Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

52 minutes ago, Xian said:

Yeah. If they were going to fire him after a win, no point in waiting till after the bye week.  

Yeah. There is. 2 more weeks to line stuff up behind the scenes. 

Obviously guys don't usually get fired after wins but I don't knooooow maaaaaan.

59 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its the Big 12 and Oklahoma State has some fucked up losses during Gundy's tenure.  I'm not taking anything for granted.  We know there are more losses on this schedule - I'm just not ready to assign them to certain teams.

Not uncommon for the Big 12 to have a lot of parity. Of what's left on the schedule only Kansas and TCU were beaten convincingly yesterday.

Ok St vs Iowa St:  24 - 21

Tx Tech vs WVU:  34 - 27

Ks St vs Kansas:  55 - 14

Ok St and Ks St, arguably the toughest opponents remaining, are both road games.

To the guy who said Caden sterns and BJ foster aren’t living up to their potential: I’m convinced had they signed with LSU (who they were recruited heavily by and we beat out to get them here), they’d probably be Thorpe award finalists and first round picks if they had signed there. I’m 100% convinced of that.

We waste so much talent, especially in the secondary. I’m tired of it. It’s 100% coaching.

Definitely BJ but not so sure about oft injured and slow Sterns(at least BJ plays through it). BJ would have been better off at the LB/S hybrid like Overshown. But point taken.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Not uncommon for the Big 12 to have a lot of parity.

Yes, but:

Ok St vs Iowa St:  24 - 21

Two good teams^

Tx Tech vs WVU:  34 - 27

Two bad teams^

3 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Ks St vs Kansas:  55 - 14

A good team and a bad team^

So I'm not sure how yesterday's games demonstrate parity.

Its the Big 12 and Oklahoma State has some fucked up losses during Gundy's tenure.  I'm not taking anything for granted.  We know there are more losses on this schedule - I'm just not ready to assign them to certain teams.

Agreed, the mullet always seem to have a head scratcher or 2 every season. See vs us last year. A lot more on the line this year though.

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:
1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

On the question of wasted talent, or talent not living up to its rankings, my perception is:

Every team has top talent that doesn’t perform, but we definitely are among the worst right now.

Strong got two types of top talent - those that were really good and had the right attitudes to be successful, and those that had some sort of challenge or risk. Strong recruited a lot more risky highly rated players than many realized, myself included. The other top talent is mostly now in the Nfl or at least panned out: Elliott, Jones, etc

Herman seems to have a better hit rate on top talent and has fewer problem players than Strong. But, he’s recruited poorly on the offensive line, and because of poor defensive and offensive coaching, top players have looked bad. They should perform better for the rest of this year if he’s truly upgraded the staff. Herman has also had a lot injuries and bad luck on top recruits like Floyd, Brown, etc. The biggest issue by far is OL. Whoever is coaching next year has to fix that ASAP with portal players.

I would like to think so, but you are going to have a really tough time proving it.  We have had some splashes of talent - how long has it been since we had someone (besides Texas fans’ belief in Sam - ugh) that we had a kid even remotely talked about on the National scene ?  Truly, Cedric Benson.  Beyond that, who?  We have become insignificant at best or the laughing stock of college football at worst.  These recruiting classes have resulted in about a .500 winning percentage -

2 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're responding to, but if it's specific to RB's, Jamaal was a star and D'Onta won the Doak Walker.

Since you've brought up Sam and it doesn't seem to be specific to RB, Vince and Colt come to mind as guys who were talked about on the national scene post-Benson. 

I guess what I'm saying is... the fuck are you talking about?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Lol, nah. I'm going to go ahead and correct your point for you and say since Colt since I think that's what you meant. Foreman, Duvernay, Dickson off the top of my head. Williams, Malcom Brown, Jeffcoat, Fera as well. All consensus AAs except Duvernay which is kind of hilarious - but WR is deep these days.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes, but:

Two good teams^

Two bad teams^

A good team and a bad team^

So I'm not sure how yesterday's games demonstrate parity.

On any given day they say, and how the teams match up matters. To say they are bad is a bit simplistic.

Some more scores from the "good" teams vs the "bad" teams:

Ks St vs Tx Tech:  31 - 21 (at Ks St), two score victory at home.

Ks St vs TCU:  21 - 14 (at TCU), one score victory on the road.

Ok St vs WVU: 27 - 13 (at Ok St), two score victory at home.

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're responding to, but if it's specific to RB's, Jamaal was a star and D'Onta won the Doak Walker.

Since you've brought up Sam and it doesn't seem to be specific to RB, Vince and Colt come to mind as guys who were talked about on the national scene post-Benson. 

I guess what I'm saying is... the fuck are you talking about?

I agree player development has been shit the last decade, but using CB as a data point was an odd choice, considering our loaded 2005 team that won the greatest national championship ever happened after Benson, with nationally acclaimed players VY, Huff, Ross, Charles etc., followed by Orakpo, Colt, Earl, and more, then yet another Doak winner. 

But yes, we’ve been in the desert for way too damned long.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

To the guy who said Caden sterns and BJ foster aren’t living up to their potential: I’m convinced had they signed with LSU (who they were recruited heavily by and we beat out to get them here), they’d probably be Thorpe award finalists and first round picks if they had signed there. I’m 100% convinced of that.

We waste so much talent, especially in the secondary. I’m tired of it. It’s 100% coaching.

Oh, so our coaches are so shitty these 5 five star athletes can’t tackle ?  How do you coach no speed ? I get coaches are good and bad, but some of this, a lot of this, is the kids performance. If all it took is proper coaching, we wouldn’t have to really worry about recruiting classes at all.  Tell me who we have recruited who went on to be a superstar?  Maybe Jamal Charles?  Hardly.  If you are a 4 or 5 star athlete who continually fails to wrap up, after years of being told to do just that, over and over, what is actually your fucking problem young man?  He apparently still hasn’t heard it. That  my friend is not coaching, that is stubbornness and laziness.  Fuck the excuses - I’m sick of them.  If I had that many excuses in my profession, I wouldn’t have made it 4 months instead of 40 years.  Excuses are just like assholes and you know the rest.  You may be right about Sterns and Foster, but then you ignore the rest. Jonathon Gray got hurt sure, but still a failure, every decent QB we signed never got a real look once Sam arrived - how many of those guys have moved on because they get tired of sitting behind. .500 QB and see  three wasted years ahead of them.  I get that’s the game, but there are ZERO water walkers at Texas - how about Whittington and that Jake dude?  Those are both real bright spots after the all the TEXAS hype.  Talk about a total bust compared to their hype - what a joke.  Go ahead and continue to buy that bullshit - you didn’t say a damn thing about personal responsibility of the player.  What a loser attitude - Tom Herman hasn’t dropped a pass, missed a tackle or been in the wrong place once since I’ve been watching.

Don’t get me wrong - I give Herman zero credit and wish him gone ASAP.  Maybe if Caden would man up a little and quit being such a pussy he might learn how to tackle better with some fucking game experience.  Maybe he could be a better ball hawk if he didn’t spend so much time on activities unrelated to football.  I wish he would have refused to play.  He’d still be sitting on my bench - 

• Fuck You 1

Baylor appears to be awful, plus they haven't really practiced lately, plus Aranda seems like an utter dipshit who punted from the opponent's 30 yard line yesterday (I don't think I've ever seen that before but it is incredibly stupid). I have no idea if we'll actually fire him or not, but it is difficult to imagine that anyone believes that Tom has turned a corner. 

Tom is arrogant enough to think that the win was a statement. That the Sunday practices are finally translating to Saturday wins. You absolutely know he thinks that they are back on track.

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You make fast players slow by making them think too much or putting them in positions not to take advantage of their speed.

Bad tackling can be a result of not practicing tackling, or being out of position and having to try to adjust and tackle from a bad angle.

Anyone who watched what Greg Robinson did with Manny Diaz players in literally weeks should know that stud players can look awfully pedestrian under the wrong coaching.

Your argument is that all of the stud recruits we land, who generally have offers from elite programs, all just happen to be busts. I don't buy it. It's coaching.

For the past nine months since we hired Ash it’s been nonstop talk about how he simplified the defense because of what Orlando had done and was simplifying it to put the players in position to make plays. Were we lied to by all the insiders?

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There are two very tired themes on this thread - predicting our results and how it impacts Herman, and the next coach. 

First, we aren’t winning out. Stating it is really stupid. We will finish 6-4. If I am dead wrong, which I’m not, and we win out and win CCG and bowl game and finish 10-2, he should still be fired. 

Second, any talk of any other coach other than Urban is a waste of fucking time. 

Another very tired theme on this thread is indignantly proclaiming there is no way we are winning out, in response to some troll/kidder who claims we are, as if it is a new and insightful position.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Oh, so our coaches are so shitty these 5 five star athletes can’t tackle ?  How do you coach no speed ? I get coaches are good and bad, but some of this, a lot of this, is the kids performance. If all it took is proper coaching, we wouldn’t have to really worry about recruiting classes at all.  Tell me who we have recruited who went on to be a superstar?  Maybe Jamal Charles?  Hardly.  If you are a 4 or 5 star athlete who continually fails to wrap up, after years of being told to do just that, over and over, what is actually your fucking problem young man?  He apparently still hasn’t heard it. That  my friend is not coaching, that is stubbornness and laziness.  Fuck the excuses - I’m sick of them. 

Still think you have to attribute coaching to a lot of this. On tackling, they may be told to wrap up, but how much emphasis and repetition are they getting? I think a part of it too is that proper tackling isn't taught in jr and high school like it used to be. These guys are probably reverting to their ingrained habits under fire. So have the coaches emphasized it enough and made it clear that repercussions for not doing it right will be the result? How about getting in that players ear with a little heat when he comes in on the sideline?

Guys dropping passes. WRs seem to get rotated in and out willy nilly. Does it affect their ability to establish a rhythm?

Attitude. Do you think maybe Mensa's culture encourages the wrong attitude among players? I suspect so.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Tom is arrogant enough to think that the win was a statement. That the Sunday practices are finally translating to Saturday wins. You absolutely know he thinks that they are back on track.

I almost hope he gives us that steely-eyed glare at the presser tomorrow like, "See, I've had it under control all along and you morons don't have a clue. Right on schedule. Just as I had always thought. It's lonely at the top being a genius."

The topper will be, "Don't forget we're in the thick of this race."  I think at that point I'll burst out laughing before I turn it off.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I agree player development has been shit the last decade, but using CB as a data point was an odd choice, considering our loaded 2005 team that won the greatest national championship ever happened after Benson, with nationally acclaimed players VY, Huff, Ross, Charles etc., followed by Orakpo, Colt, Earl, and more, then yet another Doak winner. 

But yes, we’ve been in the desert for way too damned long.

Point well taken.  Who’s been drafted higher than Cedric ?  I love, love Colt McCoy - his work ethic, his determination and while at Texas, his coolness under fire and accuracy.  He was awesome, Shipley was great, but neither made  any noise about Heisman or first round picks.  What was Cedric, drafted, No. 2 overall?  

Shall we talk about the great QB’s who Texas never even really gave a look? How about those guys that came right from under their noses. No they went to Tech (Mayfield) or OU or Alabama and all were in the Heisman mention. Some guy named Mahomes just right up the road, right ?  Isn’t that dude at Clemson a Texas boy?  Not sure on that one, but I think so.  

41 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

To say they are bad is a bit simplistic.

Uh. No it isn't. Tech sucks. WVU sucks. Baylor and Kansas REALLY suck. TCU is okay - ISU and K State are pretty good - and OSU is the only very good team in the conference. Who knows what OU* ends up being. 

There were a lot of weird results in the first few games of the season across the country. Once everyone settles in the B12 should become pretty predictable standings-wise.

Edited by ztejas

Point well taken.  Who’s been drafted higher than Cedric ?  I love, love Colt McCoy - his work ethic, his determination and while at Texas, his coolness under fire and accuracy.  He was awesome, Shipley was great, but neither made  any noise about Heisman or first round picks.  What was Cedric, drafted, No. 2 overall?  

Shall we talk about the great QB’s who Texas never even really gave a look? How about those guys that came right from under their noses. No they went to Tech (Mayfield) or OU or Alabama and all were in the Heisman mention. Some guy named Mahomes just right up the road, right ?  Isn’t that dude at Clemson a Texas boy?  Not sure on that one, but I think so.  

Looks like fourth overall.

24 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Oh, so our coaches are so shitty these 5 five star athletes can’t tackle ?  How do you coach no speed ? I get coaches are good and bad, but some of this, a lot of this, is the kids performance. If all it took is proper coaching, we wouldn’t have to really worry about recruiting classes at all.  Tell me who we have recruited who went on to be a superstar?  Maybe Jamal Charles?  Hardly.  If you are a 4 or 5 star athlete who continually fails to wrap up, after years of being told to do just that, over and over, what is actually your fucking problem young man?  He apparently still hasn’t heard it. That  my friend is not coaching, that is stubbornness and laziness.  Fuck the excuses - I’m sick of them.  If I had that many excuses in my profession, I wouldn’t have made it 4 months instead of 40 years.  Excuses are just like assholes and you know the rest.  You may be right about Sterns and Foster, but then you ignore the rest. Jonathon Gray got hurt sure, but still a failure, every decent QB we signed never got a real look once Sam arrived - how many of those guys have moved on because they get tired of sitting behind. .500 QB and see  three wasted years ahead of them.  I get that’s the game, but there are ZERO water walkers at Texas - how about Whittington and that Jake dude?  Those are both real bright spots after the all the TEXAS hype.  Talk about a total bust compared to their hype - what a joke.  Go ahead and continue to buy that bullshit - you didn’t say a damn thing about personal responsibility of the player.  What a loser attitude - Tom Herman hasn’t dropped a pass, missed a tackle or been in the wrong place once since I’ve been watching.

Don’t get me wrong - I give Herman zero credit and wish him gone ASAP.  Maybe if Caden would man up a little and quit being such a pussy he might learn how to tackle better with some fucking game experience.  Maybe he could be a better ball hawk if he didn’t spend so much time on activities unrelated to football.  I wish he would have refused to play.  He’d still be sitting on my bench - 

Whaddup Tom!

Still think you have to attribute coaching to a lot of this. On tackling, they may be told to wrap up, but how much emphasis and repetition are they getting? I think a part of it too is that proper tackling isn't taught in jr and high school like it used to be. These guys are probably reverting to their ingrained habits under fire. So have the coaches emphasized it enough and made it clear that repercussions for not doing it right will be the result? How about getting in that players ear with a little heat when he comes in on the sideline?

Guys dropping passes. WRs seem to get rotated in and out willy nilly. Does it affect their ability to establish a rhythm?

Attitude. Do you think maybe Mensa's culture encourages the wrong attitude among players? I suspect so.

That’s lame.  Sorry.  Coaches at every level know the basic fundamentals.  I go to about three high school practices every week and yes they teach it, every single stinking play and have been for decades.  Maybe these kids are just used to people doin everything for them and really think they are too good to listen.  Nah, no 19 - 20 year old kid has his own sense of pride - whatever 

That’s lame.  Sorry.  Coaches at every level know the basic fundamentals.  I go to about three high school practices every week and yes they teach it, every single stinking play and have been for decades.  Maybe these kids are just used to people doin everything for them and really think they are too good to listen.  Nah, no 19 - 20 year old kid has his own sense of pride - whatever 

Your boomer is showing.

• Haha 1

As one esteemed coach said, it isn’t the players that you missed on that hurt you as much as the players you recruited that cannot perform to the level required.

Saban’s answer to this is to recruit them all, evaluate them and quietly run off the ones that cannot perform.

Herman needs to go juco or invest more time recruiting lineman over superstar qb/rb. Our WRs are just as shitty. Maybe some of these dudes need to to be run off.

Why do our players act like double arm amputees? The signal from the brain to their arm is closer than to their legs and yet they cannot use this basic biology to their advantage. They cannot make open field tackles one on one. If that is the best we have then open up the competition to the swim team. Let ballroom centaurs teach then how to man the fuck up.

Anyone from this team that flexes should be shot. They haven’t earned the right to even smile.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Point well taken.  Who’s been drafted higher than Cedric ?  I love, love Colt McCoy - his work ethic, his determination and while at Texas, his coolness under fire and accuracy.  He was awesome, Shipley was great, but neither made  any noise about Heisman or first round picks.

Heisman voting 2008:

1. Bradford 

2. Colt 

3. Tebow 

Heisman voting 2009:

1.Ingram

2. Gerhardt 

3. Colt

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Justin Tucker is our most notable NFL player. That says quite a bit about talent evaluation and development in Austin. Look at OU/LSU/ATM, and the notable players they have. I reckon a lot of those guys are ones we couldn’t get or they didn’t fit our culture.

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Justin Tucker is our most notable NFL player. That says quite a bit about talent evaluation and development in Austin.

Um, no, it doesn't really say anything. He's the best kicker in the NFL and arguably the GOAT. 

Maybe if he was an average kicker.

I mean I get what you are saying, that kickers are generally unheralded, but Tucker is a high bar for anyone coming out of Texas to clear.

No player development is sufficient enough a reason. We owe it to to our commits and players to build on their talent and skills year after year. That's simply not happening. I think too much money is paid to the head coach where assistants and position coach talent is not being prioritized high enough.

For the past nine months since we hired Ash it’s been nonstop talk about how he simplified the defense because of what Orlando had done and was simplifying it to put the players in position to make plays. Were we lied to by all the insiders?
If you don't think this defense is better than last year, I don't know what to tell you.

Are we as good as I want to be? Not by a mile. But we have simplified and we are better. This unit, at least, does seem to be improving week to week.
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You make fast players slow by making them think too much or putting them in positions not to take advantage of their speed.

Bad tackling can be a result of not practicing tackling, or being out of position and having to try to adjust and tackle from a bad angle.

Anyone who watched what Greg Robinson did with Manny Diaz players in literally weeks should know that stud players can look awfully pedestrian under the wrong coaching.

Your argument is that all of the stud recruits we land, who generally have offers from elite programs, all just happen to be busts. I don't buy it. It's coaching.

I never said it wasn’t and I doubled down on that by saying I wanted Herman gone yesteryear and every day since.  My comment was directed, maybe poorly done, at our evaluation of talent and whether these kids are being asked to do things they aren’t capable of.  We seem “to miss” more than most - 

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Not only are guys like Sterns, Foster, and Jalen Green not developing, they are actually getting worse every week. It's quite astounding.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Vince. Not a ton of guys picked in the top-3 in the past 16 drafts. And I mean in total, not specifically UT guys

No.

No.

You have a staggering lack of knowledge/willingness to display that lack of knowledge. So congrats on the unfound conviction?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas