Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Point well taken.  Who’s been drafted higher than Cedric ?  I love, love Colt McCoy - his work ethic, his determination and while at Texas, his coolness under fire and accuracy.  He was awesome, Shipley was great, but neither made  any noise about Heisman or first round picks.  What was Cedric, drafted, No. 2 overall?  
Shall we talk about the great QB’s who Texas never even really gave a look? How about those guys that came right from under their noses. No they went to Tech (Mayfield) or OU or Alabama and all were in the Heisman mention. Some guy named Mahomes just right up the road, right ?  Isn’t that dude at Clemson a Texas boy?  Not sure on that one, but I think so.  

Lots of facts wrong in this. Most have been pointed out.

5 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

That’s lame.  Sorry.  Coaches at every level know the basic fundamentals.  I go to about three high school practices every week and yes they teach it, every single stinking play and have been for decades.  Maybe these kids are just used to people doin everything for them and really think they are too good to listen.  Nah, no 19 - 20 year old kid has his own sense of pride - whatever 

My first football coach demonstrated proper tackling technique in one practice when I was in 6th grade. That's it. After that it was more of correction here and there if needed with individual players. One practice was all it took for me to learn and use going forward. So I'm on the same page with you. It's hard to understand why it doesn't stick with BJ Foster and Co.

When I watch high school games I see a lot of bad tackling, hitting, cutting under the legs using the back. So maybe those coaches are teaching it, but they must not be enforcing it. I don't disagree about the idea of players' attitudes, which goes back to how the coaches manage them.

I bet you BJ Foster would get it right if Nick Saban was his coach.

6 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

I never said it wasn’t and I doubled down on that by saying I wanted Herman gone yesteryear and every day since.  My comment was directed, maybe poorly done, at our evaluation of talent and whether these kids are being asked to do things they aren’t capable of.  We seem “to miss” more than most - 

I am actually wondering whether Yancy has any fault here...  is he able to develop speed into our players or not?

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Vince. Not a ton of guys picked in the top-3 in the past 16 drafts. And I mean in total, not specifically UT guys

No.

No.

You have a staggering lack of knowledge/willingness to display that lack of knowledge. So congrats on the unfound conviction?

No you mean I have an opinion different from yours.  Those things do exist in this world.  I don’t know you, but could have just as easily have the same about you.  But, then again I’m smart enough to know I might not be understanding what you are saying so I choose to never get personal. Not my style - it’s too easy to get caught up in the arrogance of one’s self and lose sight of the point.  A lesson we should all learn.....ahem

No you mean I have an opinion different from yours.  Those things do exist in this world.  I don’t know you, but could have just as easily have the same about you.  But, then again I’m smart enough to know I might not be understanding what you are saying so I choose to never get personal. Not my style - it’s too easy to get caught up in the arrogance of one’s self and lose sight of the point.  A lesson we should all learn.....ahem
But your opinions are bad and you should feel bad about it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

I actually haven't chimed in on your opinion at all. I have pointed out the objectively incorrect statements you've offered in support your opinion. 

And yes it takes a genius to acknowledge that they might be misunderstanding someone else's posts. eg:

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're responding to, but if it's specific to RB's, Jamaal was a star and D'Onta won the Doak Walker.

Since you've brought up Sam and it doesn't seem to be specific to RB, Vince and Colt come to mind as guys who were talked about on the national scene post-Benson. 

I guess what I'm saying is... the fuck are you talking about?

Edited by TommyGufano

39 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

That’s lame.  Sorry.  Coaches at every level know the basic fundamentals.  I go to about three high school practices every week and yes they teach it, every single stinking play and have been for decades.  Maybe these kids are just used to people doin everything for them and really think they are too good to listen.  Nah, no 19 - 20 year old kid has his own sense of pride - whatever 

True 5-star athletes shouldn’t have to be retaught fundamentals.  Maybe tweaked here and there. I watch our D at times and I’ve seriously seen no  or 1star star  High school athletes tackle better.   Plus it has to be the thing which is causing our defensive injuries that have been our standard since the Tom era began.  

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

True 5-star athletes shouldn’t have to be retaught fundamentals.  Maybe tweaked here and there. I watch our D at times and I’ve seriously seen no  or 1star star  High school athletes tackle better.   Plus it has to be the thing which is causing our defensive injuries that have been our standard since the Tom era began.  

Yancy?

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I actually haven't chimed in on your opinion at all. I have pointed out the objectively incorrect statements you've offered in support your opinion. 

And yes it takes a genius to acknowledge that they might be misunderstanding someone else's posts. eg:

I understood your quote exactly and had zero problem with it. I am a relatively new poster (been around awhile but rarely chime in) and I simply replied to your quote when it wasn’t intended. I quoted the wrong quote.  That was my mistake - I left out a quote yesterday. It takes me awhile, but I’ll get there sooner or later.  I appreciate your taking the time to make me aware of it. I hate it when I do shit like that - 

The defensive players are always too busy trying to "lay the wood" to the opposing player. They just need to maintain position and get their hands on the ball carrier and bring them down. Hell, half of our injuries and missed tackles this year, have been when a defender is trying to wrestle the ball carrier down and another defender comes in with a sloberknocker and hits one of his own guys. Don't worry about making a statement, just play sound football.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:
23 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I understood your quote exactly and had zero problem with it. I am a relatively new poster (been around awhile but rarely chime in) and I simply replied to your quote when it wasn’t intended. I quoted the wrong quote.  That was my mistake - I left out a quote yesterday. It takes me awhile, but I’ll get there sooner or later.  I appreciate your taking the time to make me aware of it. I hate it when I do shit like that - 

Read more  

Best post yet

So here’s the list of who should be our standard for our next coach 

Urban, Saban, Dabo, Harsin 

Not our standard

Flick, Harbaugh, Franklin, Fuente, Finkle, Kelly(Chip), Manny Diaz, Mack, O’Brien, Patterson, any coach in Kansas, Gus, any FCS coachBrian Kelly, any high school coach. Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, Kiffin, Muschamp, Major Applewhite, 

maybe

Leach, POP Warner coaches,  The UTSA coach,  

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The defensive players are always too busy trying to "lay the wood" to the opposing player. They just need to maintain position and get their hands on the ball carrier and bring them down. Hell, half of our injuries and missed tackles this year, have been when a defender is trying to wrestle the ball carrier down and another defender comes in with a sloberknocker and hits one of his own guys. Don't worry about making a statement, just play sound football.

CHIEF

Which is stupid in this era when you can ejected easily for that sort of stuff. It’s in your best interest to wrap and being down. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So here’s the list of who should be our standard for our next coach 

Urban, Saban, Dabo, Harsin 

Not our standard

Flick, Harbaugh, Franklin, Fuente, Finkle, Kelly(Chip), Manny Diaz, Mack, O’Brien, Patterson, any coach in Kansas, Gus, any FCS coachBrian Kelly, any high school coach. Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, Kiffin, Muschamp, Major Applewhite, 

maybe

Leach, POP Warner coaches,  The UTSA coach,  

Tracy Flick would probably be a damn good HC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yuck. I was a Freshman in high school that year and I’m pretty sure I was trying to impress some Senior chic. My attention span was elsewhere.

Was a great day for me. I lost my wallet at the game in Rice Stadium, and many hours and gallons of beer/bourbon later, got a car door slammed on my hand in the parking lot of the Yucatan Liquor Stand...

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

To the guy who said Caden sterns and BJ foster aren’t living up to their potential: I’m convinced had they signed with LSU (who they were recruited heavily by and we beat out to get them here), they’d probably be Thorpe award finalists and first round picks if they had signed there. I’m 100% convinced of that.

We waste so much talent, especially in the secondary. I’m tired of it. It’s 100% coaching.

Couldn't disagree more on BJ but regardless it's on the coaches to put him in the ideal role for his physical ability

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Justin Tucker is our most notable NFL player. That says quite a bit about talent evaluation and development in Austin. Look at OU/LSU/ATM, and the notable players they have. I reckon a lot of those guys are ones we couldn’t get or they didn’t fit our culture.

Our two best players in the NFL are a kicker(Tucker) and a punter(Dickson). Let that sink in. Although Tucker is likely a hall of famer at some point if he continues his current career numbers. 

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our two best players in the NFL are a kicker(Tucker) and a punter(Dickson). Let that sink in. Although Tucker is likely a hall of famer at some point if he continues his current career numbers. 

if kickers are allowed in he’s getting in.  one of the absolute best to ever kick the damn ball through the uprights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I guess in Herman’s imagination he envisions Brewer and other lumbering 250 pound guys just trampling over defenders as we impose our will like real manly men.  Meanwhile, even Nick Saban has totally transitioned from that to a guy whose teams throw for 400 yards every game to a bunch of speedy 1st round WRs.

Some players like Waddle can start Day 1. Such players are expensive, though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Why is Urban being offered the job a foregone conclusion?

We're currently doing the junior high dance to avoid public rejection.  Something like passing urb a note that says "If I asked you to the dance and offered you 10 mm per year, would you go as my date?  Circle one- yes, no, maybe."

That's my total reading of tea leaves, I have no actual information.

54 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Our players gain a ton of weight if you believe our rosters.  I haven’t done a study of how it compares to other programs or anything, but at least anecdotally it seems they gain more than they did under Mack and Charlie.  

Ingram is like 40 pounds heavier than when he was a true freshman - if you want a 230 pound power back, maybe don’t recruit a 6’0” 185 pound RB whose notable talent was agility for that role.

Sweat and Coburn came in around 320 (Sweat might have even been a spring enrollee at less than that, and then gained a bunch by the fall).  We let them gain to 350.  It’s not like they were roided out beasts with zero body fat as 320 pound 18 year olds.  

We have a fetish for big lumbering WRs, too.  And we’re a zone blocking team, yet 3 of our starting 5 on the OL are so immobile that defenders pretty much have to run directly into their chests in order to be blocked.

There are some success stories, like Cosmi and Ossai.   But overall I suspect our philosophy is on getting bigger, stronger and tougher, even at the expense of speed and explosiveness - at least relative to how other programs emphasize those areas.  If so, that’s a dumb strategy that basically only Tom Herman would take in the era of spread offense at a school who can recruit the fast guys.  It’s the same mindset that has us playing Cade Brewer at slot WR.  

I guess in Herman’s imagination he envisions Brewer and other lumbering 250 pound guys just trampling over defenders as we impose our will like real manly men.  Meanwhile, even Nick Saban has totally transitioned from that to a guy whose teams throw for 400 yards every game to a bunch of speedy 1st round WRs.

Sweat is one of the biggest reasons I have determined McKnight to be a big part of the team's current woes... He is carrying about 50 pounds too much and it appears the coaches encouraged it and aren't doing anything to correct it.  He's practically a non factor on drives longer than one set of downs and it's all S&C.  He looks bad.  Coburn is about 20 pounds too heavy as well.  He can still move around so it isn't as obvious, but man imagine what he could do with less fat.  The OL have big numbers on the scale but don't have the strength to back it up. This is not even getting into the offensive skill players.

After a few years, S&C really smells 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

After a few years, S&C really smells 

Seems like we just can't get a coach that hires a good S&C coach.  That's probably the most important  assistant coach on the team. 

The last good S&C coach I remember was Dana LeDuc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas