Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

That is one hell of a buyout. After last week and obviously today I’m very shaky on Herman. I don’t see CDC firing him this year due to COVID (see Shaka), unless we only win 1-2 more games. He probably will give him all of next year due to $.

Of course I’m hoping Mensa gets it fixed, especially in a down year for the Big 12. But we consistently are the richest or one of the richest athletic departments in the country year in and year out. If Herman is gone, either this year or next, it’s time to put our big dick on the table and money whip a proven coach like Saban, Dabo, or Urban as dirty as it makes me feel about Meyer. No more “up and coming coaches” for the University of Texas.

Anyone have any insight from the Cigars?

Mensa was already told to "get it fixed," and he knows his job is on the line.  Like his first time around, he just called up some other B1G retread buddies.  None of them have an "up and coming" resume or are a known development pipeline to the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

We suck ass and I’ve become apathetic to it at this point. Fire Tom Herman. Or don’t. I don’t really give a fuck.

This is the sad state of the program. If they don’t care, why should we. We’ve known for about a year now that keeping Herman means they couldn’t care less.

• Hook 'Em 1

First time OU has lost twice in a row since 99.  Lol how nice for them.  More proof Tom isn't the guy.  Without looking it up I'd bet he's lost twice in a row his first 3 years here and its probably only a matter of time to make that 4 for 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

“What kind of fucking defense leaves the fucking middle of the field wide fucking open that my grandma could drags her dusty pussy down between the hashed for a 40 yard touchdown without getting touched by a defender. “

^^^ This right here. What the fuck was that? 

I don’t know dick about proper defensive scheming, but even I saw that huge gap pre-snap and was thinking that I’d just run up the gut there.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Meant to quote Crash_Davis

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the sad state of the program. If they don’t care, why should we. We’ve known for about a year now that keeping Herman means they couldn’t care less.

True.  It appears 2020 is progressing into the "throw away year" we thought it would be.

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

First time OU has lost twice in a row since 99.  Lol how nice for them.  More proof Tom isn't the guy.  Without looking it up I'd bet he's lost twice in a row his first 3 years here and its probably only a matter of time to make that 4 for 4.

Losing to Maryland twice and then seeing my neighbor who went to school there with a T-shirt on that said “Beat Texas. Piece of crab cake!” Yeah that sucks but UConn Tom is known for losing shit like this. 

5 minutes ago, Hozz said:

For context, we’ve lost 2 consecutive games in a season for 10 straight entering this one....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You think this is fucking fixable?

Jesus fucking christ are you able to pay attention at all? Have you watched any Texas football over the past 4 years.

This is "fixed" as it is going to get. It will not get any better. We are at the apex right now. There is no upside/improvement from here.

Maybe, MAYBE we beat Ousux, but we probably drop 1-3 to Baylor, ISU, and Kansas. Yeah... That team that we needed a last second field goal to beat last year. It's that fucking bad dude.

My god.

You are right. Think I just have PTSD and can’t admit it. But it’s time to burn it down. So damn tired of these embarrassments.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Everything rides on next week for Herman... one last chance to keep hopes alive.

0u has more to play for next week. Expect Lil Lincoln to have them ready. He actually seemed to give a damn about losing.

I'm not sure we have enough players and coaches with pride to put in the work.

I feel like most of y’all can relate to this in your own way, but I talk to my dad almost every day. I grew up with him taking me to at least 4 or 5 Texas sporting events every year. Now, I’ll talk to him on a Saturday afternoon and Texas football won’t even come up. We used to be able to talk for an hour just about Texas football, and now it won’t even come up in a casual Saturday afternoon conversation fresh off of an embarrassing loss. It’s been normalized. We’ve become way too numb to it.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I feel like most of y’all can relate to this in your own way, but I talk to my dad almost every day. I grew up with him taking me to at least 4 or 5 Texas sporting events every year. Now, I’ll talk to him on a Saturday afternoon and Texas football won’t even come up. We used to be able to talk for an hour just about Texas football, and now it won’t even come up in a casual Saturday afternoon conversation fresh off of an embarrassing loss. It’s been normalized. We’ve become way too numb to it.

It still comes up for me and my dad...and mostly just lamenting

This entire team definitely has the personality of its head coach. These fucking guys are celebrating tackles after 6-8 yard gains on 1st down and making boneheaded decisions on a consistent basis. It won’t happen this year for several reasons but CDC needs to have Tom’s bags packed for him at the end of next season at the latest.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody ever points out how fucking dumb it is to force a head coach at a D1 football program to sit around for a 30 minute TV program every single week during the season with some jagoff to break down game film for a show that nobody is watching. Way too much media obligation. The mediocrity for this football program literally started the second LHN got off the ground.

That's not dumb at all. Blame the producers or the coaches but we need that sort of access. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's not dumb at all. Blame the producers or the coaches but we need that sort of access. 

Yep. Most head coaches at big programs have a weekly radio or TV show.  If this is distracting Tom he has no business here. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

12 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I have no idea why people keep repeating this incorrect and false myth that for some reason we can not fire Herman this off season.

I have no idea why your reading comprehension sucks so bad that you read that as “can’t” fire him this season. I just honestly don’t think it will happen after this season. CDC “can” fire him today if he wants to.

Of course. You must choose between fixing football and basketball.   Fix football first.  Our bmds should have 15 million laying around.  Assuming vaccine is in place, cdc could take care of football in spring.  But then basketball coach would probably finish his contract.  No big deal.  New arena will sell out first year or two.  The question/problem for cdc is how clear is it herm is not the guy.  Herm needs to lose at least 4 games imo to make it crystal clear.  Very possible. 

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Okay, fair enough, but why in the hell do you think CDC would keep him. 

I'm pretty fucking certain it will cause a drop in season tickets Herman, and not an unsubstantial one. Money talks.

Given basketball and baseball issues right now, our athletic department looks really damn bad.

Tom Herman is not the answer, never had been never will be.

We will have had a full slate of conference games and in a year when the conference is down, and our biggest rival was prime for the picking to finally take a big XII we coke on a Toad dick.

All that combined means that CDV himself is on a fairly hot seat. 

Returning Tom has zero upside, none, and puts CDC in a worse place than he is right now. CDC doesn't seem stupid or like a bad business man. 

So why do you think that Texas would retain Herman?

Because Texas has proven time and time again that winning sports is not the priority, and there are many built-in excuses right now. Yeah, everyone is dealing with COVID, but not every team replaced almost an entire coaching staff with very limited offseason to establish cohesion. Herman’s handling of the social distractions will also garner support. He should have been gone last year but I think we’re stuck this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Since 2017, UT as a ranked opponent has 6 (six) losses to an unranked opponent. Six. As a ranked team. The MOST in the FBS. 

That just reflects that we're ranked when we shouldn't be. We were still getting the benefit of the doubt as a fading blue blood.. We knew we sucked.

How many times have you been surprised when we lost to an unranked team? It's maddening, but has it really been surprising?

I thought this year we'd manage to move without a limp. I'm sorely mistaken. I hoped Herman was actually self-critiquing as he claimed he was. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tom Herman is not worried about getting fired. He knows it is a certainty at this point. It's just a matter of if it's this year or next. So when you see him on the sidelines and you could swear you care more about us losing than he does….it’s because it’s true. He is thinking about this just the way you or I would. He is making 5 Million dollars a year. Just ride it out as long as possible. Then move on to the next stop. Five years from now Texas will be no part of his universe. He thinks the fans are pathetic morons. Fuck Them. I am rich. My family is set for life. He is even getting some sick pleasure from inflicting pain on the fanbase. If you want to say that is BS then watch the game again and look at his smug ass on the sidelines. He pulled off a hell of a con. He only had to do it once. Congratulations Tom, you piece of shit. I can only hope Karma slaps your ass. In the mean time, can we move on to Urban?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1) Why did we replace the entire coaching staff this year?

2) Who caused the need to replace the staff?

3) What kind of results and improvement have we seen from that replacement staff?

4) I think the social situation handling was great, but our athletic department is funded by winning, not how they handle social issues.

5) If winning at sports is not a priority, which mean profitability, why are we paying CDC all that money.

Look, I firmly believe it boils down to money. Herman returning reduces it substantially in a lot of ways. The current issues in football are mostly of CDVs making. The pay increase after Georgia was, but Herman wasn't CDCs pick and that Georgia win came in a year we lost to Maryland. 

So Herman is the cause of the issues. His returning is a choice by CDC. 

That puts CDC in the hot seat as it will, ultimately, lose money for the university.

There is no logical reason to keep Herman, no fiduciary reason to keep Herman other than the buy out. 

It may turn out you are right, but if you are CDC needs to be fired.

1. Because they weren’t getting the job done and Herman had no choice lest the calls for his own head become louder.

2. The fired coaches themselves as they weren’t getting the job done. 

3. None

4. If the coaches didn’t address/support the social issues, they wouldn’t have any players to take the field 

5. We had one of our highest revenue years ever with Strong as the Head Coach for football and Shaka being Shaka. The Dallas Cowboys are the richest franchise in the world despite 5 playoff wins since 1996. 

There is a huge fiduciary duty to keep Herman. We just paid off the last guy we bought out to hire him.  

Edited by Spankytoes

3 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Tom Herman is not worried about getting fired. He knows it is a certainty at this point. It's just a matter of if it's this year or next. So when you see him on the sidelines and you could swear you care more about us losing than he does….it’s because it’s true. He is thinking about this just the way you or I would. He is making 5 Million dollars a year. Just ride it out as long as possible. Then move on to the next stop. Five years from now Texas will be no part of his universe. He thinks the fans are pathetic morons. Fuck Them. I am rich. My family is set for life. He is even getting some sick pleasure from inflicting pain on the fanbase. If you want to say that is BS then watch the game again and look at his smug ass on the sidelines. He pulled off a hell of a con. He only had to do it once. Congratulations Tom, you piece of shit. I can only hope Karma slaps your ass. In the mean time, can we move on to Urban?

Absolutely not. 

He thinks he's Mack Brown 2.0. He thinks he'll be here for 10 more years and at some point luck his way into a VY 2005 season. 

In happier times:

BDavisAAS: Tom Herman: "I don’t get to coach a position anymore. My job is to coach coaches and to disseminate our culture."
BDavisAAS: Herman: "This is not Tom Herman's offense, not Tim Beck's offense, not Ohio State's offense. It will be the University of Texas' offense."
BDavisAAS: Herman says he got who he wanted. "I tell people all the time that coaches and players win games and administrations win championships."
kbohls: Herman said Tim Beck will call the plays with suggestions from Herman during and in between series.
mikefinger: Herman said administration authorized him to hire whichever assistant he wanted. Chose guys he knew, because, of course, "alignment."
JeffHowe247: Herman believes the two most important hires a head coach makes are his strength coach and his defensive coordinator. #HookEm
BDavisAAS: Texas coach Tom Herman: "We’re going to play a tremendous defense around here."

and

Someone's favorite Coach Herman story is him asking the catering company before the winners/losers team dinner if they could serve the losers baked beans out of #10 tin cans for effect. He really wanted this to happen, but only at the last minute did the kitchen refuse because of the high risk of food illness that would present. But Coach Herman still persisted with the burnt burgers and dogs with no condiments. #dontgiveafuck.

and

Mensa just described the new locker room upgrades as "vivacious" and had a rigorous hydration explanation using a beef jerky analogy.
We gon win, boys.

Edited by Shaggy3.0

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Yep. Most head coaches at big programs have a weekly radio or TV show.  If this is distracting Tom he has no business here. 

Want a good laugh?

Archie won a second Heisman. That Christmas my older brother got a 45 jersey like Archie's, I got a 44 jersey like his younger brother Ray's. I was fine with that. Then the Bucks lost to double digit underdog UCLA in the Rose Bowl. 

It still sort of hurts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been trying to figure out who mensa reminds me of, kinda like Ari Spyros character in Billions?

He’s immature and insecure,, he not a leader, he doesn’t have it..   Listen to an interview with guys who have been to the top like Dabo or Urban, it’s confidence.   After a loss Mensa, gets so nervous, on the edge of tears and playing with a water bottle that you just want to smack the pussy out of him.

He mistook base camp for the top of the mountain when he got the UT job, and he spent so much time congratulating himself and rolling around in his new found money and position that it took him 3 years to figure out the summit is still a long fucking way up..

his #1 job as HC is to continually identify good coaches who can also recruit and replace them when they get poached or fire them if they suck.  3 years in and no one has been poached, but he was pressured to fire most of his staff and he still missed a few.   He did go get some unemployed coaches as consultants and to fill out his new staff.   But the difference with Saban and Urban is they actually get good former HCs who got canned because they fucked up while Mensa finds guys who got fired for being shitty coaches.

he wasn’t experienced enough for the job, and I don’t think he has enough leadership ability to ever succeed here.   He gave us an uptick in recruiting but that’s going to dry up quick, already seeing it in 21 class.  And the recruiting upgrades don’t matter if we aren’t developing them and getting guys drafted.  

CDC you’re going to have to pull the trigger sooner than later.   The higher you aim for a replacement the easier it will be to find money.   

• Hook 'Em 3

ketch:

This is just an assortment of thoughts that end at a specific place.

1. The Houston BMDs went into this season incredibly bent over this off-season. Whatever is hotter than royally pissed off wouldn't do justice to the anger about what happened when CDC met with this group in the off-season after all of the player protests. I was told by someone inside the room that CDC did not answer the questions in a way that made important Houston BMDs happy and that it got real nasty after CDC left.

Full transparency: I haven't heard that it went down quite as harshly in all of the little pockets of donors groups (see Dallas BMDs), but in general the word I've received is that no one is happy and I'm talking about pre-today.

CDC knew going into this season that it was a good thing that a lot of the heavy lifting in fund-raising was done before all of this happened. A lot of big money, old money folks that have supported the program for a long time have given indications they will not be giving in the same capacity moving forward.

2. We're in a no-end-in-sight-pandemic and some of these dudes are tightening purse strings, especially if there's a change in the way future taxes might impact them.

3. The Longhorns are currently 25 million-ish committed to Herman and his combined staff.

4. In order to hire someone like Urban Meyer, it would cost about $7 million per year just to match what Herman was making and not to break the bank because Meyer would have the school painted in a corner. Add in all new staff hires and we're probably talking about another 30 million of needed investment to cover the first three years of a Meyer led regime.

5. That means that from 2021-23, the Longhorns would need to be prepared to swallow something to the tune off around $55 million instead of the already pot committed 25 million. during that time frame. Even in Meyer took a cheap deal because of whatever reasons related to the pandemic, we're still likely talking about $45-50 million at a minimum.

This is a long way for me to say the following....

Suggesting that the climate exists where...

a. Texas would swallow a 25 million dollar PR disaster that would arrive with setting that amount of money on fire at a time when jobs are being lost to change a football coach, despite all-time terrible optics.

b. CDC has an audience in the mood to give him more money....

c. CDC has an audience that's not only in the mood to give money, but ok with doing so in this uncertain financial climate...

d. A hire like Meyer would rip the school apart IMO behind the scenes. You're crazy if you think some important BOR members wouldn't stand in the way without a major stink. Perhaps this is the time in history where this war of ideologies could take place, but maybe it isn't. It's a leap of faith gamble into potential madness. If you're thinking Urban Meyer, your can't pretend like that hire wouldn't fly in the face of all the things Texas has claimed to care about as an institution as recently as five seconds ago. The leader of this school have always vibed more with with the Big 10 schools and Stanford in perceived values than Alabama, Auburn and paper mill colleges in the region.

That's a lot of stuff that would need to come together pretty perfectly in order for Texas to be able to catch lightning in a bottle and this place hasn't exactly operated in that kind of professionally dominant way in a long, long time.

As it relates to what I'm hearing tonight... well... people are pissed. Drunk pissed. It's truly not pretty behind the scenes, especially when you combine the football stuff with the unhappy feelings that exist in some important corners of this school's BMD section with regards to off-field matters, especially the school song. And it would be one thing if it was just one thing. But, there's like 10 different things that add up to the current level of discontent.

One source I spoke with tonight (and hey, it's only one source) indicated that Texas is pot committed with Herman and as angry as this source was to his soul, he knows that what Texas needs is for Herman to pull this thing together and reward the university with the investment it has made in him, especially when it doubled down this off-season when he went through 70-percent of his staff. There's not a decision-maker at any level of the university that is even prepared to truly entertain the thought of what it would mean to even consider eating 25 million in the current climate when it scared them to eat half of that in a pre-pandemic world with Shaka Smart.

In the event that Texas was willing to pull the trigger, I just don't know that any of the dudes that would normally write the kind of checks that make those things happen are in the frame of mind to give Texas another penny right now, let alone millions of them.

Herman simply has to pull this thing together. I don't know that there's another viable option on the table at this exact moment.

These simply aren't normal times.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas