Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

BUMP. Penn State outgained Indiana 450-150 in total yardage tonight, and lost because of awful game management by Franklin - including the Penn State RB running into the endzone for a TD instead of taking a knee to win the game! PSU also had 100 yards' worth of penalties and three turnovers!

image.png

Fuck James Franklin.  Do not want.  

28B243E3-EFD8-4892-A009-5AFE3A9794C6.jpeg

80384231-1458-4640-9BFF-87EF8224B480.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well I am sure that Tom is now again convinced of his own brilliance with his superb game planning and how this team has done a transformation to completely dominate a team like baylor and has proven himself to be smarter than CDC the BMD and all the dumb fans calling for his job. Which means the mullet is going to push Tom's shit in Saturday in Stillwater.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Well I am sure that Tom is now again convinced of his own brilliance with his superb game planning and how this team has done a transformation to completely dominate a team like baylor and has proven himself to be smarter than CDC the BMD and all the dumb fans calling for his job. Which means the mullet is going to push Tom's shit in Saturday in Stillwater.

I remember feeling ambivalent after Akers lost to Air Force. It's sucked, but maybe it would mean we would finally fire Freddy and move on. Nope. That "honor" went to A&M the next year. We had a losing season and if I recall correctly we lost to every team in the conference that had a pulse and could fog a mirror, I think we even lost to Stanford at home. 

Hopefully we have learned to spot what won't work. Again, there is a high cost to firing Herman there is a likely higher cost to keeping him.

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- we should be better than OSU. We are more talented. I really like Our OC. But Herman is a boat anchor that will make us lose. 

But are we really ?  For about the last 10 years, we continually hear about these great classes we have signed, yet each year they don’t seem to be able to tackle, catch or run as fast.  Sure, we get the occasional super star, but it’s rare.  When was the last time you heard anyone taking about a super star. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but  when talking to former MLB player he made the statement about a certain high school who seemed to never have success. He said the “...kids don’t perform and their parents are pussies...”.  That seems to apply at Texas, year after year, except I would rephrase it to say “coaches”. Or, are we making that big of busts in recruiting.  Caden Sterns and B. J. Foster.  Both highly recruited (apparently) and both had really decent freshman years.  Now, Sterns can’t go two weeks with missing three games, Foster always seems to out of place in coverage.  They are both barely average.  How many offensive lineman have we signed hat typically bring two lunches. We have a quarterback who occasionally makes a great throw, but when throwing deep, couldn’t find his ass with both hands and a flashlight.  We take a guy from Michigan (May be glad we have him) who absolutely gets SMOKED by the Baylor DB from the offside. Yeah, yeah, angles and all of that....horse shit, that guy wearing “0” is so slow, he has to speed up to stop. Awful.....whatever the cause, we can bitch all day long about the coaches, but I’m not sure we are getting that good of  talent at any position. 

Having said all of bullshit, I’m  totally baffled why Herman is still in Austin. Urban is available, apparently Texas has the money, Herman sucks and always has.  How many excuses is one guy allowed in life, much less at a well paid job over the last four years? Cut your losses, swallow the big chunk and move on.  It ain’t getting any better status quo.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I remember feeling ambivalent after Akers lost to Air Force. It's sucked, but maybe it would mean we would finally fire Freddy and move on. Nope. That "honor" went to A&M the next year. We had a losing season and if I recall correctly we lost to every team in the conference that had a pulse and could fog a mirror, I think we even lost to Stanford at home. 

Hopefully we have learned to spot what won't work. Again, there is a high cost to firing Herman there is a likely higher cost to keeping him.

Wait a second.   We lost Air Force?   Imagine how Surly would have reacted to that loss.  

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

So am I mistaken or did that Baylor team practice exactly 0 times in the last 10 days? 

The TV guys kind of suggested that was the case.  They also noted they were without several players, but didn’t note if they were two deep.  Yea, we held on to game for which if Baylor had maybe five more minutes to work with, they might have won. 

We did, in a Bluebonnet bowl. '86 I think. No Surly, but the fan reaction was as you would expect. 

The stadium was left open 24/7 back then, a lot of us would go run on the track. The coaching tower was often left in the stadium and it had a rope on it for raising and lowering things without having to climb the stairs. After the loss one of my buddies went up the tower and tied the rope into a noose. Probably would have been misinterpreted in the current environment, but at least back then it was understood it was a statement on coaching.

2 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

We did, in a Bluebonnet bowl. '86 I think. No Surly, but the fan reaction was as you would expect. 

The stadium was left open 24/7 back then, a lot of us would go run on the track. The coaching tower was often left in the stadium and it had a rope on it for raising and lowering things without having to climb the stairs. After the loss one of my buddies went up the tower and tied the rope into a noose. Probably would have been misinterpreted in the current environment, but at least back then it was understood it was a statement on coaching.

And that was a coach that almost won 2 national titles.

Sad state of our program.

5 minutes ago, reneg_2 said:

Wheels are turning. 

Your few posts seem to be implying you have some kind of inside info. Do you, or are you just throwing random statements and permutations of Urban Meyer's name out there?

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The TV guys kind of suggested that was the case.  They also noted they were without several players, but didn’t note if they were two deep.  Yea, we held on to game for which if Baylor had maybe five more minutes to work with, they might have won. 

That isn't true. Brewer could have scored to make the final score look worse. Look, we suck but we just don't suck more than a hobbled BU.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Wait a second.   We lost Air Force?   Imagine how Surly would have reacted to that loss.  

Pffftt.  We lost to Rice in 1994.  Our coach’s reaction was meh it’s gonna happen every now and then.  They did beat Mack Brown in the Sun Bowl that year.  So, there’s that, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And that was a coach that almost won 2 national titles.

Sad state of our program.

He did get close, but that was probably a hard on his perception as most anything else. He produced good records early, but his last 3 years we just seemed to get weaker and weaker. Of course having Earl Campbell  kind of explains his first year.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

Errbody on the interweb has “ inside info””

I'm always curious about this. I am friends with a lot of ex-players from around the Akers era to early Mack Brown and one even screened Mack. I have a friend who is head of minority relations. I know a lot of Houston area execs as well as Michael Dell and the head of McNair Interests so basically I know a lot of people who could or should have insight into Texas Football. Shoot, I even know some ex-UT coaches. Although, I don't talk to them about specifics, I feel like most don't have any more info than I have. I get the feeling that BM don't know shit and the only people who know anything are a handful of BMDs that specifically support Texas football. I guess those guys have big mouths since they like to be heard. Who are the BMDs in the Houston area who get involved in football?

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm always curious about this. I am friends with a lot of ex-players from around the Akers era to early Mack Brown and one even screened Mack. I have a friend who is head of minority relations. I know a lot of Houston area execs as well as Michael Dell and the head of McNair Interests so basically I know a lot of people who could or should have insight into Texas Football. Shoot, I even know some ex-UT coaches. Although, I don't talk to them about specifics, I feel like most don't have any more info than I have. I get the feeling that BM don't know shit and the only people who know anything are a handful of BMDs that specifically support Texas football. I guess those guys have big mouths since they like to be heard. Who are the BMDs in the Houston area who get involved in football?

sounds like they are too old to know where all the info resides in today's world... in the GC

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- we should be better than OSU. We are more talented. I really like Our OC. But Herman is a boat anchor that will make us lose. 

Sure Herman sux, but the OL is the real anchor. We could have Bill Walsh, Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan in our offensive room and they'd have a difficult time scheming around that disaster.

I give MY a pass, but I don't really think he's shown anything *this season* to be excited about (with or w/o Herman involvement)

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Sure Herman sux, but the OL is the real anchor. We could have Bill Walsh, Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan in our offensive room and they'd have a difficult time scheming around that disaster.

I give MY a pass, but I don't really think he's shown anything *this season* to be excited about (with or w/o Herman involvement)

They aren’t an anchor when we go tempo and try to score. I’m pretty sure MY would do that it’s Herman that finds this idea offensive.  

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's not getting fired after a win (well, maybe an OT win against Kansas) - they're going to to wait for his next loss and then they're going to tell him to get the fuck out of here.

Yeah. If they were going to fire him after a win, no point in waiting till after the bye week.  

Baylor appears to be awful, plus they haven't really practiced lately, plus Aranda seems like an utter dipshit who punted from the opponent's 30 yard line yesterday (I don't think I've ever seen that before but it is incredibly stupid). I have no idea if we'll actually fire him or not, but it is difficult to imagine that anyone believes that Tom has turned a corner. 

On the question of wasted talent, or talent not living up to its rankings, my perception is:

Every team has top talent that doesn’t perform, but we definitely are among the worst right now.

Strong got two types of top talent - those that were really good and had the right attitudes to be successful, and those that had some sort of challenge or risk. Strong recruited a lot more risky highly rated players than many realized, myself included. The other top talent is mostly now in the Nfl or at least panned out: Elliott, Jones, etc

Herman seems to have a better hit rate on top talent and has fewer problem players than Strong. But, he’s recruited poorly on the offensive line, and because of poor defensive and offensive coaching, top players have looked bad. They should perform better for the rest of this year if he’s truly upgraded the staff. Herman has also had a lot injuries and bad luck on top recruits like Floyd, Brown, etc. The biggest issue by far is OL. Whoever is coaching next year has to fix that ASAP with portal players.

27 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Baylor appears to be awful, plus they haven't really practiced lately, plus Aranda seems like an utter dipshit who punted from the opponent's 30 yard line yesterday (I don't think I've ever seen that before but it is incredibly stupid). I have no idea if we'll actually fire him or not, but it is difficult to imagine that anyone believes that Tom has turned a corner. 

On said punt, didn’t it easily sail into the end zone too? 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas