Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I haven’t really seen any discount talk.  Urban may not cost a lot more than some of the other alternatives as there is no buyout and he’d possibly keep four of the coaches.  

Yeah - this is the only discount talk I've seen regarding Meyer - Texas won't have to pay a buyout and Texas could save a significant chunk of money if he chooses to keep Ash and a few others.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re still looking at paying 8-10 million annually. 

bucky just now said all you’re getting out Herman is excuses whether it’s covid, which effected everyone, new coaches, and etc. the reason he has 7 new coaches is because of Herman himself. 

and how dumb Herman says yes seeing great things from the team but no one else has  

basically compared Herman to aggy as well about moral victories and celebrating almost being there.

Sure, but a guy like Fleck or Franklin would be looking at 6 right? 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gotta pay their existing buyouts that I’m sure will be built into taking them since both signed extension recently. So you’d probably be looking at similar cost for less proven commodity 

Yep.  And both of those guys would bring in a whole new staff.  I could see Urban keeping Ash, Yurcich, Drayton and Valai. 

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

$100 million

Mahomes’ new contract has a value of ~$500MM. The chiefs have obviously decided he is worth more to their franchise than that. 

Is it more likely than not that Urban will bring more than $100MM value to UT?  If so, pay the man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The issue with Ags and jimbo isn’t pay per year.  It’s the 10 year guarantee. I hope we wouldn’t give that to any coach. 

It doesn't seem certain that Meyer wants to be anywhere 10 years, so I'd be surprised to see him push for that.

I remain convinced Jimbo and his agent were trying to anchor high with the 10 year request expecting aggy to try to negotiate them down. Based on the parts of the agreement I've seen, I'd be surprised if aggy negotiated a single point. Feels like they had Jimbo's agent draft a proposal and just said "ok, looks good."

If Herman survived last week, I don’t see how he gets fired before the end of the season.  I mean what else could realistically happen that would be any worse?  If that debacle can occur (beginning with the OU game) and a week later the guy goes to the presser and talks about the team’s improvement ?  Keeps the EOT issue as confused as it apparently has been all season.  Anything less than a major felony, I don’t see it.  

Makes me want to throw up -

49 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The bottom line is that Urban isn't going to give Texas a deal as has been suggested a few times on this thread.

I saw someone mention him taking $74.5million/10 years as a joke, and I said pages ago that money isn't his primary motivator. One was a joke and the other doesn't imply a discount. We all know that whatever Meyer is, he's not a shmuck and the general tenor here has been that he'll have to get paid if Texas gets him.

The Buckeye clown that was saying he "has all of the leverage" and will get a $15million/year deal was wrong, and you are as well if you think either issue is true. He doesn't possess all of the leverage. If he makes a dumbass demand, Texas will walk. A $15-$17million/year package for the entire staff and admin is different than the head man getting $15million. It's not like Herman's current staff and admin is that far off $15million right now. I think they're at something like $11-$12 but somebody with the numbers could tell us the count pretty quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I saw someone mention him taking $74.5million/10 years as a joke, and I said pages ago that money isn't his primary motivator. One was a joke and the other doesn't imply a discount. We all know that whatever Meyer is, he's not a shmuck and the general tenor here has been that he'll have to get paid if Texas gets him.

The Buckeye clown that was saying he "has all of the leverage" and will get a $15million/year deal was wrong, and you are as well if you think either issue is true. He doesn't possess all of the leverage. If he makes a dumbass demand, Texas will walk. A $15-$17million/year package for the entire staff and admin is different than the head man getting $15million. It's not like Herman's current staff and admin is that far off $15million right now. I think they're at something like $11-$12 but somebody with the numbers could tell us the count pretty quickly. 

So, in your opinion, his daughters/family is the biggest obstacle to overcome?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I know, and you know more than me, is the money is there. If he wants the job he’s got it. 

5 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

If Herman survived last week, I don’t see how he gets fired before the end of the season.  I mean what else could realistically happen that would be any worse?  If that debacle can occur (beginning with the OU game) and a week later the guy goes to the presser and talks about the team’s improvement ?  Keeps the EOT issue as confused as it apparently has been all season.  Anything less than a major felony, I don’t see it.  

Makes me want to throw up -

ttw0i.jpg

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

2021 and 2022 recruiting classes being destroyed week by week. 

They aren't getting destroyed, yes it's going to be a transition class, but there is some really good players that are still committed to us as of now.  I really hope Meyer pulls the trigger because him being able to meet the class over zoom or an Austin Summit gathering lead by Blake Brockermeyer will probably ease concerns when he flashes his 3 rings..

3 hours ago, NoName said:

In case more folks are looking for names in CDC's history, here is his bio from TexasSports and a listing of where he has been:

• TCU - 09+
  • Rice (06-09)
  • Arizona (00-06)
  • Washington State (98-99)
  • Cal Poly (94-98)

Oh great it will be either John Mackovic or Mike Stoops. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

They aren't getting destroyed, yes it's going to be a transition class, but there is some really good players that are still committed to us as of now.  I really hope Meyer pulls the trigger because him being able to meet the class over zoom or an Austin Summit gathering lead by Blake Brockermeyer will probably ease concerns when he flashes his 3 rings..

2021 class is proper fucked dude. Only thing that is saving it is urban being hired within the next month. If we wait until December that class is completely fucked. Especially if aggy continues to do well. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not like Herman's current staff and admin is that far off $15million right now. I think they're at something like $11-$12 but somebody with the numbers could tell us the count pretty quickly. 

$13.25 mill plus bonuses

Here’s a breakdown of Texas’ assistant coaching annual salaries (and remaining contract years):

• Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, $1.7 million (three - through 2022 season)
  • Chris Ash, defensive coordinator, $800,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Jay Boulware, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, $700,000 (three - through 2022 season)
  • Herb Hand, offensive line, $700,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Stan Drayton, running backs, $650,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Coleman Hutzler, linebackers, $600,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Mark Hagen, defensive tackles, $550,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Yancy McKnight, strength coach, $510,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Oscar Giles, defensive ends, $400,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Andre Coleman, receivers, $350,000 (year to year)
  • Jay Valai, cornerbacks, $300,000 (two - through 2021 season)

Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Edited by LTtxfan
Math is difficult
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

They aren't getting destroyed, yes it's going to be a transition class, but there is some really good players that are still committed to us as of now

Hence, "week by week". Imagine a situation where we're 4-5 in December and Herman is still the coach. 

Just now, LTtxfan said:

$12.5mill plus bonuses

Since folks may wonder how much to change TEXAS staff...

Here’s a breakdown of Texas’ assistant coaching annual salaries (and remaining contract years):

• Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, $1.7 million (three - through 2022 season)
  • Jay Boulware, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, $700,000 (three - through 2022 season)

Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

College football is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So, in your opinion, his daughters/family is the biggest obstacle to overcome?

No clue. Things like this have so much bullshit around it until the signatures are dry that you should believe everything you want with very little real emotion attached to it. I've said all along that the odds remain against getting Meyer because of the chaotic level of variables involved. 

Hell, let's count a few:

-UT admin being cowed by media and getting cold feet, or not

-UT admin balking at money

-UT AD not being ready to 86 Herman in a timely manner

-UT AD knowing better and going after someone else

-BMDs balking at buyout

-BMDs balking at new package for UM

-Other schools showing interest

-UM's family winning the argument

-UM deciding he doesn't feel like the work

-UM deciding he doesn't like the set-up

I'm sure we could count 50 more. Everything has to come together. We probably wind up with Sonny Dykes taking a Hot Carl on our program for 4-5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sure, but a guy like Fleck or Franklin would be looking at 6 right? 

By the time the school TV show and shoe deal are calculated in Franklin makes just over 7 million a year.  So its going to cost Texas more than 6 a year to get him away from PSU.  Assistant pay at PSU is much lower than current Texas assistants are making - so one of the benefits for Franklin (outside of his salary) would definitely be a better budget to pick/hire assistants.

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It doesn't seem certain that Meyer wants to be anywhere 10 years, so I'd be surprised to see him push for that.

I remain convinced Jimbo and his agent were trying to anchor high with the 10 year request expecting aggy to try to negotiate them down. Based on the parts of the agreement I've seen, I'd be surprised if aggy negotiated a single point. Feels like they had Jimbo's agent draft a proposal and just said "ok, looks good."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He wants the job so I would assume the money would only have to be reasonable. What’s not clear to me is whether the money is lined up and whether the fire Herman decision is concrete or still in discussion. I don’t know but am guessing that the final decision is still not made and depends upon the next few weeks. More losses and looking ugly cements the decision. Eight game winning streak and looking great, I don’t know.

37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Bucky and Erin absolutely crushing Tom on a daily basis now. Bucky has said multiple times today that he needs to be fired. 

Given that they're on the flagship station I'm surprised Bellmont hasn't clamped down on things. 

Mack would have already had 3 henchmen at the station's doors threatening to rearrange some kneecaps.  Since Herman tends to work from his playbook I'm surprised that he hasn't done something similar. 

Exactly. Jimbo and his agent — I’m sure it’s Jimmy Sexton — knew that Jimbo was trending the wrong direction at FSU. He wanted the guarantee money for 10 years. He probably thought, “If I fail at a place that has never won anything BTW and has no track record of sustained excellence, they’re gonna have to pay me to go away.”

None of that exists here. Texas has won titles with the right coaches. Urban’s Ohio State program was nowhere close to Jimbo’s FSU when he left for “health reasons.” There are three coaches I’d be happy to give 10-year deals to if that was the deciding factor for them — Dabo, Saban and Urban.

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

$13.25 mill plus bonuses

Paying Yurcich 1.7 million so that Tom can throttle him down as soon as we get any kind of a lead.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Given that they're on the flagship station I'm surprised Bellmont hasn't clamped down on things. 

Mack would have already had 3 henchmen at the station's doors threatening to rearrange some kneecaps.  Since Herman tends to work from his playbook I'm surprised that he hasn't done something similar. 

My guess is Belmont likes the bad PR for Tom.  Helps build the case.

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

I would like to Quantum Leap into either Erin or Buckey the moment Tom Herman shows up in order to attempt to dress me down. That would be some fun, funny shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Saw a post earlier that talked about Tom and Urban having the same agent (Trace Armstrong) and asking whether that's a problem.  Quick google search shows that Urban and Armstrong parted ways shortly after Urban's 3 game suspension for employing that rat-fuck Zach Smith.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas