Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

33 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Well, now we can’t even sell the #1 recruit, who is a stud QB, to potential future coaches.  Not seeing why Urban will sign up to coach this mess of a program.  He already has proven himself and is considered one of the best college football coaches with his 3 national championships.  Why the fuck would he risk tarnishing that coming to a program and administration that accepts losing and let’s things get this bad.

You, @satyanash and @RGBIII should NEVER be in the same room together. No way in hell y’all would make it out alive

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

This just is unbelievably bad. CDC has got to make a move quickly. Urban Meyer is the only move. Otherwise I fear we will be wandering in the wilderness another 11 years.

Does any one have any real insight from the Big Cigars?

Everyone knows Herman is done. I think they are just waiting for the most sensible time to drop the axe.

They won't fire the guy in response to a 16-17 year old's decommitment, but I'm sure the fire has been turned up to 11 at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep Urban was crushing the Texas 5 Star from Ohio, imagine he'd be at least the same at Texas.

not urban that was coaches marotti &pantoni

& they continue to be elite

if they follow urban = texas will build a juggernaut 

if not just pray texas admins allows coaches like tosh lupoi to be hired 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1

(Ari Wasserman) Quinn Ewers decommits from Texas: What this means for Tom Herman

Tom Herman has had a rough start to the 2020 season. There was the 33-31 loss to TCU in which the Longhorns fumbled away an opportunity to win the game at the goal line. Then there was the painful overtime loss to rival Oklahoma. But despite those setbacks, the Longhorns’ head coach had a security blanket. That security blanket was five-star quarterback commit Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll, the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite.

That security blanket is now gone. Ewers announced Wednesday evening that he was decommitting from Texas, the latest blow in what seems to be a never-ending list of setbacks for the Texas football program in 2020. Ewers didn’t cite Texas’ uninspiring start to the season as the reason he’s reconsidering his pledge, instead saying he realized that he didn’t explore all of his options as thoroughly as he would have liked before issuing an early commitment.

This doesn’t put Texas in an impossible spot. It’s important to remember the Longhorns have two true freshman quarterbacks who ranked among the top 100 recruits in the nation in the 2020 class — Hudson Card and Ja’Quinden Jackson, both dual-threats and both Texas natives. One of them figures to be the future face of the program once current starter Sam Ehlinger moves on. Ewers, of course, was supposed to be a part of that conversation, but his decommitment doesn’t leave Texas’ quarterback room decimated.

This loss is more symbolic for Texas than anything. Herman was regarded as a quarterback whisperer as he climbed the coaching ranks and made a name for himself nationally with the work he did with third-string quarterback Cardale Jones during Ohio State’s national title run in 2014. But now, with his program struggling, one of the most prominent quarterbacks ever to commit to Texas has decided that the Longhorns may not be the best option.

To make matters worse, five recruiting analysts have already put in Crystal Ball projections for Ohio State on Ewers’ recruiting profile. Ewers, who had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma when he pledged to Texas, now all of a sudden seems to be a Buckeyes lean. Ohio State is currently trending for three other five-star prospects in the 2022 class — cornerbacks Domani Jackson and Will Johnson and receiver Caleb Burton — something that will no doubt influence Ewers’ decision.

It’s hard to look at the program’s recruiting results lately and see much momentum. The Horns have the No. 17 ranked class in the country right now, their lowest-rate group since Herman’s transition class. They’ve picked up two new pledges, three-star lineman Max Merril and 2022 defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau, since the season began. Guilbeau reacted to Ewers’ decommitment on Wednesday night by tweeting: “I have a lot of thinking to do!!” The loss of longtime pledge Billy Bowman, a top-50 recruit, right before Red River was a tough blow. The likelihood that he’ll end up at Oklahoma makes it worse.

Texas is still trying to battle for top targets such as four-star running back LJ Johnson, offensive lineman Bryce Foster and defensive end Shemar Turner. But it’s hard to see the Longhorns winning over those blue-chip players if they don’t have the big 2020 season they’d long expected to back up their pitch.

Ohio State making a move for Ewers comes after the Longhorns lost top safety target Andrew Mukuba — an Austin-area player — to Clemson and lost the Brockermeyer brothers and former QB pledge Jalen Milroe to Alabama. The longer it takes Texas to reemerge as a championship contender, the tougher it’s going to be to keep these powerhouse programs from poaching its top recruits.

Google Herman’s name, and you’ll find a bunch of stories written about how he’s on the hot seat. Now, this happens. Can losing out on Ewers now make the hot seat hotter? The best thing a coach can have on his side is hope for the future. An athletic director may be motivated to keep a coach if it means signing the No. 1 quarterback in a recruiting class. But that hope is gone, and there’s no security blanket for Herman. Ewers is back on the market.

So you have to ask yourself: Is losing out on a five-star quarterback another reason to doubt whether Herman is the right man for the Texas job?

59 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So you have to ask yourself: Is losing out on a five-star quarterback another reason to doubt whether Herman is the right man for the Texas job?

Is this like, a joke I missed or something? Or is Wasserman just that much of a stupid cunt?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Everyone knows Herman is done. I think they are just waiting for the most sensible time to drop the axe.

They won't fire the guy in response to a 16-17 year old's decommitment, but I'm sure the fire has been turned up to 11 at this point.

Well when is the sensible time? When he has finished tanking the program completely? I am not saying Tom is out there telling the recruits to go elsewhere like Mack Brown did but...I mean...if he was would we know that for sure?

I don't think we are getting too many more big commits between now and December in the current state of things...and isn't that setting up our program for future failure?

What is sensible about not firing somebody once you have decided to fire them? There is none that I can think of and many reasons that is not sensible.

But hey maybe it is all just a coincidence. Herman and CDC could still be committed to making this work and losing this Vince Young-rated recruit is not an indication of anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

I'm ok with losing Ewers as a casualty of Herman getting fired and replaced with Meyer. The Herman+Ewers combo wouldn't do shit given awful O line play, mediocre WR, and trash defense.

The recruiting websites say this is a generational player. Now are they right? I don't know. But that might have been a 2006 Rose Bowl that just walked out that door.

And what indication do we have that Herman would have not gotten fired if Ewers had stayed? He would not even have been on campus until 2022.

I never thought I would consider abandoning support for Texas football, but maybe enough is enough.  I'm not a giant booster or anything, but I have definitely contributed over the years.  I saw a likely surefire QB down the road and that gave me a little hope, but seeing him now decommit almost feels like the final straw for me.  I mean, I can have a lot of fun and enjoyment even if the team isn't always winning every single year, but you have to actually enjoy watching the team.  Why subject yourself to negative emotions like that when life has so much more to offer out there?  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

God, normally I’m a kool aid type of guy but this is what Tom has done to me...now I’m mentioned in the same sentence as Satya

In my defense, I'd like to mention that I predicted an 8-4 regular season before 2019 and a 7-3 Big 12 slate before this season. Herman has underperformed my "pessimistic" predictions twice now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wait wait wait... hear me out. What if he decommitted because he found out that Herman is gone? These things can work in both directions like that. 

If he really said that two days ago then I can't think of why he would decommit unless he found out that the HC that recruited him won't be sticking around. Unless he's just full of shit, which I guess is possible.

@Valmy77 you barely beat me to it. We're thinking in the same direction.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ewers did the right thing. The Brocks did the right thing. 

Our coach is a clown. Our players are straight up pussies. We haven't had an upper tier offensive line since 2005. We have one national title in the last 50 years because a transcendent player was able to overcome his own coaches.

Our program is a generational mess. The fix is to do something HUGE. We need to make a ridiculous offer to lure an icon like Urban or John Harbaugh from Baltimore.

We won't. CDC will fail. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

The good news is Tom spent 4 years hiring outside his comfort zone to bring us a monster OL, a running game we can depend on, and a plethora of NFL weapons outside. We don't need an all time great QB to save us or bring the program up from mediocrity!

*checks notes* furk

After the Ewers news, I have moved from indifference to the outcome Saturday to now wanting Gundy to finish Herman off. We have to stop the bleeding before we sink any further. If he is our coach for another 3 weeks plus after this weekend there is no telling what other kind of damage he can cause. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas