Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

I have no inside info. Below is based on a hypothetical where there is mutual interest between Meyer and Texas.

Coombs left the Titans to go back to Columbus, can’t see him leaving after one year. Johnson is older and has always been a PA/OH guy. Joyner would be a good hire.

Meyer would 100% demand his son-in-law Corey Dennis as QB coach. First year as full coach but four years there as GA/QC. Special teams rat at GaTech so that’s a positive. Obviously no recruiting history.

He might go after RB coach Tony Alford. Or keep Drayton. RB coaches are kinda interchangeable (no Katfid).

I think Louis Addazio (OL) and Kenny Guiton (WR) at Colorado State are names to watch.

Any praises for Pantoni/Marotti are absolutely earned. Meyer will go hard in the paint and probably get them.

Good call on Guiton who is from Aldine Eisenhower

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not gonna lie, the paystub posting and subsequent crying was pretty awesome.  I mean posting your paystub showing you make 2fiddy then, on the same page, complaining about neg rep is peek surly.  

Yea. Glad I didn't jump to last page when I tuned in this am.

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You think Carrington is going to follow Herman to some shit-hole G5 school where he can earn 30% of what he’s making at Texas. 

I would bet Herman goes OC, or maybe takes some time off.  Maybe something opens up in the G5 level, but there won't be much turnover in the lower levels because of covid.  It will be slim pickings if he wants to be a HC.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I would bet Herman goes OC, or maybe takes some time off.  Maybe something opens up in the G5 level, but there won't be much turnover in the lower levels because of covid.  It will be slim pickings if he wants to be a HC.

I assume that Herman's contract requires him to look for work to offset the remainder of what Texas owes - or he doesn't get paid.  I don't think Tom will take time off - but I think you're probably right that there will be fewer head coach opening than usual.

Either way - I don't think Carrington leaving if Tom gets fired is a foregone conclusion.

Herman being fired will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him.  He'll have to accept the mistakes that got him on his couch and probably will be the fire for him to do much better wherever he ends up at.......

.... or being the complete narcissist, in regards to actual football matters, he will double down on what he did here elsewhere and flop, again.

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Herman being fired will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him.  He'll have to accept the mistakes that got him on his couch and probably will be the fire for him to do much better wherever he ends up at.......

.... or being the complete narcissist, in regards to actual football matters, he will double down on what he did here elsewhere and flop, again.

F37BDFD4-0C4A-4143-917C-637DB3129CAE.jpeg

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I wish I could suck at my job and look forward to a multi million dollar buyout. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He'll prob go to some Louisville or some b-tier program as HC like Strong did

Herman will be a head coach at a P5 immediately after getting dismissed from Texas.

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I assume that Herman's contract requires him to look for work to offset the remainder of what Texas owes - or he doesn't get paid.  I don't think Tom will take time off - but I think you're probably right that there will be fewer head coach opening than usual.

Either way - I don't think Carrington leaving if Tom gets fired is a foregone conclusion.

Thought I saw some negative posts about Carrington on another thread. What was this about?

Could have misunderstood.

12 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I wish I could suck at my job and look forward to a multi million dollar buyout. 

11 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

We all do

I cofounded a business that we eventually sold to an international conglomerate and then the founders and team worked there for a few years. Hell, some are still there, which is cool. The Euro leadership decided to put the org through a re-org, which means layoffs, and then they did it again 18 months later. The whole thing was always kind of surreal to be in the middle of for a non-big company person, but they had me on several exec teams at once, and it led to getting to see a lot of the comp numbers once the layoffs and "tasking" started. I got to watch a number of people do exactly what I imagine Herman is doing or will do - quit while on the job, just waiting to have their lucrative exit negotiated as they're shown the door. It was crazy. I saw numbers in both the UK and Houston and holy shit, it was well into the tens of millions going out the door as part of the "long term savings". 

Anyway, it happens in big business just the same way it happens in sports. I'm guessing the guys working through sending this dude on his way have seen plenty of similar exits and packages for undeserving and deserving assholes. Maybe not $15million in value, but many executive buyouts go well into the millions with long term perks to go with it. Sometimes we remove the real world from how we think about transactions in sports, but the more I've thought about Herman's departure, the more I wonder if isn't actually going to be somewhat like BAU for the donors involved. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

There were unfounded rumors that he was bad mouthing UT to recruits. Was discredited from what I recall.

I spoke to a guy who is both involved in the recruiting world beyond UT and knows BC well. Wherever that rumor started, it should have died. The dude hasn't done anything of the sort. Beyond hearsay, the issue just doesn't pass the logic test either. It doesn't make any sense for a recruiting coordinator to do that unless he wants to be blackballed from ever working in CFB again. It sounds like the kind of shit that could only fester in a place like Orangebloods. No way 247 or IT would let it catch any fire, as all of those guys know BC and deal with him. Only Obloods is disconnected enough and lazy enough to let that kind of premise get any footing.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I spoke to a guy who is both involved in the recruiting world beyond UT and knows BC well. Wherever that rumor started, it should have died. The dude hasn't done anything of the sort. Beyond hearsay, the issue just doesn't pass the logic test either. It doesn't make any sense for a recruiting coordinator to do that unless he wants to be blackballed from ever working in CFB again. It sounds like the kind of shit that could only fester in a place like Orangebloods. No way 247 or IT would let it catch any fire, as all of those guys know BC and deal with him. Only Obloods is disconnected enough and lazy enough to let that kind of premise get any footing.

Totally agree. Was a BS deal from start. 

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It originated from Navyhorn

31 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

@GreenspointTexas at least have the courage to post the rest of your paycheck 

Earning-Statement.png

I just noticed it was 2.5 years old. Who goes back 2.5 years to pull a one month paystub? My guess is something unusual happened that year like a bonus of some kind and wants us to think that is the kind of money he normally makes. It’s so pathetic on so many levels. 

He has now reached legendary status like derka on Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You think Carrington is going to follow Herman to some shit-hole G5 school where he can earn 30% of what he’s making at Texas. 

This thread has clarified something for me. If Urban Meyer were named head coach, I don't care who he hires or who he keeps. That's what I want. A head coach that can hire and fire, with my first thought being "he's got this". Hell, Coach O even got lucky once but I doubt his ability to keep it going. Give me one of the handful of head coaches that handles this well and with confidence (Not arrogance) and I'll be a happy man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I cofounded a business that we eventually sold to an international conglomerate and then the founders and team worked there for a few years. Hell, some are still there, which is cool. The Euro leadership decided to put the org through a re-org, which means layoffs, and then they did it again 18 months later. The whole thing was always kind of surreal to be in the middle of for a non-big company person, but they had me on several exec teams at once, and it led to getting to see a lot of the comp numbers once the layoffs and "tasking" started. I got to watch a number of people do exactly what I imagine Herman is doing or will do - quit while on the job, just waiting to have their lucrative exit negotiated as they're shown the door. It was crazy. I saw numbers in both the UK and Houston and holy shit, it was well into the tens of millions going out the door as part of the "long term savings". 

Anyway, it happens in big business just the same way it happens in sports. I'm guessing the guys working through sending this dude on his way have seen plenty of similar exits and packages for undeserving and deserving assholes. Maybe not $15million in value, but many executive buyouts go well into the millions with long term perks to go with it. Sometimes we remove the real world from how we think about transactions in sports, but the more I've thought about Herman's departure, the more I wonder if isn't actually going to be somewhat like BAU for the donors involved. 

Sobering thought. I've applied similar thoughts on various other businesses that on the surface appear to be completely different, but have never done so with college sports. It's a business like any other, and that's a tough blow to the kid inside me. Growing up sucks at times. 

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I just noticed it was 2.5 years old. Who goes back 2.5 years to pull a one month paystub? My guess is something unusual happened that year like a bonus of some kind and wants us to think that is the kind of money he normally makes. It’s so pathetic on so many levels. 

He has now reached legendary status like derka on Surly. 

You realize that photo is shopped, dont you? Or are you a complete moron?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sometimes we remove the real world from how we think about transactions in sports, but the more I've thought about Herman's departure, the more I wonder if isn't actually going to be somewhat like BAU for the donors involved. 

1200px-Criminal-Minds.svg.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You realize that photo is shopped, dont you? Or are you a complete moron?

Dude - Listen to an old man......let IT go.  You’re only making it worse for yourself.  I’ve worked in the O&G business for over 40 years - local independents only, never a major -We routinely pay administrative staff (geo techs, engineering techs, etc) $75k.  All, if not most, are only  high school grads with little or no college education - that’s base salary. After 5 years they can participate in the bonus pool which is based on area ROR.....and they don’t even have to go to Texas....and work only 40 hours per week.  

Edited by Bluemoon3287
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Herman will be a head coach at a P5 immediately after getting dismissed from Texas.

He failed here and was slightly better than Strong who ended up at USF and failed there again.  I think his immaturity and his behavior at previous stops may hinder a program from touching him.  When you choose from two unproven candidates and one has a history of hitting up strip clubs, getting drunk, and sleeping with co-eds.... you're probably going to go with the safer candidate.  

Also, keep in mind... I'm sure the AD and everyone at Texas did everything to help Strong find a landing spot in the sense that most people didn't have anything bad to say about Charlie outside of the fact that he simply couldn't win here.  With Herman, I'm not sure you will find many people in the AD that will vouch for him or have anything good to say about him.  He'll end up at a G5 program.  I'd be shocked if a mid tier power 5 program touches him. 

Our last handful of fired coaches ended up at Purdue, Arizona, North Carolina, and South Florida.  Not exactly the murderer's row of job promotions unless you consider grifting a misguided athletic department/fanbase to be financial murder.  So yeah...

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas