Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

I don't know, maybe there is a group of players that love him, but at the same time, we have heard from almost the outset how much his players don't like him and how often he has almost lost this team for me to believe the team in mass loves him.  Then again, I can remember being extremely defensive about my dad complaining about my high school football coach so who knows.

Stockholm syndrome

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we aren't making the CC game.  this is a team full of average who are porely coached. This is all on CDC.  Has he done his fucking homework like a highly compensated AD should be expected to and have his list of 3 that he knows will come and will he fire Herman such that we can save our recruiting class a bit.

I keep hoping the early signing date gets scrapped so we don't have the problem of not having a coach named because he doesn't want to leave his pour current program while they are still playing games.

of course if it is Urban the above doesn't matter.  you fire Herman as soon as you have Urban agreed to and install Ash.

it is time for Texas to quit dicking around and put the big boy pants on.

Pore, poor, and pour...learn them please.

8 hours ago, Halohal said:

Not so fast my friend...

By CollegeFootballNews.com | October 25, 2020 3:16 am

Valero Alamo Bowl

ESPN, Alamodome, San Antonio, TX
Normal Bowl Tie-Ins: Big 12 vs. Pac-12
Bowl Projection: Texas vs. Oregon

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/10/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-predictions-week-8-2020

we fucking own the Alamo Bowl

and the Texas Bowl

that's about it

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Fuck giving this guy the benefit of being out of it for the conference championship before firing. If he keeps hemorrhaging recruits and prospects, you think he’s gunna be able to coach the classes he ends up with any better? Gotta save the croots, man.

hesitation does not prolong a favorable outcome

all waiting around to fire him does is give him a retarded puncher's chance to do something like lose to Oklahoma State and then fluke-win out-- we're 7-3! we've overcome our slow start which was TOTALLY CAUSED BY COVID and now we got momentum for 2021! Alamo Bowl Champions BACK TO BACK, motherfucker!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

hesitation does not prolong a favorable outcome

all waiting around to fire him does is give him a retarded puncher's chance to do something like lose to Oklahoma State and then fluke-win out-- we're 7-3! we've overcome our slow start which was TOTALLY CAUSED BY COVID and now we got momentum for 2021! Alamo Bowl Champions BACK TO BACK, motherfucker!

Your scenario scares me to death.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Don’t make the kind of comments that are favorable to Strong over Herman.  No metric would lead one to believe Herman was anywhere near as bad as Strong. 

Literally the only one where Charlie leads is players loving the guy.

Players really liked Charlie Strong - do you think in 3-4 years any current players going to be tweeting about Herman?

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

Literally the only one where Charlie leads is players loving the guy.

Players really liked Charlie Strong - do you think in 3-4 years any current players going to be tweeting about Herman?

We have a poster on this thread who knows plenty of players reporting that the players love Herman.

It's not hard to believe at all. Most players love coaches who don't discipline them for their mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m going to provide a counter argument on Herman, but preface it by saying I waited way too long to throw in the towel on Strong.

While Meyer would most probably be a coaching upgrade, there still is a slight chance that Herman could be or become a highly successful coach. CTJ has provide the most damning evidence about Herman by saying that he is widely disliked among the administration and boosters. There is also damning evidence from the on field results last year and this year so far.

However there still are some glimmers of hope with this guy. According to hfd, players mostly like him. I find it hard to believe but let’s assume that’s true. He also has figured out how to upset much stronger opponents on occasion. If you squint really hard, maybe it’s just taking some time to put it all together and they will get better and better for the remainder of the year and into the future.

Man, just typing this makes me realize the odds are greatly against it. What a waste of letters and thumb movements. Nevermind.

I think what this points to is an inconsistency of effort on Herman's part, both in game-planning and player preparation.

There was evidence of it at UH and a mountain of it here.  The guy wins games he maybe shouldn't and loses games he shouldn't.  

I had harbored a glimmer of hope that he would grow out of that.  It still may happen, but most likely not at UT.

What it appears to trace itself back to is simply Herman's arrogance.  Certain teams and coaches he thinks he can impose his will upon without extraordinary effort.  Other teams, he knows he's outmatched talent- and coaching-wise and expends an extra effort to beat them and sometimes pulls it off. 

"Impose his will" is Tom Herman's tragic flaw.  Getting fired from Texas might be just what he needs to tamp down that arrogance to some reasonable level so he can dispense with this ridiculous notion of imposing his will.  Or he may never get over it.

Also maybe points to something worth considering in coaching hires:  has the coach ever dealt with adversity (a losing season or two, a firing, etc.) and overcome it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

"Impose his will" is Tom Herman's tragic flaw.  Getting fired from Texas might be just what he needs to tamp down that arrogance to some reasonable level so he can dispense with this ridiculous notion of imposing his will.  Or he may never get over it.

Guys like Herman never learn from their mistakes because it was never their fault.  If/when he's fired this year, he will blame COVID for preventing his new staff from being able to build a winner.  He will blame EOT for riling up the fanbase.  He will blame the players for not executing his dynamite gameplan.  He will blame everyone but himself for his state of affairs.  That's a deadly flaw that never goes away.  He would be the next Saban, if it wasn't for...  There will always be an excuse to justify his unjustifiable arrogance.  Is he a failure?  No, no, it's everyone else who failed him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Guys like Herman never learn from their mistakes because it was never their fault.  If/when he's fired this year, he will blame COVID for preventing his new staff from being able to build a winner.  He will blame EOT for riling up the fanbase.  He will blame the players for not executing his dynamite gameplan.  He will blame everyone but himself for his state of affairs.  That's a deadly flaw that never goes away.  He would be the next Saban, if it wasn't for...  There will always be an excuse to justify his unjustifiable arrogance.  Is he a failure?  No, no, it's everyone else who failed him.

I think there is a very good chance this is 100% accurate.  He also hasn't really failed in his career as a coach before this though, so maybe this is the first time he has to actually reconcile the results with his performance/actions and fixes those things?

nahhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

We have a poster on this thread who knows plenty of players reporting that the players love Herman.

It's not hard to believe at all. Most players love coaches who don't discipline them for their mistakes.

Yep, you’re correct.  Sadly.  
And much like children who love parents they fit  discipline, they typically end up entitled little brats who amount to very little, as they never hear the worms “No” and never had to work for anything.  Then the real world slaps them upside the head and they crawl in to a fetal position...

42 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

35 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I think there is a very good chance this is 100% accurate.  He also hasn't really failed in his career as a coach before this though, so maybe this is the first time he has to actually reconcile the results with his performance/actions and fixes those things?

nahhhhhhhhh

What you are discussing are traits and behaviors of a narcissist who has been peter principled. Textbook. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What you are discussing are traits and behaviors of a narcissist who has been peter principled. Textbook. 

There's way too many built in excuses this year for him to blame himself for anything. 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

There's way too many built in excuses this year for him to blame himself for anything. 

Yeah, Herman is the perfect coach to represent 2020.  

I won't be surprised to see Mensa use a COVID excuse to postpone games... delaying this Okie Lite game would help Mensa avoid another October loss and make it much more difficult to fire him this season...

• Fuck You 1

I'm not convinced that Herman's "mistakes" are fixable. The evidence to date suggests he's just not a good head coach. Herman has more talent than Mack Brown's last couple of years and worse results. There are lots of things Mack could have (and should have) done better. It's hard to look at any aspect of the team this year and say, if only this one thing were better we'd be great. It's hard to even find something that we're really good at. If Herman had to potential to be a great coach, I'd expect to see some signs of it. I just don't.

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I won't be surprised to see Mensa use a COVID excuse to postpone games... delaying this Okie Lite game would help Mensa avoid another October loss and make it much more difficult to fire him this season...

hey man I hit on this somewhere on this thread. Dude's gunna intentionally spread Covid all throughout his team to get most of the remaining games cancelled. Will it help him keep his job? Who knows. But it's the effort that counts. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

hey man I hit on this somewhere on this thread. Dude's gunna intentionally spread Covid all throughout his team to get most of the remaining games cancelled. Will it help him keep his job? Who knows. But it's the effort that counts. 

This would work except half the team already had covid over the summer.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas