Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K-TFB....

I know there has been a lot of twitter talk about the desire by some Texas fans to see Texas hire Urban Meyer.

Of course much of this is premature. Herman still has a path to redemption – make it to the Big 12 championship and win.

But I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.

I have no idea what that means about the potential for the hire to materialize but I can say it seems it’s not just a discussion happening on twitter.

its happening the office GIF

Texas fans:

tenor (29) (15).gif

• Hook 'Em 1

This is definitely a worry but nobody can beat Urban Meyer. 

The lack of conference titles is because Ohio State had one of the best coaches in the history of the sport. It's the same reason Kirby Smart can't stack titles in the SEC with Saban. Does that mean Smart is a bad coach? I think Smart might be the 3rd best coach in CFB. 

So Urban then Kirby? Worse that happens is we lose another MNC to Bama.

14 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Maybe CTJ is a different breed, but it has been noted that many a hard-ass are a true softie when it comes to their sweet little daughters.

I have an adult girl and an 8 year old girl, amongst myriad sons running around. Maybe the age gap and raising kids my entire adult life has made me a hard-ass but my wife and other female business partners keep telling me that I’ve gone nice in my old age. I can simply say that it is my belief that no one with lifelong ambition to be the best at something would be able to say “no” to a chance to prove it unless they truly believe that they could die in the process, and even that might not be enough. 

12 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Will you idiots shut the fuck up about Franklin? If we fuck up the easiest lay up hire of all time here by skipping on Meyer for some reason just fucking turn the television off for the next decade because we will continue to wander through purgatory with occasional seasons in CFB hell. There is zero reason to give one iota of a fuck about the next 5-10 years if we don’t hire literally the second best living coach. But hey at least we will have the moral high ground lmao. 

Perhaps the post of the thread. 

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K-TFB....

I know there has been a lot of twitter talk about the desire by some Texas fans to see Texas hire Urban Meyer.

Of course much of this is premature. Herman still has a path to redemption – make it to the Big 12 championship and win.

But I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.

I have no idea what that means about the potential for the hire to materialize but I can say it seems it’s not just a discussion happening on twitter.

I forgot about TFB when I wrote about the $9.95-ers a while back on this thread. They do good work. That said, Burton from the UT side and Hamilton and Nahlin from the UM/other coaches end will have all of the info first on this. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

So Urban then Kirby? What that happens is we lose another MNC to Bama.

I would love Kirby. I think he's legit. 

Great recruiter (definitely dirty though) and willing to adapt as he already showed with the Monken hire. His defense will always be good. 

The only problem is he's a Georgia grad and they're letting him do whatever he wants there. So that seems very unlikely and probably not even worth the discussion. 

Edited by texasstrong12

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K-TFB....

817iJHQQXnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Franklin would be a good coach and respectable hire, but his tenure would just be a continuation of the multi decade sister kiss that has been Texas football outside of a 5 year stint under Brown. 

I guess hoping to win 1 out of every 3 or 4 conference championships in a shitty conference is asking for the moon, but I think Franklin would struggle to do so. We’re not lucky enough for Riley to move on, and to have OU hire someone truly craptastic. So we need a real alpha to come to Austin and wrangle this league into submission by its truck nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Super K-TFB....

200.gif

giphy.gif
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would love Kirby. I think he's legit. 

Great recruiter (definitely dirty though) and willing to adapt as he already showed with the Monken hire. His defense will always been good. 

The only problem is he's a Georgia grad and they're letting him do whatever he wants there. So that seems very unlikely. 

image.gif.5cb22c64c59c3d071b2eb57d21846d0b.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You will be able to knock me over with a feather if Texas runs the table to 8-2 from here. The HC has a pathological need to play games close, and yet he has no attention to details, weak grey matter in his skull, and no fucking sack to do what needs to be done with the game on the line. I expect him to choke his way to 5-5, but I concede that 6-0 on the way to 8-2 is entirely possible. It will just be shocking.

Good point. Franklin will absolutely be more expensive than Meyer. If anyone ever argues the $$ angle as to why Texas couldn't sign Urban Meyer:

1) They should be permabanned for being idiots

2) They'd have to be talking about someone like Matt Campbell, as most anyone else has a significant buyout and is already earning $4+ as well.

It's fine to be opposed to a hire for whatever reasons you choose, but to then come back in the same post and cite Mullen and Cristobal as better options is ... kind of amazing.

Mullen will never win the SEC while at UF. He's building his usual paper tiger based off of sketchy recruiting choices. He's not Tom Herman, don't get me wrong. He'll steadily have them at 8-4/10-2 regular seasons, hunchbacking them all the way to "solid". Calling him far superior to Franklin, morally, coaching-wise, recruiting-wise, whatever, is laughable. 

Cristobal is flatly corrupt in recruiting. They might as well just hire Barry Switzer. Whatever the issues are with Meyer, he's not fundamentally corrupt when it comes to recruiting. I am not sure Cristobal could conduct the clean recruitment of a fucking saint. Beyond that, he's done less as a coach than Franklin and has shown his ass repeatedly in end of game situations.

Finally, Nike wants to Texas to be good. They want Oregon to be good. They don't want one of those schools being good to ruin the chances at the other school. Nike will have a voice whenever they feel it is required. Also, Phil Knight and Meyer are buddies, and there's some smoke around PK actually helping recruit UM to lending an ear to the Texas money players. 

We are not fishing 8-2..... 6-4 maybe with two  more of those loses being OT games where Tom snatches defeat fro the jaws of victory.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We’re not lucky enough for Riley to move on, and to have OU hire someone truly craptastic. . 

Are we sure Riley is a great coach? This is his first year with primarily his players and they're mediocre as fuck. 

I think Riley is dominating a conference without a 2nd alpha mainly because we suck. That says more about Herman and Strong than Riley. Riley gets exposed once he plays good teams in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K-TFB....  I know there has been a lot of twitter talk about the desire by some Texas fans to see Texas hire Urban Meyer.  Of course much of this is premature. Herman still has a path to redemption – make it to the Big 12 championship and win.  But I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.  I have no idea what that means about the potential for the hire to materialize but I can say it seems it’s not just a discussion happening on twitter.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Franklin wouldn’t win more than Herman in a meaningful way.   I don’t see a b12 championship from him when he has to deal with like of Patterson, Grundy, Riley, etc.  Thus the buyout economics make it a non starter.  It’s either Urban this year or we are staying with Tom.   

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Here's what's really scary - if we fuck this up (good chance unfortunately) - we will have missed on Saban and Meyer and it will have been our own fault both times.  That's some Harakiri inducing shit my friends. 

Difference this time is no one likes Herman.  There will be no donors in his corner.  Even the guys who brought him in are ready to fire him.

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Are we sure Riley is a great coach? This is his first year with primarily his players and they're mediocre as fuck. 

I think Riley is dominating a conference without a 2nd alpha mainly because we suck. That says more about Herman and Strong than Riley. Riley gets exposed once he plays good teams in the playoffs. 

I firmly believe that Stoops stayed at ou because he ruled this conference.

6 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Here's what's really scary - if we fuck this up (good chance unfortunately) - we will have missed on Saban and Meyer and it will have been our own fault both times.  That's some Harakiri inducing shit my friends. 

You know Chata?

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

guess who sold that info to tfb :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

i am going to make @closetojumping adult daughter a certified glizzy gladiator when i meet her 

Klassy stuff coming from a true insider. I’m surprised to see you here right now. I figured you’d be away for awhile, giving your made-of-glass cousin a series of gentle soft tissue massages while his weak ass sits out the rest of yet another season after less than 2 full games of snaps. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Riley is experiencing his first year without a certifiable Heisman candidate under center, and their roster is cycling a bit. I don’t really care about what he does in the playoffs. He’s good enough to push this league’s shit like a Kashi enema. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Riley is experiencing his first year without a certifiable Heisman candidate under center, and their roster is cycling a bit. I don’t really care about what he does in the playoffs. He’s good enough to push this league’s shit like a Kashi enema. 

I don't disagree with the way it's currently constructed. There isn't another blue-blood type other than Texas who currently sucks. Schools like Baylor, Oklahoma State, and TCU might have some random good years but that's about it. And those type schools are at a fairly big talent disadvantage against Riley. 

Without us having a good coach it makes the conference right there for the taking in most years for OU.

Gerry Hamilton's list of top replacement candidates

1. Urban Meyer - first coach to ever win a NC at 3 schools would cement him as one of top handful of college coaches ever
2. Bob Stoops - UT wouldn't likely hire him, but they should and he would win big
3. Matt Campbell - would run to Austin, beats OU, would have chance for decade of winning stability
4. Herm Edwards - would crush recruiting at Texas
5. Gary Patterson - terrific X's and O's football coach at limited program
6. James Franklin - would run to Austin, elite recruiter
7. Justin Fuente - would run to Austin, very good X's and O's coach at limited program
8. Jeff Traylor - not realistic I know, but he would do extremely well

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Klassy stuff coming from a true insider. I’m surprised to see you here right now. I figured you’d be away for awhile, giving your made-of-glass cousin a series of gentle soft tissue massages while his weak ass sits out the rest of yet another season after less than 2 full games of snaps. 

I hate Carl as much as the next guy, but Idk if we need to take this out on J Whitt... 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas