covid affects our ability to fire his ass 

I think CDC gave him some goals and budget to hire a new staff. But I never heard of a group actually trying to buyout his recently extended contract 

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

as I said in the game thread from your keyboard to gods ears.  we are better than we were with Charlie by a country mile but we aren't even close to even early Mack Brown

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If we win 6 games and keep Herman cdc will prove to me he can’t pull the trigger. 4 years of mediocrity isn’t enough to know exactly what we would get next year?

Oh next year is going to be much worse with mensa at the wheel, breaking in a new QB, 3/5 of the OL who are being replaced by at thin group of 3* recruits, and there’s going to be some early departures on defense that will be noticeable. 

DL, p/k are the 3 groups which could be better just from experience and maturing out, pretty much every other position group is a big ? Or probable regression.  

keeping fuckhead for another year will likely have similar effects to keeping chuck a year past when we should have.   Recruiting falls further behind, holes in roster widen, and the rebuild will be that much harder.   He’s not the guy.

We fired a guy who let the ship flounder, but he never took on as much water as either of his successors.  
So we got a coordinator who won a MNC under Urban then parlayed that into 2 good seasons at a mid major.    He fucking sucked here so we fired him.

we replaced him with... a coordinator who won an MNC under Urban then parlayed that into 2 good seasons at a mid major....   see a fucking pattern?    Why was it so hard for so many to see after the first failed attempt?    

• Hook 'Em 4

You guys hoping for a cabal of alumni to fund Herman's buy-out forget how many of our rich alumni are somewhat to utterly dependent on energy as the source of their wealth and that wealth while not necessarily in complete danger is on shakier ground here in October 2020 than it ever was at the end of last season.  So they may have been ready (supposedly) to ball out and pitch in last winter, now....they probably have second thoughts..

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys hoping for a cabal of alumni to fund Herman's buy-out forget how many of our rich alumni are somewhat to utterly dependent on energy as the source of their wealth and that wealth while not necessarily in complete danger is on shakier ground here in October 2020 than it ever was at the end of last season.  So they may have been ready (supposedly) to ball out and pitch in last winter, now....they probably have second thoughts..

Zoom CFO Kelly Steckelberg could cash in some of her shares to buy out Herman.

I'd fucking trade Herman for you if you promised me to go out and get the best coordinators available and let them do their job. Also, commit to teaching basic fundamentals.
That alone would be a tremendous improvement.

Deal. Have your people call UT’s people and they call my people and we can make this happen.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nothing wrong with that statement if you’re too dumb to see just how dumb it was. I guess you “can’t wait” until we get back to McCoy and Swoopes and Heard and Gilbert. I’d kill to have another year of Sam. And lulz at whatever idiot says he can’t throw well enough to play professionally. Our fans are not smart. 

So fucking stupid. So because someone is not satisfied with Sam, they are ready to go back to shitty QBs? Quit doing that dumb shit to try and make some point. I have rarely seen you make a statement that is not full of dumb assery. You'd kill to have another year of Sam? Sounds ignorant. I would kill to have more years of Colt and Vince when they left. I would not kill to have another year of Sam. Just because he is better than the other junk we have had does not mean we can't do better. I want to move on from the Tom/Sam marriage. It got us a cool  Big 6 bowl win against Georgia but what else? Nothing but junk like today. Kudos to Sam for his effort here but it's time to move on from both of them.

53 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If we win 6 games and keep Herman cdc will prove to me he can’t pull the trigger. 4 years of mediocrity isn’t enough to know exactly what we would get next year?

4 years is precisely enough.

CDC doesn't own the decision; there are 20 cooks in the kitchen; and i don't agree with the statements that "CDC/Belmont/Cigars/Tower are not willing to do what is necessary to win".

But I do believe that losing has become acceptable in the program.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nothing wrong with that statement if you’re too dumb to see just how dumb it was. I guess you “can’t wait” until we get back to McCoy and Swoopes and Heard and Gilbert. I’d kill to have another year of Sam. And lulz at whatever idiot says he can’t throw well enough to play professionally. Our fans are not smart. 

Yea I guarantee he won’t start more then two games if that in the nfl.

Say no more.

Herman is now 1-11 in three-plus seasons at UT whenever the Horns are trailing going into the fourth quarter. The lone win came last week at Texas Tech. He’s also 2-12 when Texas trails at halftime.

https://www.hookem.com/story/20201003/tcu-33-no-9-texas-31-another-winnable-game-disappears-university-deserves-better/

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

4 years is precisely enough.

CDC doesn't own the decision; there are 20 cooks in the kitchen; and i don't agree with the statements that "CDC/Belmont/Cigars/Tower are not willing to do what is necessary to win".

But I do believe that losing has become acceptable in the program.

maybe with an actual AD the big cigars can get on the same page but it is a HUGE maybe.  we are OK with spending 5M-6M for mediocre(meaning 8-5 aggy levels)results as long as no one says that all we care about is sports and winning. we have an image to uphold apparently.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm angry about the game and it's place as part of the trend in Herman coached games. Inconsistent play, needlessly close games with lesser opponents, and getting ahead and starting to run the clock out way too early and not far enough ahead.

The question I have is who should we have hired instead of Herman who looked like a good bet at the time? Did those of you who hated the hire have a better option in mind? Those are serious, unprejudiced questions. Strong had to go; then who? 

It will probably be another thread, but who would your recommend other than Urban? We may not get him, anyway.

I wanted Mullen before Charlie.  Glad he is at my second alma mater wrecking shop

I'm pretty numb at this point. After last week's shit shot, I kind of figured this was going to happen. Sloppy mistakes plus TCU equals this kind of shit. I think I'm just not really going to pay much more than passive attention to the team (if anything) as long as Herman is still the coach. There's no point in ruining my whole Saturday every week. The work week is miserable enough without any help from the weekend.

Plus, it's really what I should have done when Herman refused to part ways with Casey Horny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

his 2-12 record when trailing at half says all you need to know.   if he doesn't start fighting for his team he's done.

The fact that we have averaged TRAILING AT HALF TIME in 1/3 of our games per season is startling. 

With our schedule, we should be leading or tied in 75% of our games per season, at least.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, campcrunk said:

I'm pretty numb at this point. After last week's shit shot, I kind of figured this was going to happen. Sloppy mistakes plus TCU equals this kind of shit. I think I'm just not really going to pay much more than passive attention to the team (if anything) as long as Herman is still the coach. There's no point in ruining my whole Saturday every week. The work week is miserable enough without any help from the weekend.

Plus, it's really what I should have done when Herman refused to part ways with Casey Horny. 

Or the rest of the goof troop he brought from UH 

• Hook 'Em 3

I like CDC, he’s a hell of a promoter and fund raiser, but there’s more to the job. He’s not shy about firing women’s sports coaches. He can’t/won’t make executive decisions in the men’s programs. Shaka shouldn’t be drawing a Texas paycheck. 

CDC should tell Herman win out or you’re gone, but he won’t. It only gets better if they can’t sell season tickets. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas